“Yangon outpost of the very good Parkroyal chain”
Review of PARKROYAL Yangon

PARKROYAL Yangon
Ranked #11 of 155 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
San Francisco, California
“Yangon outpost of the very good Parkroyal chain”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was booked into this hotel as part of an individual tour package, and found it to be quite satisfactory as a business and tour-group oriented hotel. Wired Internet, satellite television, and an excellent buffet breakfast put it near the top of places in Yangon in terms of amenities, though it lacks the charm of the Governors' Residence. I invited about 8 local tech entrepreneurs for an informal meeting, and we were well served by the hotel staff. Although the hotel is much more expensive than most locals could ever afford, I liked its central location that made it easy to go out and walk around in the city. The shopping mall next door has quite a good supermarket on the top floor, with a wide range of choices including fresh fruits and vegetables. If I were to return for business reasons, I would either come here or to the even-more-central Traders.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bluevoter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sarawak
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A nice and comfy hotel to stay in Yangon. Close to Scott's market. Walking distance to supermarkets and restaurants. All you can eat buffet dim-sum is really worth the money. USD 16 and eat all you can. Worth the money and their dimsums aren't cheapo for the money. The club at the basement good for a drink or two. be sure to watch man dancing in "puk-su" or AKA Sarong. Be careful with the glasses anywhere. Saw once the bartender just soak in water and then served the glass to customers. Overall is good value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cool_kk213
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I paid USD 250+ as a weekday rate for a hotel room that was in need of a thorough cleaning and renovation. Cigarette ashes on furniture from the last occupant and a mildew-ridden bath with a tub I would not soak in. Wireless did not work in my room and was slow elsewhere in the hotel.

Most of the staff was extremely courteous and helpful with transportation and business services. I encountered a bit of an attitude from the bar staff and, by all means, do not change money with the unscrupulous people at the jewelry store.

The Traders hotel is a five minute walk from the ParkRoyal and I asked to see a room. All rooms at the Traders are newly renovated and they have a spacious air-conditioned lobby and faster internet. Traders also has a very nice bar where I had dinner one night.

3 Thank Gregory D
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I'm not going to be able to comment on the average room because I stayed in a business suite here, but I can say that it's a short walk from the central market and the main centre of town, the service was lovely (if a little slow) everywhere, breakfasts are comprehensive, there's slow-but-steady wifi in the lobby, bar and restaurants and the wired internet access in my room was fast.

Obviously it's a pricey option, but you get what you pay for in Myanmar.

In the usual "international hotel" way, food, drink and other services within the hotel are "internationally priced", but there's a good supermarket upstairs in the plaza right next door.

Yangon itself is a charming city (in a way that Mandalay really isn't), but you'll definitely appreciate coming back to a nice room (and a swimming pool), so I can recommend that if you've got the budget it's worth paying a bit more and having a nice base to explore the city.

The doormen here can be relied on to get you a fair taxi price too.

Nice hotel in a good part of Yangon, I'd thoroughly recommend it if it's within your budget.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what the upgrade to a business suite costs, but if you are considering it... you ge...
4 Thank CreativeSpark
Ram N, General Manager at PARKROYAL Yangon, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for choosing PARKROYAL Yangon as your preferred residence in Yangon and for recommending us on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. Myanmar is a very exciting destination right now and Yangon is receiving increasing number of business and leisure guests. PARKROYAL Yangon is ideally located in the Central Business District and within easy reach to several Tourist and Retail attractions. Thank you for your kind comments on the service provided by our associates. Hotel has been enhancing Wifi connections and we are in the process of improving them further. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.
New York, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is located in a city with fewer high-end hotel choices. I was very pleased with the choice of this one--the facilities were fine, but the service really made them stand out.

We actually stayed there twice, at the beginning and end of our trip, and both times our room was upgraded without us asking, the second time to the Orchid Club level. We really appreciated this touch and felt very welcomed by the check-in staff. The lobby staff were also very friendly, especially the taxi stand/bellmen. Just a note: it's very easy to get a taxi from this hotel, so getting around was no problem. It is also located right in the downtown area, so we could walk around downtown and see the colonial architecture, eat at local places, etc. very easily.

The rooms were nice... obviously, this is not a historic hotel, but they brought in some touches like wood paneling in the bathroom that gave it some charm and connection to the country. The second room we had (the Orchid Level one) had a more updated bathroom and room fixtures, though both were good (our first room's shower did make it pretty difficult not to flood the bathroom floor). This was also the only hotel we stayed in in Myanmar with working wi-fi in the room (though we sometimes had to stand right by the door to get it to work).

Our rate didn't include breakfast, but we didn't really want it anyway, with lots of teahouses serving tasty noodles for cheap in walking distance. We used the swimming pool, which was small but very well-maintained and not crowded.

Overall, by international standards, the facilities of this hotel wouldn't blow anyone away, but the warmth of service and relative homey-ness of this four-star business hotel made it for me.

Room Tip: If you can get an Orchid Club room, they are very nice!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katiekins570
Dear Sir / Madam,
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt at Home. Our associates are delighted with your comments on their service. As you have rightfully mentioned, the Hotel is ideally located within the Central Business District and yet within easy reach to several Tourist and Retail attractions. Orchid Club operates as a Hotel within a Hotel offering exclusivity and personalized care. Through this year our Orchid Club lounge, and Club Rooms and Suites have been refurbished. As business related travel to Myanmar is increasing, Hotel has been enhancing Wifi connections and we are in the process of improving them further. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.
Shanghai
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is an extremely well run older style hotel in a good location in Yangon. Rooms are comfortable with great TV's and guest amenities. They have a pretty good breakfast catering to Chinese, Indian, Japanese and western tastes. Staff are efficient and friendly and it's the only hotel anywhere in the world where I have tipped a young modestly by western standards to be told "it's too much". All in all a most enjoyable stay. Only minor problem is that at the moment the hotel is unable to accept credit cards but as Myanmar opens up I feel sure this will change in the near future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GraemeShanghai
Dear Sir / Madam,
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with. The Hotel is ideally located within the Central Business District and yet within easy reach to several Tourist and Retail attractions. Our associates are our best asset; they take pride in providing service from the heart. Our rooms are comfortable, they have recently received a makeover and we are in the process of continuously improving them further along with attention to details to make Hotel stays memorable. Our Breakfast offerings have been carefully put together with regular feedback from our valued guests. Guests staying in the Hotel can now settle their bills with Visa and Master Cards. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.
Ballston
Reviewed October 21, 2012

During a five night stay, I was very pleased with the hotel. The staff were personable and efficient. My room a good size, though the bathroom was a little tight. The public areas and facade have had a thorough make-over, as have (I think) the pool and tennis court. The rooms and bathrooms seem to be updated, though not renovated-rebuilt. That said, I was happy with the place all around. There are three restaurants, all of which served good food at very reasonable prices. The buffet breakfast is a bit limited for western choices, but there are many, many Asian choices. The guy at the egg station is proficient and fast and knows how to follow instructions. Alcohol is a bit dear, but that is local taxes, not the hotel. The bar has a daily happy hour (1600-1900) that you should not miss - buy one, get a second one free. The TV channel selection is not enormous, but the big names for the business traveler are there (BBC World, CNN, etc.) The desks have a small office kit in one drawer - ruler, punch, scissors, stapler, a nice touch. Laundry is a bargain - a man's shirt, skivvies, and sox are less than US$6. The spa is not to be missed for a good massage at a bargain price. Highly recommended.

2 Thank Rover1313
Dear Sir / Madam,
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with. Our associates are our best asset; they take pride in providing service from the heart. Our rooms have recently received a makeover and we are in the process of continuously improving them further along with attention to details to make Hotel stays memorable. Our restaurants enjoy good reputation with In house and city patrons with specialty offers in Japanese, Chinese, Asian and International Cuisines. Breakfast offerings have been carefully put together with regular feedback from our valued guests; the cyclical menu caters to the diverse guest demographics. The Lobby Bar is a great venue for business entertainment as well as to wind down after a long day. It offers a variety of cocktails, mocktails, wine and spirits along with a simple snack menu for a quick bite. The afternoon Hi Tea is also popular. Hotel Spa offers an array of treatments with a special focus on Myanmar’s traditional massage. I look forward to your next visit, please be so kind to drop me a note whenever you plan your next visit.