“Nothing memorable here but there are worse places around”
Review of PARKROYAL Yangon

PARKROYAL Yangon
Ranked #12 of 161 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for business.

Staff appeared helpful enough and level of English is more than adequate. However, they still seemed overwhelmed at the time that we checked in (Saturday noon time). Wifi is a bonus though, good signal throughout. Room itself was big but did not feel that clean. And they ran out of non-smoking rooms despite an earlier request - the 'smoking' room that I was put in was pretty grim. The breakfast buffet was not bad, some cooked to order stations.

Overall, it was not bad, but I would not mind staying somewhere else if I return to Yangon.

3  Thank XpandMyHorizons

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has all the facilities and amenities for any type of traveler.Hotel is a little old but well kept and very clean with a great location. Staff are well trained and helpful. Most of them speak English well enough to communicate easily. The breakfast buffet is easily the best in town with a wide variety of fare to suit all.The other restaurants have good quality food and the bar, located at the lobby, is well appointed.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms are well appointed but if you want one with a good view of the Pagoda, the receptio...
2  Thank debonnair
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was booked into this hotel as part of an individual tour package, and found it to be quite satisfactory as a business and tour-group oriented hotel. Wired Internet, satellite television, and an excellent buffet breakfast put it near the top of places in Yangon in terms of amenities, though it lacks the charm of the Governors' Residence. I invited about 8 local tech entrepreneurs for an informal meeting, and we were well served by the hotel staff. Although the hotel is much more expensive than most locals could ever afford, I liked its central location that made it easy to go out and walk around in the city. The shopping mall next door has quite a good supermarket on the top floor, with a wide range of choices including fresh fruits and vegetables. If I were to return for business reasons, I would either come here or to the even-more-central Traders.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bluevoter
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A nice and comfy hotel to stay in Yangon. Close to Scott's market. Walking distance to supermarkets and restaurants. All you can eat buffet dim-sum is really worth the money. USD 16 and eat all you can. Worth the money and their dimsums aren't cheapo for the money. The club at the basement good for a drink or two. be sure to watch man dancing in "puk-su" or AKA Sarong. Be careful with the glasses anywhere. Saw once the bartender just soak in water and then served the glass to customers. Overall is good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank cool_kk213
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I paid USD 250+ as a weekday rate for a hotel room that was in need of a thorough cleaning and renovation. Cigarette ashes on furniture from the last occupant and a mildew-ridden bath with a tub I would not soak in. Wireless did not work in my room and was slow elsewhere in the hotel.

Most of the staff was extremely courteous and helpful with transportation and business services. I encountered a bit of an attitude from the bar staff and, by all means, do not change money with the unscrupulous people at the jewelry store.

The Traders hotel is a five minute walk from the ParkRoyal and I asked to see a room. All rooms at the Traders are newly renovated and they have a spacious air-conditioned lobby and faster internet. Traders also has a very nice bar where I had dinner one night.

3  Thank Gregory D
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I'm not going to be able to comment on the average room because I stayed in a business suite here, but I can say that it's a short walk from the central market and the main centre of town, the service was lovely (if a little slow) everywhere, breakfasts are comprehensive, there's slow-but-steady wifi in the lobby, bar and restaurants and the wired internet access in my room was fast.

Obviously it's a pricey option, but you get what you pay for in Myanmar.

In the usual "international hotel" way, food, drink and other services within the hotel are "internationally priced", but there's a good supermarket upstairs in the plaza right next door.

Yangon itself is a charming city (in a way that Mandalay really isn't), but you'll definitely appreciate coming back to a nice room (and a swimming pool), so I can recommend that if you've got the budget it's worth paying a bit more and having a nice base to explore the city.

The doormen here can be relied on to get you a fair taxi price too.

Nice hotel in a good part of Yangon, I'd thoroughly recommend it if it's within your budget.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what the upgrade to a business suite costs, but if you are considering it... you ge...
4  Thank CreativeSpark
Ram N, General Manager at PARKROYAL Yangon, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for choosing PARKROYAL Yangon as your preferred residence in Yangon and for recommending us on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. Myanmar is a very exciting destination right now and Yangon is receiving increasing number of business and leisure guests. PARKROYAL Yangon is ideally located in the Central Business District and within easy reach to several Tourist and Retail attractions. Thank you for your kind comments on the service provided by our associates. Hotel has been enhancing Wifi connections and we are in the process of improving them further. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.
Ram Nurani

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is located in a city with fewer high-end hotel choices. I was very pleased with the choice of this one--the facilities were fine, but the service really made them stand out.

We actually stayed there twice, at the beginning and end of our trip, and both times our room was upgraded without us asking, the second time to the Orchid Club level. We really appreciated this touch and felt very welcomed by the check-in staff. The lobby staff were also very friendly, especially the taxi stand/bellmen. Just a note: it's very easy to get a taxi from this hotel, so getting around was no problem. It is also located right in the downtown area, so we could walk around downtown and see the colonial architecture, eat at local places, etc. very easily.

The rooms were nice... obviously, this is not a historic hotel, but they brought in some touches like wood paneling in the bathroom that gave it some charm and connection to the country. The second room we had (the Orchid Level one) had a more updated bathroom and room fixtures, though both were good (our first room's shower did make it pretty difficult not to flood the bathroom floor). This was also the only hotel we stayed in in Myanmar with working wi-fi in the room (though we sometimes had to stand right by the door to get it to work).

Our rate didn't include breakfast, but we didn't really want it anyway, with lots of teahouses serving tasty noodles for cheap in walking distance. We used the swimming pool, which was small but very well-maintained and not crowded.

Overall, by international standards, the facilities of this hotel wouldn't blow anyone away, but the warmth of service and relative homey-ness of this four-star business hotel made it for me.

Room Tip: If you can get an Orchid Club room, they are very nice!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katiekins570

Dear Sir / Madam,
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt at Home. Our associates are delighted with your comments on their service. As you have rightfully mentioned, the Hotel is ideally located within the Central Business District and yet within easy reach to several Tourist and Retail attractions. Orchid Club operates as a Hotel within a Hotel offering exclusivity and personalized care. Through this year our Orchid Club lounge, and Club Rooms and Suites have been refurbished. As business related travel to Myanmar is increasing, Hotel has been enhancing Wifi connections and we are in the process of improving them further. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.
Ram Nurani