“Great place, not food.”
Review of Savoy Hotel Yangon

Savoy Hotel Yangon
Ranked #2 of 162 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Located by the pool. Simple menu with selected choice of a total of 20 dishes to chose from. French, of course.
It was raining like hell that day and very few clients were having lunch at the restaurant.
Business lunch. 4 people. 2 French and 2 locals.
We touch the promising 'bouillabaisse from Marseille". A disaster. Hot water basically. we both just ate the bread without taking the soup. We zish the chef, if any, had come to ask up what we thought to tell him something was wrong.
Both our local invitees had main dishes that looked far more appealing. Chicken cordon bleu was gigantic and looked really good with plenty of fried potatoes to go along.
The other got mussels and French fries. she finished it all.
After the soup, I headed for dessert but the chocolate mousse was very disappointed.
Again, by seeing the dish come back almost untouched to the kitchen, the chef should have wondered something was wrong.
Others took the tart tatin and seemed very happy with it.
I surely not my lucky day...I even got to take the check!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed May 31, 2014

After we traveled 2 weeks through Myanmar we arrived for our last night in Yangon before heading back the next day.
We were already full of sooo wonderful pictures, experiences but we couldn't get enough from this country and from Yangon.
So we had several things on our list what we still wanted to see. But arrived at the hotel - we indulged in the SAVOY.
It was just wonderful!!!

Room Tip: We had a suite ground floor - so nice!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What a beautiful Hotel! We didn't stay here because we were at the Traders Hotel [now known as the Sule Shangri La, Yangon] but we did enjoy a sensational meal in one of the dining rooms here. The A/C was working a treat and we were grateful after enduring another day of 40 degrees and inhospitable humidity. The staff were friendly, attentive and the food was superb. Plenty of wines from around the world to choose from as well as the locals brews and wines and fresh, flavorsome dishes. Very enjoyable meal and a very attractive Hotel. The pool area looks stunning!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have been working in Myanmar for several months and decided to treat myself to a stay in the Savoy on my last night. Excellent rooms, beautiful comfortable beds, and lovely restaurants. The travelers who complain about WiFi must understand that it is slow and unreliable throughout the whole city. The internet in the Savoy was quite good if you compare it to other places in the country. If you want fast internet, go to Bangkok. The staff were lovely and welcoming and the lounge for breakfast was a nice treat. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my 85 year old grandma for our last 2 nights of our Myanmar trip in 2013. We previously stayed at the Strand at the start of our trip! We had 2 separate corner suites in the hotel... She was on ground level which was great as she has trouble walking upstairs and there is no lift and I was on the level above! Rooms were great clean, comfortable and large! The pool was very very crowded when we got there- I would have loved to go for a swim when I got there but was put off by the fact that there were no lounges available and it seemed very squished and full! The breakfast buffet wasn't the best- lunch was nice but the dining room/ restaurant is up very steep stairs and with no lift in the hotel it did cause some grief for my grandma but we managed. We booked high tea for 4pm on our last day as a nice farewell treat however it took a very very long time for our food to come out- maybe almost an hour... I thought they had forgotten about us and seeing we had booked well in advance I don't see why this happened as they had more than enough time to prepare! The actual food was nice but I wouldn't have had it knowing we would have to wait that long sitting in the outside heat.. It was nice overlooking the pool though! Had a lovely foot massage before my flight- spa is nice but in one small room and very simple so if you're looking for a luxurious spa maybe pick another hotel! Apart from those small things I really did enjoy my stay there- lovely service and rooms which is the main thing and in a good location close to good restaurants! Maybe they could reconfigure the pool space as there is not much room! Would stay again!

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We loved the colonial feel of this hotel, with the wooden floors and stair case. The location is great, within walking distance from the Shwedagon Pagoda, and the Thai restaurant across the road from the hotel was great. However, the wifi connection was unstable and it was always on and off which was annoying. Probably due to the same connection problems, we were not able to pay for our bill upon check-out with our credit card, luckily we had enough cash as we needed to get to the airport. We saw a couple getting very frustrated the day before not being able to pay with credit card so you may need to bring cash just in case. The breakfast buffet had rather limited options and the food was just OK. I guess for the amount of money we paid I had expected a better breakfast selection since we paid less for a beautiful hotel in Bagan which was far superior in all respects. I had a foot massage at the spa and it was so-so, I would not recommend it. I would probably not choose to stay there again for the price we paid.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Staying at the Savoy Hotel is a charming, genteel experience without being stuffy. The hotel building is in a solid colonial style with extensive wood and period touches throughout. Wonderful choice of artwork and furniture throughout the hotel give a period feel. Room was generous in size and comfortable. Very quiet part form the occasional scratch from the crows lurking on the hotel roof.

Breakfast excellent, and relaxed, with very good fresh baked bread. Service friendly and polite throughout our stay.

Location is OK, away from the rundown and noisy downtown area, in a greener area full of old villas. Close to the key attraction, the marvelous Shwedagon pagoda, which is in walking distance. Only perhaps the hotels around the Kan Daw Gyi lake by the pagoda have better views.

Only limitation is relatively small size of pool area, which was struggling to accommodate more than a few guests. But the pool is not the point of visiting Yangon.

Overall, a wonderful and dignified introduction to Myanmar for our family.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family