“Nice and clean and super friendly”

and 1 more site!
Bike World Bed, Breakfast & Bike
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great location with 15 mins from the airport and then ten mins to the centre of town. Rooms are very clean and the level of service was brilliant, friendly and helpful. Auntie Soe Soe and Uncle Jeff and staff were so helpful with money changing, booking flights and accommodation and taxis etc.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank BBM1978

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed in the first new room on fri17th,and our friends occupied more new rooms on the following 2 nights.i had also stayed in the older rooms and had found them quite good value.I wholeheartedly endorse the positive comments made by other reviewers,especially when it comes to Jeff and SoeSoe.Also did the Sunday bike ride,found it exhilarating,good to get out of the city,and great support for the village tea houses for drinks and lunch.Jeff can also arrange bike tours in various other parts of Myanmar,and it's a fantastic way to see this country.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Highly recommend this place! Its located in a vey safe area (most of Myanmar is very safe) near the Swiss and Israeli embassies, Yangon University, and Aung San Su Kyis’s home. Some of the best food we had (Lakeside seafood restaurant and teahouse Mohinga) were within walking distance. Jeff and Soe soe (the owners) are great and very warming. One of them is usually around but they run some other business and are expanding the guesthouse at the moment so may be tied up at times. There are some other staff though always around.

Jeff organizes Friday night midnight bike rides through the city which I definitely recommend. He coordinates a local bike club so we met some other locals and expats and it’s a good way to orient yourself to the city. Its generally safe and there are some people that look after the group but you are on the road with Myanmar traffic so keep that in mind. I'm not an active cycler and thought it was fine. Ends at the teahouse or having a beer so bring a little cash. There is also a longer ride on Sunday organised outside the city if you are there during this time. Jeff is very into cycling and they also own a separate bike store so if you want other itineraries around the country for cycling be sure to have a chat with him.

Double rooms were nice with mini-fridge, tv, and ac. Bed was comfortable and the wifi is the best you'll get in Myanmar. Some rooms have shared bathrooms other have privates. They were in the midst of building a new wing with some new rooms so that should be done in the next month or so. (keep this in mind too if you are planning to sleep during day right now- it can get a bit loud).

The place is between airport and downtown and is about a $3-4 cab to the main area of town and $6 from/to airport. Its a rickshaw ride to the train station where you can take a 20 minute ride to town or a 3 hour ride around Yangon (recommended) to see the surrounding life and villages. The trains (at least the 'special' train for tourists and people who can pay the $1) is slow but nice and not too crowded.

Soe soe and Jeff are great and be sure to discuss what you want to do while in Yangon and they can help you out. Soe soe even drove us last minute before we left for Mohinga (national dish) and tea because hadn't been able to try it yet! Try this its delicious. Also the seafood restaurant by the lake that was recommend has amazing seafood and seafood curries.

Breakfast is included which is bread, fruit, eggs, and coffee/tea. The dining table is a great place to meet other travelers and get tips for around Myanmar since the info online is rapidly changing and not always reliable.

The price is on par with what we paid around Myanmar for similar accommodation. Myanmar in general is more expensive than other areas in SE Asia but is growing rapidly so this may change in a few years but expect to pay around $30-90 for this type of accommodation depending on where you are.

I saw someone else here compared this location negatively with the Strand. This is hilarious because the Strand is like a $500-1000/per night Ritz Carlton/Grand Hyatt-type place.

Like most places in Myanmar, would recommend just sending a confirmation email a week or two out from travel regardless of where or how far back you booked. Also get directions to places in Burmese (most taxi driver only have a basic knowledge on english)

What to do in Yangon? Shwedagon pagoda and Bogyoke Aung San Market are the main things people check out. Walking around downtown is nice and definitely check out the train. For 'nightlife' Chinatown is a great place to people watch and have cheap food and beers until 10/11. There are some new later places popping up around that we read about online but didn't make it out to those. In general the nightlife around Myanmar is quite limited and more about having dinner/drinks than staying out all night (we also read 'fashion show' means brothel). Most places around town take Kyat and there are a decent amount of C B Bank ATMs throughout the city now which take intl cards.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sean B
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We didn't try the bikes, but we did try the beds, the breakfast and had a great stay at this family run guest house. The neighborhood is very safe as it's right in the middle of many embassy residences. In terms of safety this location was great and it also offered local tea shops, delicious mohinga for breakfast just around the corner and market areas in 10 minute walking distance. To reach downtown sites such as the main pagodas, the Bogyoke market, etc, the easiest way to get around was by taxi. Here the location of the guest house ended up digging into our pockets quite a fair bit, because it is set away from the main city area. We ended up walking a lot instead of getting cabs everywhere and also got much better at bargaining with taxi drivers as we spent more time in the city, so we recommend you always bargain for at least 1000-2000K less than the cab driver initially asks for. As soon as they see you walk away they will without fail give in to your asking price. If you have more time, I'm sure renting a bike would solve this issue. We were on a tight schedule in Yangon and still recovering from the famed stomach flu, so biking was a bit difficult.

Let me first write about the host. Auntie Soe Soe was an absolute delight. A very lovely lady and with a big heart for her traveling guests. She came to our aid, as soon as she heard about my friend's stomach flu, providing Burmese herbal medicine and some hot tea. While my friend was in bed sleeping off her aching tummy, I ended up joining Auntie Soe Soe and fellow travelers staying at Bike World for a round of tea, tea leaf salad and banana prata at the local coffee shop around the corner. Afterwards she was very sweet and gave us a culinary trip through the pagoda festival happening in the neighborhood. We got to try all sorts of snacks, sweets, local street food and took part in playing games with the locals. I was very glad Auntie Soe Soe took me under her wing, while my friend was sleeping in our room to recover. She never failed to make us feel at home and always offered us tea or food when we returned back to her guest house.

We stayed in 2 different rooms. Our first night we stayed in one of the top floor rooms called "Saddle" with a double bed and a private bath. On our last night in Myanmar, after returning from our travels through Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake, we returned to Bike World for another night and slept in a room called "Jeff", which we later found out was Auntie Soe Soe's husband's bedroom, who had let us sleep there for a night, as there was a mix-up in some of the room reservations. Both rooms, which we had stayed in were clean, tidy and comfortable. Wifi was great. The towels provided were clean, bottled water was provided and the showers always had hot water. The first room (Saddle) had a safe, a fridge, a TV and a small table to place belongings. The second room (Jeff) didn't have a safe or fridge, as it was probably not really meant to be a guest bedroom. The only downside of this room was that the toilet did not have a toilet seat, so for 2 girls sharing the room it was a bit tricky, especially since one of us had the stomach flu so a toilet seat would have been more comfortable. Again, I assume this room was not meant to be a proper guest room.

The staff helping out at this guest house were all very kind and helpful. Sometimes English was a bit limited, but it didn't hinder us. Auntie Soe Soe spoke great English if there was ever any need for more clarity. The breakfast was prepared by the girls working at the guesthouse and they seamed to serve anything their guests asked for. Two Thai guys who ate with us one morning had rice, omelet and beef curry for breakfast. We opted for fried egg, toast, local fruit, and very delicious black tea with milk. So it seemed like nothing was too much trouble to ask for.

Overall a really wonderful stay, warm and friendly faces, comfortable rooms and a quiet location. Great value for money, especially with the roaring prices in Yangon. Hopefully we will get to return one day. :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank xenolini
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here at the end of a 2 week trip around Myanmar and based my decision on Trip Advisor reviews.
I arrived in the late afternoon as had been doing last minute sightseeing around Yangon. Aunty Soe Soe was so welcoming and as I was on my own was concerned that I was OK, had eaten enough etc . After I went for dinner,she took me out on a night bike ride around the neighbourhood which was a fantastic end to a great trip.
The room was very clean and excellent WIFI.
Left quite early in the morning but a fantastic breakfast and got to meet other travellers and Jeff.
Was close to the airport and would definitely recommend this place to stay as genuinely friendly, incredibly hospitable and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SaskiaT2014
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The owner, a burmese lady, is indeed very nice. howver when I arrived after 14 hours travel, I found a terrible single room with a window only in the wc and a terrible noise going on from 8 o clock am till 4 pm..they are building new rooms and were surprised I asked to change room, as everybody leaves early in the morning to go visiting..
finally I got a good bigger room, but only because the employee of the hotel proposed it to the english owner, who had told me there is no alternative.
I found a much better hotel, Strand hotel, a bit more expensive but perfect.

Room Tip: it does not deserve number one for me in the list of bed and breakfast of yangon
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank molliquette
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I support the other reviews here. Bike World provides a friendly value for money service. Soe Soe treated everyone like a close friend and was always available to offer travel advice etc. I was invitred on the Friday night bicycle ride around the City Centre, which was great fun (25 km leave 9pm- return midnight) because it is cooler then and not many cars on the road.

I was given a lift into the City by Soe Soe, saving me the taxi fare (she was going into the city anyway- but this is the sort of friendly helpful attitude that prevails).

Breakfast was very good. Wifi in the rooms was fast and free.

I had dinner at the seafood restaurant by the lake a 15 min walk away- I recommend it.

The City Centre is about 15-20 mins away by car.

I will stay there again!

Room Tip: Some cheaper rooms have shared bathroom. Ensure you specify a private bathroom if you want one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo