“Best place to stay in Yangon!”

and 1 more site!
Bike World Bed, Breakfast & Bike
Hong Kong, China
“Best place to stay in Yangon!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Finding many hotels booked in Yangon, I happened to stumble across the Trip Advisor reviews for BWB, which convinced me to give it a try (13, all five-star ratings).

I was not disappointed. Soe Soe's place is absolutely the best place to stay in Yangon (and the greatest deal, too). We arrived for a short two-day stay on our way out of Myanmar, and Soe Soe greeted us as soon as we arrived with sweet iced tea (that tasted just like the kind my family makes in the Southern U.S., what a treat) and insisted on making us lunch right away.

She is great, and her hospitality really made our stay. We only regret we couldn't stay longer. The home cooked food is good, with a hearty breakfast where you can chat with the other interesting guests. They have an adorable yellow lab, and it feels just like staying with old friends. Not really a hotel, it's more like a B&B, they have a large house and rent out a few rooms in it. It's located on a back road near the Israeli embassy in a beautiful and quiet, secluded neighborhood with other large homes. Of course they also lead bike tours. We weren't there long enough to get to go on one, but they sound like fun.

The rooms are clean, the wifi works, and the surroundings are peaceful, even if it is a bit away from downtown, it's well worth it. Soe Soe will help you with anything you need, from recommendations of things to see and do and eat to where to find lacquerware. If I return to Yangon, staying with Soe Soe will be #1 on my list.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent four really wonderful days in Yangon with Soe Soe and Jeff. Its great place to find your feet in Yangon. Yes, as other writers have said the accommodation is good, simple, clean and not expensive. But the real joy in staying at Bike World comes from the generous and gracious hosts.

Staying with Soe Soe and Jeff is like staying with old friends or family. Soe Soe took us under her wing - suggesting places to eat, things to do - the best shopping, the best place for massages etc and generally making our stay in Yangon fantastic.

Every evening, the guests gather for a beer or cup of delicious Burmese tea and lots of laughs - we met new people and heard stories of other people’s adventures.

Soe Soe took us with her to her local market, and we spent a happy couple of hours wandering through stalls. The local people were welcoming and seemed happy to see us and I got the feeling that they hadn’t seen too many tourists. With its rickshaw drivers dropping off shoppers, curious children and groups of novice nuns (dressed in pink) this market was an insight into local Burmese life. We watched a local goldsmith smelting on an open fire and breathed the heady smells of many colourful spices and herbs - a truly unique experience that we would never have had left to our own devices or on a tour bus.

Breakfast was great - pretty much cooked for you - Burmese or western – with Soe Soe encouraging you to eat well. One day Soe Soe took us shopping and asked us to choose the jams and marmalades we would like for brekkie the next day – on another day she took us out to breakfast at her local café!

Bike World is close to Inya Lake – beautiful for an evening or early morning walk, with a great set of eating options overlooking the sunrise or twinkling lights reflected in the calm waters. its also close to a great seafood restaurant.

Yangon did not appear to me to have a central hotel or tourist or backpacker area. Most of the tourists we saw were on coach tours and the hotels seem to be scattered across the city so there didn't seem to be a backpacker area. For independent travellers staying with Soe Soe and Jeff offers a degree of independence combined with the support and care of a defacto Mynmar family. My daughter particularly appreciated their warmth and generosity.

We had a very happy time staying Bike World and would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: all rooms are great - upstairs is like an apartment which would suit a larger family.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came to stay with Aunty Soe Soe and Jeff in November. We booked for 2 nights. We arrived in the evening, no problem in a taxi. Within 10 minutes we were sitting around their dining table having a drink like old friends. An hour later they took us to dinner with a group of their friends and some other guests. It was unexpectedly one of the most wonderful evenings of our trip where we sampled the worlds best rum!

The next morning at 5am (a little hungover from the rum) we were ready for our ride. I have never been off-road bike riding before (have only ridden around the park on a path for about half an hour). I was under the wrong impression that supported bike ride meant that a truck followed you and you could jump in at any time. I was wrong. Supported meant that Jeff and his amazing medic and mechanic followed us on bikes - so you have no choice but to ride on! I fell off my bike a number of times and the medic had me patched up in no time. They stayed with me at a slower pace and even took me on a sneaky short cut when I thought I could go no further.

Despite the heat, the pain and the falling over I could not help but be amazed by the families, villages and the isolated beauty that we came across. 35km later I finished the ride and it was probably the greatest physical challenge I have ever done and so worth it. And Myanmar Beer makes all pains disappear very quickly.

We were sad to leave Aunty Soe Soe and Jeff - you must go. Put yourself to the test and do a ride!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This simple clean and inexpensive hotel is a real gem, mainly due to the owners Aunty Soesoe and Jeff.. They really make you feel welcome and it quickly felt like home. We are traveling with our 8 year old daughter an she was quite sad when we had to move on. Shared bathroom and toilet, good breakfast included and great travel trips and advice. The location is near the Israeli Embassy, about a $3 taxi ride from anywhere in the city. It's not about the place so much as about the owners. They are fantastic people and we will return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room called SPOKE and it was fine for 2 adults an a kid on the floor. Loved it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Profaen
Ventura, CA
Reviewed November 26, 2012

On this, my first trip to Myanmar, I really had no idea what to expect. But hatever I might have hoped for was far exceeded by what I found at Soesoe's and Jeff's place in Yangon. They are amazing in every way! Whether it's making arrangements on the fly or giving you great ideas for things to do, it's all part of the outstading service they provide. The best thing is that you will always feel like you're with family, because it's all very informal here....you are sure to meet great people from literally all over the planet and chances are you walk away with some pretty cool new friends. While I missed the main attraction this time around (that being an extended bike trip with Jeff and his crew) I know I'll be back to experience it soon. All in all, this place is worth more than the max points I can give here.

Room Tip: It's not about the rooms....this is not a regular hotel. They are clean, they have AC....what el...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Tomscv
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just finished my second stay in Auntie Soesoe and Jeff’s place and, like the first time, I can’t find words that capture the wonderful hospitality of these people in its full extent. Simply put, Auntie Soesoe will make you feel at home, literally, and so comfortable that you will not want to leave.

Starting with the almost immediate response that you get from Auntie Soesoe when you contact her by email with questions about reservations, they make your stay in Myanmar go as smoothly as it can be: spotless rooms at very reasonable prices, yummy food, travel advice… and to top it off, bicycle tours to see Yangon in a fun, healthy and relaxed way.

Auntie Soesoe and Jeff create an atmosphere in her B&B so naturally friendly that all the guests get into the same friendly mood. I really enjoyed going to the common areas and get to know the different people around the world coming to stay in this wonderful place.

In summary, if you are coming to Myanmar and want to spend some time in Yangon, this place will offer you not only an unbeatable quality price ratio, but an experience of hospitality and friendliness that is likely to remain one of your best travel experiences ever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank atlj14
Albany, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our family and friends stayed here for several days in September and October as we came back and forth to Yangon. Soe soe was so welcoming everytime we arrived - it was like coming home. The facilities are clean and have nice drawings of locals on bikes. She can connect you with local guides and good places to eat. Our three surly teenage girls were charmed by Soe soe's friendliness and ability to connect with everyone! Definitely one of the top highlights of the whole trip. Note: it's not a central location, but close to a busy road where you can get taxis pretty easily.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family