After a 7 hour bus transfer from Prome, we were so looking forward to checking into our room. After all the formalities we were courteously informed that we were not expected! and that even though it was 3.30pm our room would not be ready for another 45 minutes - well excuse me! I really am wondering what time check in is and considering we made a booking over 6 months ago to not be expected?? confused! Anyway, Thomas (reception manager) had a chat with house keeping and voila a room magically opened up 5 minutes later.
After returning from the pool, house keeping had been and a letter announcing our iminent departure had appeared, slightly odd as we were staying for three nights! Visited reception who again apologised for the inconvenience and confirmed we were checked in for 3 nights!
Spent some time in one of the best pools around, lovely lush and must be heated because I could walk straight in. The bar has a nice selection of cocktails...but be warned if you order something that is not on the menu, like a long island ice tea prepare to be slugged $15 ++, expensive in any language! A down side to pool is the continual tour groups that trample across the bridge adjacent to the pool...say cheese!
The room was beautifully furnished and softly lit, the bed was firm and large, the shower lacked a little bit of pressure but had even temperature. Perhaps a little more luggage storage may be a good idea as we ended up using the day bed.
Just be aware that there is a high level of noise from the neighbouring rooms. if you are a light sleeper expect to be woken by the toilet flushing, shower running, doors opening and closing and people talking...paper walls!
If you are intending to stay for any period of time, check out the local supermarket about 10 mins walk away the beer is much more reasonable priced!
There is one amazing staff member who you need to look out for, her name is Me Me and I think she must manage the restaurant because every time we ate, she was there - morning, noon and night. Me Me is just a lovely person and probably this hotel would be better served if she managed it. So amazing how one person who is so welcoming can make such a difference to your hotel experience.
The restaurant food is expensive and pricing is comparable to what you would pay in Australia. However the food is delicious, perfectly cooked and served with a high level of care. Our last meal in Myanmar was made even more special by the beautiful secluded garden setting, perfect food, perfect location and perfect company.
This is a good hotel, and could be a great hotel with a little bit of tweaking from someone who knows something about good customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Part of Belmond's international collection of iconic luxury hotels, trains and river cruises, Belmond Governor's Residence is a 1920's teak mansion and hotel situated in the heart of Yangon, Myanmar. Surrounded by lush gardens and lotus ponds, and home to two resident peacocks, the property is a peaceful oasis and retreat from the bustle of downtown. The hotel features the Kipling Bar and two restaurants, including the renowned Burmese Table, a gourmet introduction to the cuisine of Myanmar. The Mandalay Restaurant on the lower level of the mansion serves international fine dining al fresco on the terrace overlooking the lotus ponds. Guests can enjoy swimming in the fan-shaped pool in the gardens or indulge in treatments at the Governor's Oasis Spa. Complimentary daily guest activities and complimentary guest bicycles are provided. The hotel is located near the iconic Shwedagon Pagoda and a short taxi ride to the city center. The People's Park is located within two blocks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Governor's Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Governor`s Residence By Orient-Express Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Governors Residence Yangon Rangoon
- Governors Residence Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- Belmond Governor's Residence Yangon, Myanmar