“"Unlike those of some other contributors, good memories of this place."”

House of Memories Restaurant
Cuisines: Burmese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Our first meal in Yangon with our adult son was a pleasant introduction that boded well for the remainder of our two-week trip to Myanmar. The quiet atmosphere at lunch was the perfect setting for the tasty Thai/Myanmar fare we thoroughly enjoyed, as a cool respite from the heat outdoors.The service was smiling and prompt, the local beer cold and the bill reasonable. The memories in the restaurant's title refer to an upstairs room once used by General Aung San, complete with preserved ancient typewriter and historical photographs of his era.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Pretty inedible fare. Tough beef, lumpy nondescript potato salad for a starter, insipid tomato soup. The owner had gone to Moscow for Miss Universe and the staff were letting her down. Nice place for a beer and peanuts but not one for food unless they raise their game. Also need to make more effort monitoring the bathrooms. Overflowing bins and a broken flush. Not a good look.

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Honestly it is pretty near our living place that's why we were here...nice ambiance, warm services, everything is satisfying. Food variety & selection is pretty good and it is authentic Burmese food. Lentil soup, tomato & coconut rice are my recommendation. So far the main dishes are not really surprisingly attractive (ok, to be fair, we are not tourists)

Oh well, still it is a decent place for Burmese style food, in a traditional Burmese mixed design colonial house.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was recommended this venue by the GM of the cities Top hotel. When I arrived my heart sank- the room was set up with a party of 25 and my table for 1 next to it! I decided to sit at the bar and have a couple of Mojitos ( 50% off happy hour ) Then life went from bad to worse! The owner arrived ( confirmed by my waiter ) with 15 guests - after lots of shouting and clear anger from her - the whole restaurant was re-organised. I ordered and asked to go to my table ...... Which I was now told would be upstairs on my own in a closed floor of the place !!!! I refused it and went to see the manager who was less than helpful , but after remonstrating about what had happened to my table with the 'reserved' sign on it - the place was reorganised again and replaced.

I had ordered as per the menu - appetisers (2) then (3)main course - but it was all brought at one time

The relaxed waiters were now completely 'on edge ' and totally preoccupied with the constant demands by the owner for her party to be fawned over. I find it absolutely unacceptable when 'the boss' uses their commercial restaurant and demands that they take priority over the paying guests ( and why couldn't they have gone upstairs ????)

I also orderd Kaiklin and mushorroms and when they brought me morning glory I enquired about my original order I was told " we have run out!" why not just come an tell me ? The food was plentiful and adequate quality - the live music ( pianist and singer ) good and value was great -

But I wouldn't ever go back and think the owner needs to decide if she wants tourists or to run a bar with food for her friends ?

1  Thank AndyDave
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Great food ... We were a group of 4 and everyone ordered from the Thai menu ( they have local Myanmar food, Thai , Chinese n indian ) and everyone thoroughly enjoyed our meals . Beer on the tap is a 1 usd and a steal . The restaurant as you know by now us housed in an old building which houses gen. Aung san s office . There is a outdoor covered seating upstairs . Don't miss this place .

1  Thank hillstobeaches