“Nice B&B, nice owner!”

Ranked #12 of 167 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Penang
“Nice B&B, nice owner!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When I first touched Yangon, it was quite late which I already got in touch with the owner before I travelled. It was really nice of her to advise me to catch the cab from the airport as it will only cost me USD 10 instead of requesting her to arrange for me as that would cost me more. Well obviously, I would want a cheaper avenue. It is located in a suburb, quite a distance away from the city but it is quiet and surrounded with "rich man's house".

When I reached, I was served with a welcome drink and given a room downstairs. The room was cozy, clean and neat. Good enough for me.I admit it is a little pricy, USD60 for a night. I was ifeeling hungry and when I asked for the menu, it was all listed in USDs and pricy too. They actually have a kitchen themselves. Hence, I spoke to the owner and asked for alternatives, it was really kind of her to suggest a pizza place nearly which serves kickass awesome pizza just that I gotta catch a cab which cost about 2USD.

It was just a one night sleepover. The next morning, I was served with american breakfast, very nice and variety of tropical fruits. (breakfast included with the room) The owner even helped me to purchase the bus ticket to Bagan. Since the bus is leaving at 8pm, she allows me to have my bags kept at her place till then and I went roaming and visiting temples in the afternoon. She helped to recommend the places which I should visit and even helped me to bargain for the cab as I was leaving from her place.

I couldn't find any accom as I returned from Bagan. I dropped her an email telling her so and it was unfortunate that her rooms are all full which she is unable to spare for me any. But it was really really nice of her to allow me to drop my bags as I reached her place at 5am! She spare a corner for me in the living room which I could rest at least until the sun rises and it was pouring heavily that time. I felt so thankful that she was willing to help me and offered me a shelter.

Well, below link would be some of the pictures of the B&B:

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank millymin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is excellent value for Yangon, and despite being located a bit out of the centre of town it is only a few minutes in by taxi and the staff are very helpful in organising transport. The area itself is quite interesting with huge embassy buildings and makes for a pleasant walk into town if you don't mind the heat.
Rooms were clean and very pretty, breakfast delicious and with more food than we could eat, and the staff went to a lot of effort in making sure we were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah A
Malaysia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel is located in a nice leafy suburb, near embassies & expat-type shops plus Shwedagon Paya.

The exterior & entrance to the inn was tasteful, and pleasant. A rather surly bellboy greeted us but we were warmed by the lovely welcome refreshments they prepared for us. The breakfast was very good, with fresh fruit, toast with nice butter and jam and a lovely made omellete.

We paid US$70 for a room & was assigned to a small one on the ground floor. Size was bearable but not the dust on the dressing table, floor & almost on all surfaces. The fridge was large, with only water provided-no other type snacks and the shampoos had labels peeling off them, it was clear the bottles were there for a while and staff/owners neglected to replace them for new guests.

We were disappointed as we chose this hotel based on the positive reviews on tripadvisor, maybe we were given one of the 'cheaper' rooms. I really wished they could have at least mopped the floors for guests.

Other info: Location, bit far from town centre, walking distance to Shwedagon Paya. A nice supermarket called Marketplace with cafes & eateries nearby, avoid the standalone Antique bar-they overcharge on local beer, about three times the normal price.

May be a nice choice for those who want peace & quiet but insist they clean the rooms properly first.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on second floor, which are probably more spacious and expensive. Ask staff to clean r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SusTam
Shanghai, China
Reviewed October 5, 2012

A bit far from central Yangon. Located in a posh area of Yangon surrounding by some nice colonial Villa. We stay for one night in a ground floor room for 65$, at the begining of our Myanmar trip. The room was dark, quite old and not really charming and the bathroom not fresh. But like most of time in Myanmar people were really helpful and warmly welcomed us!.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid the room at the ground floor who are quite dark...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sabias
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived in Burma and we were picked up at the airport by a car from the Classique Inn. The driver was kind enough to make a stop for us so that we could get our tickets for Mandalay on the way.
The inn is a beautiful teak building run by Kalya Aye and her family including her mother.
Upon arriving we were served a cold glass of watermelon juice. What a refreshing way to start our visit.
Our room was spacious and immaculate. Teak everywhere, a modern bathroom and a very comfortable king sized bed on the second floor.
Kalya and her family were warm and kind and gentle and very knowledgeable about their city. Kalya graciously arranged for us to travel to Bago with a van a driver and a guide. She also got us another guide for a day in Yangon. Both guides were fluent in English and very knowledgeable.
We fell in love with Kalya and her family and with the Burmese tradition of making you feel welcome and comfortable.
Breakfast eaten on tables outside could be either American style fruit toast eggs and coffee or Burmese style soup fresh fruit, and coffee. Either choice was well prepared and gently served by a handsome young man who was polite and gracious.
Our stay there was an absolute joy.
If we are ever able to return to Burma, we will certainly return to the Classique Inn.

Room Tip: The room with the king size bed upstairs was a great choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Classique Inn is tucked away in a quiet, affluent suburban neighbourhood, about a 10-15 min taxi ride from downtown. The place is beautiful, with its traditional teak furnishing and intimate atmosphere, the service was impeccable, and my teak double room was spotless, good-sized and well-furnished, with a TV and mini-fridge. I really enjoyed having a great Myanmar-style complimentary breakfast served in the courtyard every morning - there's also a Western option. For 65/ night for a double I feel this place is a steal compared to the other higher-end options in Yangon, plus you get to feel like you're a guest warmly welcomed into someone's house rather than an impersonal hotel experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This place is just darling. Stayed downstairs two (2) nights, a small but very nice room, then stayed in an upstairs room that was very large for one night on the return trip. I loved that it was absolutely spotless and the wood in the place is just beautiful.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business