We stayed here twice and like it much better than the Strand.
The Savoy is very 'days of the Raj" with agreat location and you can walk to Shwedagon and other restaurants are close by.
The first stay was outstanding. The second stay was less so.
One tip is to get a room on a high floor and a high room number (ex 306-310).
The lower number rooms face the parking lot and the road and also seem to be in less good condition.
On our second stay the a/c broke--they fixed it in a few hours, the sheet did not fit the bed and they fixed it the next day.
But the staff are very responsive and the breakfst room is lovely and the food is good too.
We learned that booking through our local agent One Stop, we got MUCH better rates than when we booked our selves.
Plus--One Stop was simply a great resource throughout our travels and I recommend Kway highly.
Another tiip, the Savoy will change USD at a good rate and gives a higher rate for 100 USD bills. (some other places do as well) As always bills must be in good shape with no marks.
We did find that you are better off using local currency on your travels. The kyat is accepted everywhere.
Contrary to posts I read before our trip, single bills USD were not at all useful. Things are changing fast but from my experience do not bother to bring single dollars. The more 100 bills the better and they are easier to carry!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Savoy Hotel is a four star colonial boutique hotel committed to personalized and attentive service. It is ideally located in a picturesque area of Yangon overlooking the Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar’s “twinkling wonder” and nearby the People’s Park. All 24 deluxe rooms and six suites express the charm of “the old days” with traditional Myanmar antiques, teak furniture and spacious bathrooms. Nicely overshadowed by tall old trees, the large pool with its lounge area makes the Savoy Hotel a silent oasis in the middle of the buzzing city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Savoy Hotel Yangon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Savoy Hotel Yangon Myanmar