“Good hotel but no spikes”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #6 of 159 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed September 22, 2013

All that one expects of a big 5 star hotel - rooms, gym, breakfast, polite service, etc. But somehow nothing exciting. Besides they had a rather noisy renovation. I would look for another place next time I'm in Yangon

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Igor Y
Phillip C, General Manager at Sule Shangri-La Yangon, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel. It was regrettable that we did not make your stay a memorable one due to some noise from our upgrade. The entire hotel has been refurbished with the exception of a few floors. I will make every effort to ensure that your next stay is a better experience and indeed make it one that you will remember with pleasant memories. Igrrrr please feel free to contact me on phillip.couvaras@tradershotels.com when you have a plan to visit Yangon again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having stayed at Traders Yangon many times over the past decade, I had high hopes for my latest visit this month.

During my last stay in February, renovation work was in full swing and on several days it was constant drilling and banging from 9 till 5 or so. The ground floor restaurant had been upgraded then but work was being done on the rooms. Also the club lounge was being renovated then so it had been moved to a windowless room on level three.

Anyway on returning to this newly renovated hotel that is charging higher rates - yes, I know demand for rooms in Yangon outstrips supply - I was expecting some evidence of the upgrade. The only apparent difference in a Traders Club room was a flat screen TV... steady on!

What was even more disappointing though was the club lounge. Yes there are windows with views from the 21st floor but the furniture and floor covering is downright skanky and not upgraded at all. Also, the club lounge staff decide which of their favourite guests they will fawn over and wait on whilst other 'lesser mortals' are pretty much ignored.

Room service is still quick and efficient, so no issues there. But the quality of food both from room service and in the ground floor cafe/restaurant has become hit and miss - not least with the Burmese and Indian food, which used to be tasty and authentic, now being adapted to western palates.

Most of the (long serving) personnel in the cafe/restaurant and at the transportation desk are wonderful and help to make Traders Hotel what it is. However, Myanmar is changing rapidly and with more four- and five-star hotels coming up in Yangon, Traders' only competing assets will be its location and (some of its) personnel. And if these outstanding staff get poached by rival hotels then Traders really will have little going for it post 2015.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter with great views
2  Thank BouBali

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel and taking the time to share your experiences during your recent stay in February and September. I was very concerned to read your comments about the upgrade in Traders Club Rooms. When we upgrade our rooms, we aim to do a comprehensive amount of work. This includes all softs in the rooms from the curtains to the beds. The bathrooms underwent a major refurbishment and were completely re-modelled with the exception of the bath tub that we had little option but to re-use.

I am personally very disappointed that you did not receive a memorable level of service from our Myanmar team in the Club Lounge , we have a regular number of guests who stay with us often and this may have been the reason that you were not extended a more personalised service. I have communicated with all the Traders Club Team Members to extend the same service standards consistently and equally to all of our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies if you were inconvenienced in any way. I also want to thank you once again for your valuable feedback about the quality of food in our Traders Café. I have shared your comment with our team members and rest assured that improvements will be made. Please feel free to contact me on Philip.couvaras@tradershotels.com should I be able to assist you on your next stay in any way.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Very decent hotel, it increases your status when you stay in the trader hotel. It gives very comfortable stay.
The staff are very polite and coordial in nature. The way they speak gives us very impressive and friendly.

Room Tip: Very Neat and Clean
1  Thank Selvakumar A
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was my first visit to Yangon, and wasn't too sure of what to expect. Traders hotel was highly recommended by my coworkers and I took their advice.

The hotel is quite large, one of the 2 big towers (other being Sakura Towers) in the vicinity. The hotel offers excellent range of breakfast buffet so don't miss booking for breakfast there.

The deluxe room is quite spacious with relatively good WI-FI connections. They are currently renovating I think 17 floor and higher, so do note on that if you decide to stay during this period. The close proximity to a mall (with parksons and Ya Kun (for Singaporeans, you would know what I mean)), just about 5 minutes walk away.

The streets nearby are badly lit, but should be safe and the hotel is located near to Sule Pagoda and City Hall and some churches if you intend to go sightseeing. Taxi fare from Hotel to Airport is USD10.

Room Tip: I stayed at #16-08, and the view is good, I could see Shwedagon Pagoda from the room.
1  Thank davidko
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Yangon Traders is my home away from home. Excellent energetic beautiful staffs and extensive renovation makes Traders Yangon an Excellent Five Star Hotel to stay. I love it and you will love it too. Welcome on board.

Capithan

Room Tip: All rooms are renovated and in new condition. I love the King size bed and the pillows
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Capithan
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Who's in charge???
KGB-like charm of front desk manager, trying to sell something and immediate service-decrease if you don't buy!
No consultancy as to rooms and options, you're just there to be squeezed!
Too bad!

Room Tip: Get a Business Room (Traders Club?)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bandi54

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel. We are truly sorry to hear that we missed an opportunity to make your stay a memorable and excellent experience during your recent visit with us. Rest assured that I will personally look into this and we will identify the training needs for our front desk colleagues. Improvements will be made. Bandi54, Please feel free to contact me on phillip.couvaras@tradershotels.com if I can be of any further assistance

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 3 days. We were staying in one of the Club Rooms. From the moment of arrival to the time of departure, every single staff member made sure we had a memorable experience! They serve with a genuine desire to please and help. Their attentiveness to details is commendable. Their warmth and smiles and best of all, efficiency in attending to any request, left a deep impression.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple