“Choose other hotel if possible....”

Central Hotel Yangon
Ranked #68 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights when me and my family visited Yangon in end May'12.

Undeniable, the location of this hotel is quite strategic where it is near to Scott market. However, the building and rooms of this hotel are way too old. The rooms and the bathroom need renovation/upgrade desperately, even the bed lining/bedsheets and wallpapers The lighting in the room is too dim and dark which make us feel very uncomfortable.

For breakfast, ample choices of food and food is tasty. The only drawback is the breakfast place got no air-conditioner, not sure it broke down during my visit or it got no air-conditioner all the time. So the entire breakfast place was stuffy and smelly.

One good thing about this hotel is all the staffs are very polite and with good attitude, especially the front desk staffs.

However, if I would travel to Yangon again, I will choose other hotel for a more comfortable stay. My family wasn't too happy with the stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Eve83

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Central Hotel is in a good location, has an impressive lobby and professional staff.
The room was in need of redecoration with scruffy wallpaper ruining any feeling of quality.
It had a new LCD TV and desk with the best in room Internet I’d found in Myanmar.
Food and breakfast were good.
Best hotel breakfast and food that I had in Myanmar in a 3 week visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank peaceofangkor
Reviewed May 17, 2012

It's a good place to stay for travellers who are after a good rest and nothing fancy. Afterall, it's only a 3-star hotel.
Staffs are friendly and helpful. Room is clean. Convenient location and it's only walking distance from Bogyoke Aung San Market.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CrystalYee
Reviewed April 26, 2012

A great place to begin and end a trip to Myanmar. The rates have increased but we found it to be good value. Rooms comfortable, bathrooms spacious and water hot. TV,fridge, linen and beds OK lights and lifts worked etc. Breakfast good with local and western variety. Restaurant fair and beer on special! Exchange bank in foyer and rate good. Wifi in foyer (comfortable and cool) and best signal on our trip. Staff very helpful. Central it is.

Room Tip: We had standard rooms on 3rd and 6th floor, 6th had better view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Janeonland
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Good location. Friendly staff. Room fine. Wi-fi in lobby (very slow but that was the same everywhere). Food alright. Exchange rates a bit unfavourable,

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank RoryDubai
Reviewed April 8, 2012

It was generally clean and ok, but this hotel isn't the top grade you can find it. If it weren't for Traders being fully booked, but charging twice this hotel's price (well, I'd say, u get a 2.5 star for paying about USD70 p/n, vs 5 star at USD150 p/n), so it really depends on your budget.

I must say, the breakfast included was quite good. I was at another hotel the previous night with a last minute check in (which was quite awful that I even forgot the name of the hotel) which provided really awful breakfast selections, and was paying the same price.

Room Tip: For good night sleep, pick the ones that are further away from the lifts as there are rooms that are...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank NoOnesHome2day
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was there for a meeting at the hotel, so I needed to stay with all the participants.The first night we ate on the ground floor and a rat (not a mouse) ran by. I did not take it as an auspicious omen. I tried to forget about the rat (as my Asian friend shrugged and said, "This is Asia. (On sunday we ate lunch next door at Trader's and I really wish I could have stayed there--it looks nice, clean, and has good food.) They did not have the room I reserved with a king-size bed and they put me in a room with two twins. The beds were on rollers and every time I sat down it rolled around and it was impossible to sit in bed with your back on the wall because the bed rolled away. I corralled my bed against the wall using a heavy chair and stool but when I got up in the middle of the night I whacked my toe on the leg of the stool (ouch! Black and blue and swollen!). The next day I persisted with my request to move rooms and they found me another room with a large bed that behaved itself and stayed in one place. The wifi was difficult but the staff were so accomodating that they sent for outside IT guy to help me get my recalcitrant computer (Apple) online. When I asked for a desk chair to work in the room, they went out and found me one (and a desk, because they didn't understand me). So the people are very helpful. The lights in my room were so dim, I went to the store and bought 100 watt lightbulbs so I could see in the room. They have CNN and the French channel. When later I could not get wifi again, they let me use the computer in the little room next to their office for free. But when I looked down at a metal box nearby there was rat doo-doo all over the box. Ech. It was not cheap--I think it was $50/night.

Room Tip: ask for no smoking floor and king size bed.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business