“Idyllic walkway”

$99.00*
and up
Private Yangon City Guided Tour with Lunch
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Kandawgyi Park was a surprise discovery for me as I walked from my hotel to Shwedagon Pagoda on my first day in Yangon. A visit to this park went in my must-see list immediately!

A picturesque park overlooking a beautiful Kandawgyi Lake, and a wooden walkway which takes one around the lake; it was surreal. And the sight of Karaweik Palace from a distance against overcast skies is magical!

There's an entry fee of 2 USD and the park closes at 5 p.m. I visited this place in mid-Aug during morning hours, and the weather then alternated between bright sun and light showers, which offered a welcome relief from the humidity. Keep an umbrella and a bottle of water handy, though there is a small retail store at the main entrance. I accessed the park via the entrance opposite to the Yangon Zoological Garden.

Tip: Don't rush through this place or treat it like another tourist attraction. This is definitely a place to unwind and relax with a good book and some soulful music.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"sunset"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you want to have an idea of what the locals do in weekends and holidays, you will enjoy visiting this park.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having walked through the Zoo from South to North I found myself looking across a lake, which I now know to be the Kandawgyi Park. For things to stumble across, this is probably one of the luckiest. OK so I was accosted by the ticket seller at the entrance (rather shocked at having to pay to enter what I naively thought was a public area), but 2000Ks (2USD) really isn't the end of the world, and you never know some of that may go to the upkeep of the grounds (maybe I'm being naive again..).

I'm glad I paid though. The lake is serene and beautiful and a network of boardwalks allows you to walk from any side to any other side across it. Picking one branch at random I came across the Karaweik Palace which is a pretty amazing sight as it appears to be a monstrous temple floating on the lake. I will definitely be going back at some point for a visit there. If you want a place out of the way from the hustle and bustle of the city I would recommend a morning/afternoon in the park grounds as you won't be bothered by anyone.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Located halfway between the airport and downtown. Close to Shwe Dagon Pagoda. Lots of big old trees, shady arfeas but not well maintained..