“You will be taken care off”

and 1 more site!
Bike World Bed, Breakfast & Bike
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Jeff and Sue Sue have truly understood what travelers want. Everything is clean, the rooms are more then good enough, but what stands out is the hospitality and ability to help you out where you need it. An incredible gift to someone who wants to know a thing or two about what to do next.

We were originally just staying here for two days, but got extended another day as both me and my girlfriend got a bug from a local street restaurant. I have never been more taken care off, and while being under the weather she took care of everything from organizing our trip, getting us anything we wanted concerning food or drink, and just making us feel incredibly welcome.

After just a couple of days I truly feel at home here, and could not recommend a place higher.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Knut E

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've been traveling to Yangon for many years. I've stayed primarily at the luxury hotels. However, since the prices have increased over 300%, I looked for other lodging options. Some of those options we absolutely disgusting. Then, I discovered Bike World. Due to the good reviews, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm very happy that I did. I was pleased with every aspect of my stay. The rooms are clean, functional and comfortable. The best part of my experience was the hospitality. The owners, management and staff were a total joy and blessing. If you're looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in Yangon, this is it.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Todd P
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I write this review to warn fellow travellers. Encouraged by good reviews on Tripadvisor, I had booked a room several months in advance. I had emails from Soe Soe confirming the room, price etc. Besides email correspondence, I had called several times from overseas & all seemed well.

When I turned up, she was not present but the maid told me that I "had no booking" and that my chosen room (indicated in the email from Soe Soe) was for someone else. I had specially asked for this room as I would have a friend join me the following day. Confused, I was asked to wait until Soe Soe returned 1/2 hour later.

Upon her return, Soe Soe explained that a regular guest had problems finding accomodation. This guest had a child so she decided to simply cancel my booking. She then joked about me sleeping in her own bedroom!! and seeing the shock on my face, suggested I take another very small room instead.

When I reminded that she had confirmed everything by email, she suddenly got angry & accused me of not being sympathetic to the other traveller's problem of accomodating her child!? Soe Soe could not understand why I should be disappointed, and insisted that I must accept her arbitrary last-minute decision or leave. It was already 8pm and I had been travelling all day. Imagine how difficult it was to face a cancelled booking.... and additionally to be told off that I was being unreasonable!

I proceed to check about the following days, when I had booked the room after my friend and I would return from Mandalay. She glibly said that she had given the room to yet other travellers and I should find alternative accomodation. Showing her the print-outs of her emails was no use.

I am sure that Jeff and Soe Soe are kind guesthouse owners, and look after their guests well. But you first have to check in! and Yangon (and Myanmar) is not the easiest place to find last-minute accomodation. BikeWorld is also farther out from town so finding a taxi late in the evening, having to trundle heavy luggage out again to the main road after a distressing inexplicable cancellation -- it was horrible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank springmoon
Reviewed October 16, 2013

That was my first tim in Myanmar, but not my last one
I had a great time at bikeworld. Jeff got me a good bike and Soe Soe organized a tour guide.
Actually I was feling like in a family, both Jeff and Soe Soe took very good care of me.
The location is a nice area with easy walking access to restsurants.
Breakfast is good and i liked to have the morning conversation with other guests.
My room was small but fine...good AC.
Definetely not to miss is the friday night bicycle ride with Jeff.
I definetely would stay there again.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

There isn't really much to say that hasn't been said before. Bike World is exceptionally clean, the hosts, Jeff and Soesoe go well beyond the call of duty, and relative to other accommodation in Yangon, it is definitely reasonably priced.

And for me, it's the small touches that really make a good room. Whilst essentially basic, and fairly small (I was in a single downstairs), they were very well equipped with a safe, fly killer, shampoo, flash light, safe, towels... everything you need and nothing you don't. No frills at it's finest.

They have great local knowledge and helped me in booking taxis, finding a place for a massage, recommending (and taking me out for) dinner, and booking my onward accommodation in Bagan.

I can see how some people might not be so keen on the location, but it has the distinct advantage of being a lot quieter, and cheaper than the downtown places because of that. Taxis are very easy and cheap to get so I wouldn't worry about the location.

Traders hotel it is not, but I'd take this over that any day.

2  Thank hzanderson
Reviewed October 15, 2013

If there is an option for 'Beyond Excellent', that would be my rating for Bike World. This is truly a B&B which I really felt at home. The owners of the B&B, Auntie Soe Soe and Jeff are such amazing hosts. They genuinely want you to enjoy your stay in Yangon and try their best to assist you in tailoring your stay to meet your needs.

The bedrooms are spacious and extremely clean. We are given clean bath and face towels everyday. The toilets are spotless and they provide shampoo, conditioner and body soap. Every room has a mini basket for you to store your toiletries if you decide to bring yours. It's the little touches that make the stay so enjoyable. They even have a safe in every room for you to store your prized possessions! Breakfast is served in the morning at this communal round table where you get to meet other like-minded travelers and share your travel stories. That gives me more reason to look forward to breakfast apart from the food.

I love the location of Bike World. It's not too far away from the city, nor is it too far away from the airport. It is right next to one of the most beautiful lakes in Yangon, Inya Lake. We woke up at 5am one morning to catch the sunrise and boy, are we glad we did. It is just a 5min walk to Inya Lake. Bike World is also near the Israel Embassy and Swiss Embassy which makes it really safe as they have security guards situated near these embassies round the clock.

Auntie Soe Soe gave us such incredible insight into Yangon and always made sure we had the right directions and addresses. I don't even know how to begin describing her warm hospitality. She went out of her way to pen down specific directions for us in Burmese language to facilitate communication with our cab drivers. (If you're reading this, Auntie Soe Soe.. Know that you make me want to return to Myanmar again!)

If you're a fan of cycling, you are definitely in the right company. Jeff is such an experienced cyclist and he organises biking trips in the week. My boyfriend joined Jeff's Sunday cycling trail and absolutely enjoyed every bit of it.

What else is there to say? If you are looking for a place to stay in Yangon, look no further. Staying in Bike World will complete your journey in Yangon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Piao L
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Value for money for Yangon city. I feel here more feel like a homestay rather than a hotel or a guesthouse. It is run by an Australian-Myanmar couple living here for many years. The hosts Soe Soe and Jeff are very friendly, have excessive knowledge of Myanmar (obviously) and can give a lot of useful advise about staying and travelling around the country. They also have a bicycle shop, so you may rent a "serious" bicycle or use a simple one for free.

A good place for sleeping. There may be a bit noisy sometimes during daytime, but very quiet after 6-7 pm. Lots of fresh air, as the house is located in a top-end residential area, in a quiet street surrounded by 2-3 floor private houses, close to the lake. It is easy to get from here to downtown, Swedagon pagoda or new business and residential Dagon area.  The easiest way is to get a taxi - just USD 2 and 20 minutes to Swedagon and USD 3-4 and 30-40 minutes to downtown. Based on my personal experience, I would not recommend to stay in a downtown - it is really crampy, noisy and polluted. It is worth just to visit it in a daytime, but to live aside.

A standard room was not large, but very clean and has all necessary stuff. Comfortable bed with fresh linens and towels, private bathroom with hot water, safety box, good air conditioner, new TV. Internet connection is very good and stable, probably the best I experienced in Yangon. WiFi signal sometimes is not stable in the room but very good at common sitting area. A small room can be upgraded for a bigger one upstairs (if any of them is available) for some extra money.

Breakfast is delicious - Western or Myanmar style (or both) - up to your request, and freshly brewed coffee. It is served in a nice dining room with traditional wooden furniture, which is also used as a common sitting room for the rest of the time.  Here you can meet other guests from various countries, share your experiences or even find travel mates for the next part of Myanmar trip, which was in my case.

Overall, the best choice for Yangon, if you look for a home but not a 5-star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room for extra charge