“A good place to buy a souvenir”

Bogyoke Aung San Market
Private Half-Day Yangon Walking Tour
$74.66*
Yangon City Sightseeing Tour
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The markets are quite large, covering several buildings and an outside road.

The items that can be purchased at the markets include:- good quality jewellery, lots of jade, other semi precious stones, lacquer ware, wooden items, some antiques, paintings and other art, clothing and T shirts.

The quality ranges from good to poor, and prices are generally according to quality.You can easily tell the quality just by looking. Age of antiques is wholly dependant on what the seller tells you.

There is some bargaining, although not as 'cut throat' as in Bangkok. The sellers rarely go much under the asking price and are quite prepared for you to walk away if you offer too much less. The sellers are usually friendly and will take no for an answer.

In the main undercover thoroughfare, you will be harrassed by people wanting to seel fans, maps and postcards. There appears to be a bit of a scam where a woman and two younger girls dressed as nuns will ask you to make a donation. We gave one of them $1 and the others really, really harrassed us to give them money----which was quite un nunlike behaviour---which lead us to think it was a scam. (It may or may not be a scam, but we have never experienced such behaviour from nuns anywhere in Asia).

The sellers will take local currency as well as dollars. If you buy with dollars, the exchange rate will not be in your favour, so try to have both currencies.

The sellers and local visitors to the market often wll smile at you, and really love it when you smile back. They will also say 'hello' and I have seen them appear disappointed when a foreigner does not reply.

I recommend this market as a must do when visiting Yangon, great place, some good items to purchase and a nice experience.

2  Thank WendyandLyn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,453)

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

not much of a tourist destination. Here is where the locals come to shop, but a good place to stop off for t-shirts and other souvenirs. You'll find items here that the stalls that line Shwedagon's entrances do not carry (many things in homage to Aung San Suu Kyi and the NLD).

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Located 1km and 500 Meters from Parkroyal Hotel and Traders Hotel respectively making this place a convenient stop. Hundreds of small shops selling gems stones, fabrics, handicrafts (looks like from Thailand), drawing and etc. The market hour is from 9am to 5 pm and I suspect Monday is their off-trading day. Worth to visit as you also will see Burmese flocking this place for their 'tea-break'. Taxi is relatively easy to get to drive u back to hotel, despite no metering charge, the cabbies will quote you reasonable fare back to hotels.

1  Thank MNMY
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is an amazing place. If you had visited the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, you would immediately think of this as The Grand Bazaar of Yangon. A huge area populated by individual shops selling absolutely everything from souvenirs to expensive jewelry. It was fun just to walk around and look at what is available. We bought several things including a ruby cross that was just beautiful and a very good value. There are water colors to buy, an Islamic shop of Koranic calligraphy, t-shirt shops, antique shops, and the rest. You can easily spend three hours if your legs don't give out. Many beggars and children hawking all kinds of things. We succumbed to many of them but it was a fun outing and it is highly recommended. It won't be forgotten soon.

4  Thank MojaveMax
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came here on our last day in Myanmar and only had about 1 hour to spare for shopping. We were a bit confused at first as we saw two big markets situated opposite each other. But from what we recall from our hotel's front desk instructions, we settled on the older looking market. This turned out to be the New Bog-yoke A U N G San Market and the newer looking one across the road is the Bog-yoke A U N G San Market.

We (or rather I as my hubby was not planning to buy anything) were pretty focused as to what we want to buy: L O N G Y I and T H A N A K A powder. The market was very big with stalls selling the same kind of stuff congregating together. It was most interesting to see groups of shops selling female inner wear, medicine of all kinds piled high all the way to the roof of the shops, hats, clothes, food, drinks etc. After walking round and round for about 15 min or so, we found the L O N G Y I "department". Didn't like the ready-made L O N G Y I so opted for a piece of cloth to be made into L O N G Y I immediately by the seamstresses located opposite the shop. I didn't bargain with the kind-looking old lady whom I bought the L O N G Y I from (it was only 7,500 local currency which is about $ 8.80). In the end, the nice old lady gave me a discount of 500 K ($0.50) which delighted me as I was totally not expecting it.

Besides the L O N G Y I, I also bought a nice durable hair clip that cost only about $0.30. It costs about 5 times more in my country for something similar. In the end, did not purchase T H A N A K A powder as I was hoping to buy a small quantity in a tiny tube or case, but it all came in standard sizes. We saw mostly locals shopping at the NEW market with very few tourists. I guess most of them have gone to the more famous one across the road.

The next time we visit Yangon I will definitely hop over to the other market to explore. Will also make sure we have at least half a day to shop here as there are just too many things to see and buy.

2  Thank vanzephyr