“For Yangon this is the place”

Sule Shangri-La Yangon
Ranked #6 of 162 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I spent a lot of time reviewing where to stay. I wanted to stay where I knew it would be safe and also close to things. I only had a one night stay so I picked this hotel.
It seems this place is still construction. Don't expect a fully running hotel. The price I paid I would have expected breakfast to be included but it wasn't. They also quote the price in USD. If you pay by Credit Card you will be charged a fee. I brought enough cash to pay them so if you want to save money, bring cash.
Overall, the room was nice and the internet was faster then I expected.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cxworldtraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,860)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a lovely hotel with a great staff. The location is perfect -- a quick walk to Sule Pagoda (which, BTW, is terrific from the outside but there's no need to venture in!). I highly recommend Traders.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gari H
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had a small accident with a girl staff who point her pen to my shirt during her advise direction to another guest. Mike, a supervisor in the restaurant help to clean my shirt in 10 minute. Even the next day, he also asked me about my meeting after that accident. With big impression to the hospitality of Myanmar staffs and also the time we walked around the city. All make me wish to go back again and again. The room here is nice, however there was a few choices in Yangon so I also put Traders in my wish list every time when I have to go to Yangon again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank tsmaot
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed 2 times. First stop when we arrived in Rangoon and it was a pure disaster... Renovation, food, an upsell into club (but there is nano club at the moment etc.). But staff was very friendly.

A second stay 1 week later, where everything was better.

It is probably a good choice but don't expect a Shangrila. No yet.

Room Tip: Wait until renovation are finished or ask for a great discount.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dude2009
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We chose to stay at the Traders in Yangon, the first stop of our Myanmar journey. We were given a corner room on the refurbished (non club) 18th floor of the hotel, which gave us a spectacular view of the Shwedagon Pagoda. The room itself was perfectly adequate with a comfortable bed and good shower, but maybe lacks a "wow" factor (other than the view). The hotel is still in the middle of its refurbishment programme and this does affect the arrangements for breakfast (now being taken in the conference room area on level 3) and the swimming pool and spa facilities (refer to later comments). We did not see the Club facilities at the very top of the hotel.

Do take note that despite the name affiliation, this is no Shangri-la. However, once the refurbishment is complete, this should be a well located four-star hotel in central Yangon.
Sights are within walking distance : Sule Pagoda, Bogyoke Aung San Market, open-air market as well as the crumbling, but still impressive, buildings from the colonial era.

The breakfast buffet was extensive and of good quality (and we mean just that, trying to cater for all tastes - Chinese, Japanese, Indian, European, etc). The only criticism was the quality of the coffee, which would be better if this is freshly brewed rather that being served from a thermos flask.

We took afternoon tea in the impressive lobby lounge which has to rate as one of the best deals that the hotel offers. For $10, we were served an impressive Asian inspired range of afternoon bites including samosa, siu mai, a very filling won ton noddle soup plus the traditional sandwiches, cakes and scones. Needless to say, we did not need supper that evening! By way of comparison, we took afternoon at the Strand hotel, which was more expensive (at $17 per person) and offered less in quantity and quality, despite the marginally nicer surroundings.

The spa and recreation area is undergoing renovation. Therefore, our spa experience was very disappointing, given that the treatment rooms are former guest rooms/residence rooms. So there was no real ambience. In fact, the TV was left blaring during one of our sessions. Despite the 20% discount, this is not an experience we would recommend at this time unless you are desperate after a long flight!

It is always nice to be met by a smiling face to welcome you to a new city, but do take note that this experience will set you back $30 (one way only) in a shabby van with little air-con. We took an ordinary taxi back to the airport for less than $10. Therefore, you can take your pick, but the hotel should seriously consider providing a limo for this price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGeekz
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful attentive staff, nice clean rooms. Amazing buffet - filled us up until dinner!! A tad expensive! Traders accept credit cards at 4% commission, compared to 10% or 11% in other hotels.really nice bar with pool table. Everything shuts down at 9pm in the city so it was nice to have that. Of all the hotels in Rangoon, this was our favourite!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank caitriona358
Reviewed October 3, 2012

As I am traveling to Yangon for a company trip, it was a corporate booking, and the hotel got me a club room, with access to the club lounge, which was definitely a plus. What were some of the points that I noted? See below:

> A complimentary bottle of red wine, a basket of fruits and a box of chips/nuts awaits you
> Delicious room service menu. Try the Maldivian Fish Curry
> TV has been upgraded to a Samsung flat screen 40" (or larger), no Discovery Channel but NatGeo is available
> There is a phone at the work desk as well as at the bedside, which is convenient
> Wireless surfing means that I can also use my smartphone, Blackberry and my Retina. Impt!
> Iron and Ironing board available in the wardrobe. Useful for business travellers.
> It is not often that one finds a bath sponge - which Traders Hotel supplied

The only (minor) discomfort included the following:
> The airport transfer was a really old van, and while they offered free bottles of mineral water, the air conditioning was terrible, and in the growing congestion on the roads, it can be a sauna inside the van!
> The airconditioning within the hotel room as well, felt more humid than usual. I suspect the humidity is not removed properly in the cooling process
> Hotel is currently undergoing renovation, and the gym was rather made-shift

However, with the limited choices in Yangon, I would say that Traders is currently the best of the lot, even better than Chatrium Hotel. The little bits, such as the hidden stationery set tucked away thoughtfully in the drawer, or the jogging map hung behind the bathroom doors, are the things that exemplifies the standards of the Shangri-La and Traders brand.

Room Tip: Choose those that are facing the Pagoda if you are here for the first time.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business