“Decent hotel close to a grocery store”
Review of Panorama Hotel

Panorama Hotel
Ranked #52 of 152 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Prague, Czech Republic
“Decent hotel close to a grocery store”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed our first night in Myanmar - and we really appreciated that the hotel made our rooms available from early morning (we checked in at about 8-9 am). Another positive was working (and free) wifi - in a country where western cellphones still don't work, this is the only way to get to communicate with the rest of the world from Myanmar.
Hotel itself is quite big, our group was dispersed throughout different floors and the general conclusion seemed to be that the higher the better - I myself was on 2nd floor with a horrific view to some sort of a yard - ended up not even opening the shades as a result thereof.
Otherwise, rooms were clean, A/C worked, drinking water provided and even refilled. Breakfast was nothing special - however there was some very nice fresh fruit.
Just to note that there is a very well stocked grocery store just around the corner from the hotel (right side when you leave) - this proved to be our popular source of Myanmar - the local beer of choice :)

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the city.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KachkaUmich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was the only good hotel available to us during our trip to Myanmar last year. Most of the hotels were fully booked and we were offered Panorama instead. We requested to stay at 8th and 9th floor. My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The buffet breakfast was so-so, not so much choices. Overall a good stay at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kakku2012
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour arranged by a local agency as well. This is a budget hotel, so that is fine if this is what you are expecting. The staff was nice (they gave us breakfast boxes when we left very early) and it was relatively clean, but the food at the restaurant was not good, the free breakfast is not really worth it, and there was absolutely no water pressure in the shower. It is not a comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guizzi123

Travelers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The local travel company who arranged for my tour could not book me at the other hotel that I wanted to stay at. But they could book me at this hotel. I spent two nights. The very first night in Maynmar and the very last night in Myanmar.

I do not know the room rate that my travel agency had negotiated with this hotel but I could say that it is not expensive.

It takes approximately 30 minutes to and from the airport. And less than 10 minutes to Shwe Dagon Pagoda. And a short walk to down town market area. Although I did not go to the market area.

The reception, the bell boys and the other staff members were welcoming. The check-in was quick and hassel free. In fact when I returned after 7 days for my last night they had my passport info from the first night stay and did not ask for the passport. The reception desk exchanges the currency both ways at good rates without the fuss of requiring the crisp new bills.

My single room was on the fifth floor and it was facing the back of the hotel. I did not hear any street noise. The room was spacious and well furnished. The bathroom was clean and had all the necessary toiletries. The bed and linens were also good. The A/C in the room worked well. A small TV had international channels. Teak wood closet and furniture were in good condition.The hotel does have an elevator.

Since the site seeing consumed most of my day time, I opted to have dinner at the hotel. The menu had items from Chinese, Indian. local and wetsern cuisines. The overall food was good and moderately priced. The beer was served cold and was refreshing.

Since I had to catch early morning flights, I did not have breakfast at the hotel but they did provide me with a box containing two boiled eggs, banana, bread etc. They could definitely improve up on this package though. This is the only negative comment I have for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floor and away from the front street to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Midcap
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here as part of a locally arranged tour. Rooms were clean and functional and toilets were clean with basic amenities such as toothbrushes. What was somewhat annoying was the constant noise as we were assigned a room right next to the main road / highway and the constant honking of car horns and traffic is never ending.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Its no great shakes but clean and comfortable stay. If you are just staying one night for an internal flight to Bagan or Lake Inle the next day it's really worth it at around 95 USD as there is not much to offer in terms of mid range in Yangon. The more established chains are taking advantage of the opening up of Myanmar and are unreasonably hiking up the prices to 250 - 300 USD per night for what is still a mediocre stay.So in terms of pricing versus the more established chains it is well worth the money. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is located in downtown. Sakura Tower (the highest building in Myanmar) is just close.
I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The building and a room is not new, but all people working for reception and maintenance were friendly. When I was going to charge battery for the camera, I found it was difficult to insert BF type plug to consent and called, then a maintenance man came to check and brought an extention code with five consents to meet BF type plug.
The next day, when I came back to my room, two towels were fold like opposite cranes and put on the bed. The third day, I had to leave at 7.00 a.m. and at the previous evening I asked reception people to prepare breakfast box at 6.00 o'clock, she (one of the maintenance people) brought it to my room. After I finished eating breakfast in my room, I came down to the reception. I waited for a driver to pick me up to Nay Pyi Taw, but he didn't come at the appointed time (7.00a.m.). While I was waiting, a porter helped me so much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo