“Beautifully maintained but perhaps not fully appreciated by locals?”

Taukkyan War Cemetery
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Private Cultural Day Trip to Bago from Yangon
More attraction details
Owner description: Taukkyan War Cemetery is in Taukkyan town in the township of Mingaladon, Yangon greater area, on the main highway No 1 Pyay Road. From the centre of the city of Yangon, it is 21 miles north and 11 miles from the international airport, 45 minutes drive from the centre of Rankgoon and 24 minutes from the International airport. Exact location of the cemetery is North (17º02'08.24") and East (96º07'55.28").
York, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautifully maintained but perhaps not fully appreciated by locals?”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

I went there with my parents on a Saturday afternoon. Despite it being monsoon season, it was an un characteristically sunny day, which made the stone monument almost gleam. It was incredibly moving to stand before rows and rows of war dead, some of them even younger than me. The names of soldiers from all over the British empire are engraved on the columns of the central monument. There's a small army of gardeners to maintain the site and unlike most other things in Burma, it's still in pristine condition. I was surprised at the nonchalant attitudes of the locals, who seemed to view it as nothing more than a nice park to spend with their partner or friends. However, the worst thing which made me really kick off was a tourist (my compatriot no less!) who was sitting on top of a memorial sign posing for a photo. I dearly hope I never run into her again, though after my haranguing I think the feeling is mutual.

5 Thank KHTC

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“10 minutes”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

If you are going to see Golden Rock, you will pass the Memorial to the Forgotten War. We were there around 10 minutes.

Visited August 2014
Leeds, England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very poignant, very peaceful.”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I have been wanting to go to this cemetery for a long while, and finally had the chance about a month ago. The grounds are amazingly well looked after, and on the whole the people are fairly respectful (expect to see people having wedding photos taken as this is the best kept green area in Yangon). However the visit was slightly marred after I saw some local people just throwing rubbish on the ground about 20 feet from the rubbish bin. After hearing how respectful the local people are it was quite shocking to see the myth is not the reality. All in all a very enjoyable visit, but if you are here a short time, try to go either when arriving at the airport or before leaving, as it is closer to the airport than to downtown.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank huddy147
Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“70 years later my mum meets her dad”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My grandfather was killed in Burma in March 1944, three months after my mother was born. He never got to meet my mum. So it was a special experience when my sister and I took Mum to Taukkyan to meet the father she never met. Obviously a very personal experience for us, but I would think still worth a visit for anyone with a sense of history - less than an hour by taxi from Yangon.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Wilburtan
Ezulwini, Swaziland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Food for thought.”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This was a personal pilgrimage, although I don't have a relative there, there are certainly friends of my family. I was impressed by the air of peace and quiet, a space to reflect on this life, this troubled world we still live in, in spite of the thousands who died to try and bring lasting peace. Beautifully maintained.

Visited May 2014