We stayed one night at the Strand before we took off for our tour of Myanmar, then two nights there after two weeks on the road. Both of our stays were too short! On the first stay, we had to get up at 4AM to get to the airport for a flight and our butler (there are several on every floor) brought us a wonderful continental breakfast (oh those croissants) to wake us up. Heaven. They now have flat screen TVs and get all the required international channels plus lists of first-run movies playing each night. (We watched "Flight" one evening.....) The rooms are very large with a separate sitting room with a settee and two chairs (upholstery and rug could use a bit of work, however.) The old British colonial charm is very much in evidence with the dark wood, ceiling fans, staff uniforms, etc. On our return visit, we very much enjoyed the hotel breakfast (ordered from a menu but a buffet which we liked) and loved the buffalo mozzarella pizza!! We did have drinks in the lovely bar though we were not there for happy hour unfortunately. The concierge desk folks were very helpful. I needed to go our early the AM of our departure to find some of the fermented tea leaves to make the delicious laphet thoke salad and they knew exactly where to send me, just around the corner. I did laundry there (couldn't stand my clothes any longer!) and it was fairly expensive, but one has to expect that at the Strand I guess. They were also helpful in suggesting restaurants not tied to the generals! I gave the place only 4 stars because I do think there are things in the room that needed touching up: upholstery, rug and some of the tile in the bathroom. (Where there is a separate WC BTW....) but all in all we loved our stay at the Strand!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Strand Yangon closed on 1 May until November 2016 to undergo a complete facelift that will return the award-winning heritage hotel to its former glory. Constructed in 1901 in a classic colonial style, the hotel will retain its heritage architectural details, such as marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers, lacquer wood furniture, Burmese antiques, and signature service elements, while being given a complete upgrade and contemporary twist through a refreshed colour palette and subtle decorative details. The interiors of all the hotel's 31 suites will be redecorated in keeping with the Strand's legendary style and elegance, while at the same time updated with the latest technology, including new air conditioning, sound and communications systems. The Strand is famous around the world for its flawless, personalised service and suites will continue to be attended by the hotel's team of highly trained butlers. Once "The finest hostelry East of Suez", we are very eager to reveal the new Strand and bring it back to its former glory. Please continue visiting us for updates and bookings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar