“Good for a Short Trip”

Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Good for a Short Trip”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I attended a conference that was held in the hotel in one of the conference rooms. I was informed before arriving that the hotel did not take credit cards and to ensure enough cash was brought along to cover the bill. When I actually arrived, they had no problem taking a credit card but wanted it at the beginning of the stay as it takes a few days for them to obtain clearance. The hotel is clean, the rooms are nice and the breakfast had many different options. There are also restaurants in the hotel and the lobby bar has nice piano music of an evening. There is an Irish bar downstairs which offers a live band and dancing. I was actually entertained by noting that the dancers can be seen from the room by tuning into one of the television channels that show the band and the guests on the dance floor. The only negative thing I had happen was that there were a lot of problems with the internet and I had to obtain three separate passwords from the front desk in a five day period as the password kept kicking out. I had a lakeside room with a nice view. Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: I had no problem with the room I had and I stayed on the fifth floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kenneth7228
SedonaHotels, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Kenneth7228

Thank you for writing us this positive review on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for the inconvenience and delays caused by the internet connection, and will work with our vendor to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sedona Hotel Yangon.

Senior General Manager, Sedona Hotel Yangon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ting Kau, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is a little outside of downtown Yangon but a quick and cheap taxi ride will take you into the heart of the city. Views over Inye Lake and the house of Aung San Suu Kyi are quite inspiring, even in the rainy season.

Food at the hotel was excellent, the Italian restaurant in particular, staff could not have been more helpful or polite and the lobby bar live music was good. The rooms were spacious, the bathrooms were clean and the general ambiance of the hotel was very welcoming.

A couple of things to note though. The band in Paddy O'Malleys were an experience. The girls looked like they were dressed for street walking and the music selection was dismal. There are only so many times you can listen to Celine Dion telling you her "heart will go on and on". However, it does get lively on a Friday evening, so if you don't want to leave the hotel, it's not a bad little bar.

When you check in, insist on using your credit card if you want to. We asked if we could use a card and were told no, we had to hand over US$ in cash as a deposit on the expenses. When we checked out 5 days later we noticed people using their credit cards. We asked if we could pay the expenses by card and were told no, as it was Sunday, they would be unable to verify the card. We did ask why we had not been allowed to use our cards to check in and were told, yes we could have.

This was the only annoying moment in an otherwise excellent and enjoyable stay. I don't know if the member of staff that checked us in simply didn't know her job or if the hotel has a policy to discourage credit card use, but it was irritating.

The Siam Spa was good with prices being a little cheaper than you would normally find in an international hotel but obviously far more expensive than other spas in the city.

The swimming pool is lovely and changing facilities were clean. The pool bar barman will always be remembered fondly for his courteous service, friendly demeanor, limitless patience and love of old pop music! If anyone knows any former band members of "Michael Learns To Rock" please let them know their greatest fan is working at the Sedona, Yangon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaPinkGerbil
SedonaHotels, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear DaPinkGerbil

Thank you for taking the time to write us an encouraging review on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for the improper check-in process you faced, and will work with our team on making this a better experience for all guests.

We will also look at updating the band’s playlist to reflect more tune choices for listeners.

Due to existing limitations, the hotel only accepts credit card payments from Mondays to Thursdays; and guests are always advised to use cash as the preferred payment mode. We are looking at ways to make this facility available more regularly, and hope to minimize any guest inconvenience in the interim.

My team and I thank you again for this feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back for another positive stay with us when you next visit Yangon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My first time in Myanmar, was attending an event with a large group of people at the Sedona so staying there made sense. Overall the hotel is fine, considering where Myanmar has been these past decades the hotel is surprisingly good.

Booking: Yes its hard. Financial sanctions mean credit cards cannot be used in Myanmar so you have to book and either carry a lot of cash or use a travel agent who is authorised and pay using PayPal, as I did. This was really excellent and no hassles were experienced.

Rooms: The rooms are basically ok, the hotel is old but serviceable. The bed was comfortable enough, not rock hard like a lot of Asian hotels. The room was well appointed with two chairs, a good desk for working and relatively new television. It was clean and everything worked, well almost, more on that below.

Bathroom: It's old. But it works. It was clean, the water was hot, the towels were ok, so all in all no need to worry.

Maintenance (1): It's Myanmar, keep reminding yourself of that. Aircon didnt work, blowing hot air, maintenance arrived and after 30 minutes worked out the air filter was clogged, makes you wonder how long it had been like that. Fixed and left, 5 minutes later the aircon just stopped, period. Called maintenance, up the ladder, poke around, pull something out, come back pop something new in, all fixed and done in another 30 minutes. All done with a smile and Sorry Mister, how can you be upset with that.

Maintenant (2); Came back to my room turned on TV to watch the news, not working, fuzzy and no sound. Called maintenance, 10 minutes later in the room, playing with remote, Sorry sir the chanels need tuning, all of them. Well that took 30 minutes or so, but they did retune every chanel and it worked perfectly up until I left. No need to be upset.

Internet: Yes it has wifi but its very patchy. Seems the closer you are the lift well the better connection you had, my room was the first one from the lifts and I had excellent connection, when the internet was not down, which it seems to be on a regular basis. But remember this is Myanmar, its not Tokyo or Taipei, or New York and I've had worse service in New York for sure.

Food: Not a highlight of this hotel I have to say. Breakfast was kind of ok, very solid stuff though, curry and that kind of thing for breakfast is ok once but not every day. They did mix it up a bit, but it was all pretty much the same. The egg station guys work hard and they belt out great poached and fried eggs and omelet. I would strongly recommend an omelet with the lot and a small amount of the other stuff. Breads and pastries were ok, the coffee was very good.

Room Service: Ended up wtih two nights of room service. Delivered on time, hot and with a smile. Quality of the room service meals was very good, highly recommended.

Lobby lounge: The lobby lounge is very comfortable. They serve nice coffees and snacks here. There is a lot of room between the settings so you can meet your guests and take coffee here and talk in relative privacy. Often there is a piano and singer in the early evening that gives it a nice feel.

Check in and check out was easy and efficient, seeing as I had booked and paid through the agent it was super easy. Cannot stress enough how much better it is to do this

REMEMBER you cannot use credit cards in Myanmar, nobody, dont care who you are.

This means you have to carry a lot of cash, If you are going to carry a lot of cash get US dollars and make sure they are all clean and crisp, this is a Myanmar Central Bank requirement and the hotels cannot do anything about it. Clean money, the newer the better.

The hotel overall was quite good, I would happily stay here again as its convenient to business area and close to the airport.

Room Tip: If you need internet, get a room close the lift lobby.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Aegisint
SedonaHotels, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear Aegisint

Thank you for staying with Sedona Hotel Yangon and sharing your feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

To provide better guest experiences, we will work on improving our maintenance services and internet access facilities throughout the hotel.

We always encourage guests to use cash as the preferred mode of payment. The hotel only accepts credit card payments from Mondays to Thursdays in view of existing limitations, and we would like to make this available more regularly in future.

After our refurbishment plans are carried through, we hope to welcome you back again at our hotel.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I think that there is no standard that applies for all over the world. Sedona in Yangon is in a country that has been shut from the world until really just a few months ago. It is sill very controlled. So most of the issues are out of the hotel's or staff's control. Where they are in control they really try their best.
My colleagues had stayed at the Park Royal before our trip and said it was awful, and the staff their made it even worse.
Sedona is quite different. Very friendly and helpful staff. Still very controlled.A credit card transaction takes an hour so prepare to be patient or leave your credit card. They only take perfect bank notes. But this is all outside their authority. At least they do take credit cards (unlike Park Royal where I had to wire money to a Singapore bank account to rescue my colleagues, despite confirmation that they accept cards).
Reservation was without any problems. I went with a group and our schedule changed a few times so I called and emailed them - it was all fine. Check-in also with no problem although again, be prepared to be patient or leave your passport (I did the latter). Breakfast is like any place else. (Funny that they call grape juice "grape fruit" juice.) The room is ok, I have stayed in worse in NY for example. They have a beautiful outside pool, unfortunately did not have time to try it but I was watching kids having fun in the pouring rain in the pool. Wi-fi does not work for iPad but worked fine for laptops (non-apple). The IT staff were helpful and the business center people let me use the center for free. Overall very happy with my first experience in Burma (or, as they call it, Myanmar).

2 Thank Kata M
Dear Kata M

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review.

We will continue to ensure smooth check-in services and provide pleasant hospitality for our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again in our hotel sometime soon.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I was told there arent' very many options in Yangon and that Sedona was the best one. The hotel seems very old but the staff work hard to maintain it. The room I had was of average size but had a nice view of the lake. I had no trouble checking-in even though I arrived past midnight. My only complaint would be the wi-fi. I'm glad they offer it free because no one in their right mind would ever pay for it. The log-in required constantly kicked my phone and laptop off the network. Almost every 10 minutes I would need to enter the username and password again. It was very frustrating.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Jaeden2012

Thank you for staying with Sedona Hotel Yangon and writing us a review on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for the intermittent WIFI connection you experienced and are working closely with our vendor to improve this service.

Refurbishment plans are being developed and we hope to welcome you back once they have been completed.

We are very happy to hear you had a smooth check-in, and are pleased with our hospitality.

My team and I look forward to seeing you again.

Georgetown, Malaysia
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The reception is not able to have my name although my office had make a reservation for me. After some calling here and there, then only they allow me to check in. Therefore, it is advisable to ask the hotel to send/fax you the booking confirmation. Nowadays, if you cant check in the hotel you reserve, you may find it difficult to get another hotel in Myanmar.

I also find it very difficult to find the names of my another customer who check in at other time. After many trials, only they manage to link me with my customer. The communication of the hotel definitely need to improve.

Facilities of this hotel is good. It has very big swimming pools. Too bad I am on business trip and no time to use it.

The rooms are hygienic and breakfast is good.

The telephone line, somehow is not working well. Understand it may be due to the country telephone network not good. But somehow the breakdown time is too long for me.

The room rate of USD 180 is definitely too high. The recent hike of hotel rates in Yangon is due to the sudden increase in the number of the visitors. Hope the rates will normalise soon in the future.

3 Thank OoiFK
, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear OoiFK

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We would like to apologize for a check-in that did not meet your expectations; this is not our usual procedure and we will ensure that it does not happen again.

As the development of telecommunications in Myanmar is constantly ongoing, the hotel aims to minimize inconvenience to guests by hastening the recovery process each time.

We are happy to hear that you are satisfied with our breakfast and cleanliness of our rooms.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again at Sedona Hotel Yangon on your next trip here.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 21, 2012

It just a standard hotel room which having average room and services. The room is quite old but still consider well maintained. A bit far away from town.
The night club offering some great happy hour deal~!
Just a simple business hotel room~!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear Ikpoli

Thank you for your review of Sedona Hotel Yangon.

We are planning to refurbish the property and hope to welcome you back once the plans have been completed.