“Lose Yourself In The Maze Of Amazing Crafts At The Market”

Bogyoke Aung San Market
Private Half-Day Yangon Walking Tour
$74.66*
Yangon City Sightseeing Tour
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This market is open from 9am to 5pm so be prepared to spend a whole day there. They really close at 5pm sharp so make sure you are out of the building by then because the guards will come and close down the shutters. We almost got caught within the confines of the building but got out in time. It is such a huge place that it is quite easy to lose yourself in it. You may find many stalls selling similar things but you will also be able to find some truly unique crafts if you take your time to browse. Bargaining is common practice. However, some of the jade earrings and bracelets were cheaper at the airport even after knocking down the price at the market. So don't worry if you miss out on some deals at the market unless if you really like that particular style or pattern. Be sure to bring enough kyats with you or you will be forced to use US Dollars. Something worth buying at the markets are the paintings. You can get them at a reasonable price after bargaining and you know they are the originals! And do not leave Myanmar without buying their traditional costume - Longji. They are inexpensive and beautiful. Men's longji generally are about 7,500 kyats for two pieces and women's longji are between 4,000 - 9,000 kyats each depending on the material and pattern. Ladies, be sure to try the tanakha on your faces. There are some women selling what would look like mini wooden barks and you can actually ask them if they would be willing to let you try some on. Just be mindful of pickpockets but other than that, enjoy yourself strolling through the amazing gems and handicraft that Yangon has to offer and be sure to make friends with the locals by greeting them, "Mingalaba."

5  Thank PearlyS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

997 - 1,001 of 1,452 reviews

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Had just about everything. Lots of handicrafts, cheap clothes (both traditional and foreign) and massive amounts of jewellery. I'm not into jewellery but I spent some time looking. Looked up western prices later and Yangon's prices seemed a fraction of that. E.g., $850 for a silver bracelet with 24 huge deep blue sapphires. The market is also the place for changing money. No need to look around, people will approach you. Go to the back of a stall and keep an eye on the money but all of the Indians I changed with were honest.

1  Thank mrdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Located in a historic streetcar barn in the city center the Bokyoke Market, also known as the Scott Market, is one of Yangon's most captivating tourist attractions. The large building and its annexes house hundreds of shops and stalls selling handcrafts, textiles, antiques works of art, jewellery and an unmatched selection of gem stones from every part of Burma. The market, like everywhere else in the country, is a very physically safe place to go with nary a pickpocket or aggressive tout in sight. If you are in the market for gems or jade watch out for fakes. You can authenticate your purchases at FGA Testing Lab (71, C-Block) where you can authenticate your purchases for US$1 each.

5  Thank Dragonscreen
Reviewed July 14, 2011

bogyoke market is where we go to buy souvenirs. they have a lot of jewelry, gemstones, antiques, handicrafts, t-shirts, clothes, specially, the longyi which is the traditional cloth worn around the waist by most burmese. there are also currency exchange dealers around the area. rate at the time we went was 800 kyats to us$1.

travel time from shwedagon or winner inn where we stayed was about 15 minutes. taxi fare is us$3.

bogyoke is closed on mondays.

7  Thank angeladelmar
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Spent a quarter day at the Bogyoke Market......got there by taking a train to Yangon Central Station....a 102-12 minutes walk from the station...

This place has alot to offer.........Gems, jewellery, handicrafts, Paintings, curios, food stuff,antiques, clothes-tailored and suits and fruits and vegetables at some side.....

The most crowded was the Gems and Jewellery side...........I do not have much of an Idea about gems an jewellery, but I did notice that many tourists as well as some friendly- not so busy shop owners (who could also converse in English) claim that their prices were amongst the best in the world !!!! I need somebody to vouch for that...Ill be following this review.

The most surprising thing........that actually rather 'diaspointed' me was the fact that NONE of the shop owners had a replica of the magnificient Shwe Dagon.........
Being the highlight of Yangon...or rather Myanmar......I did not see a single stone/marble/Ivory or any type of Replica of the Shwe Dagon...........Many offered me paitings, shirts and photographs of the Shwe Dagon..but I just wanted that ...so I came back empty handed..

I feel that like in Siem Reap, if not the entire Cambodia.......one can easily get their hands on a stone replica (some offer many other exquisite varieties) of the Angkor Wat...........I was hoping to get my hands on a Shwe Dagon Pagoda.......Frankly I was a little upset.................At the end of my trip.I finally got hold of the Myanmar Lion in Sandal Wood, Bone Ivory and a Shwe Dagon T-Shirt........each for a petty USD 5/- ...but I never got what I was actually looking for...........

If any shop-owner or Myanmarese is around....pls pls try and give this a serious thought.

To sum it up.........It was not a bad place, as there is alot on offer.also well priced (the Gems particularly)I believe and loads of Variety......I checked out alot of Burma pre-Myanmar Banknotes and Coins (as I am a numismatist)...but ended up buying a set of Myanmar Notes from opposite the Market, from a street-vendor, at little more than half the price it was available at the Bogyoke Market.......

The atmosphere,freindliness and people around seem genuine and nice.......so went back with a smile !

3  Thank gautammasand