“Yet another overpriced hotel in Yangon”
Review of Clover Hotel

Clover Hotel
Ranked #40 of 163 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked a room for two nights at the Clover, price of the deluxe room (the only one that were availbale) was $ 120 which is no value for money. The room rate should be maximum $ 60. it is clean but very basic, bedlinen are in a sort of polyestere/plastic that is certainly no pleasure to lie on. Breakfast is ok, lunch and dinner very Chinese. Most of the deluxe rooms face the Swegandon pagoda, which is nice, but they also face on the rear of the hotel and at night the water pump is really noisy....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank enrica0

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The owner of the hotel has 3 hotels in Yangon. I stayed two nites at the neweror Clover. The first room the AC did not work and the toilet leaked. After I demanded my money back they miraculously fpund another room for me. The rooms are so small and over priced for what you get. The buffet is mot worth going to, walk out and gind a restaurant to go to. One week later, I had planned to stay at the older Clover Hotel. When I arrived they had sold my room. I was informed that They had a riom for me at the Panda Hotel. The owner doesn't sell all his rooms at the Panda so he over sells rooms at his two Clover Hotels and then the last folks to arrive get transferred over. The Panda is older and the buffet was below average. Don't fall for this hotel unless you are in dire straits.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TravelwiseSantaCruz
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night at the Clover on New Years Eve. Our room was huge and comfortably furnished. The staff were very helpful and the buffet breakfast provided a reasonable variety of dishes in the rooftop restaurant which afforded a great view of the city.
The hotel us a short walk from the Shwe Dagon and eating places in a quiet location. Very good value.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent a week at Clover Hotel in Yangon. Apart from an amazing view of the Shwedigon temple, it has little to recommend it. The rooms are basic and the restaurant very poor with a limited, mostly Chines breakfast menu. Only plus is that the staff are very friendly (apart fro restaurant) and trying hard. Beware also its a cash only society - no banks or ATMs to get cash from a credit card..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fleetec
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Clover Hotel, Wingabar Road in February 2013. We paid their highest rate, about $140 for Pagoda View. We should have paid no more than $50.

Their advertising is deceptive - lots of pretty pictures. The hotel is new but poorly designed and built. The coffee shop was very unattractive. Our rooms were large and empty looking with tacky furniture. The Pagoda View was obscured by an ugly building. Bathroom fixtures were poorly installed. Bathroom lighting was great and the room was clean - the only highlight. Amenities such as shampoo were of the poorest quality.

The breakfast buffet was very disappointing. They offered commercial bakery grade sweet white bread, cold fried eggs, instant coffee and chinese food - yes all stir-fried Chinese dishes. Actually, I would be open to having good traditional Myanmar food in the morning. But only having Chinese food (and poor quality to boot) seemed ridiculous. By the way, the only food the hotel has on offer for all 3 meals is Chinese food.

If this hotel were priced at less than $50, it would be acceptable. But, how they can feel they can charge so much for this hotel is beyond me?????

Room Tip: If they can give you a room for under $50, it could be a good value. Rooms were very clean and the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth E
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed twice at the Clover Hotel, once when we first arrived in Myanmar, then again the last night before departure. At first the hotel gave a bad impression, but in the end I found it perfectly satisfactory.

The restaurant is weird. It serves mostly Chinese food, something like Tang for orange juice, and a mediocre assortment of fresh fruit. Eggs come only poached, one over done egg at a time. The pastries are dry; the croissants neither buttery nor crunchy. There is essentially no service, other than one waiter standing behind the buffet table to pour coffee or tea, so long as you go ask for it yourself. Other meals are OK.

This was the first place I tried to change money. Don't even bother, unless you have bills fresh from the press. The hotel was far fussier than any other money changer in Myanmar, and fussier than any other hotel we stayed in in Myanmar. Once I realized that the hotel really doesn't want to change money for you, and once I found other money changers, I got past my irritation--but not until after I had rejected two-thirds of the Myanmar bills they tried to give me in exchange for my dollars. They were appalled that I gave them the same treatment they gave me.

First morning I came down with laundry. They said that it would take two days, because they send the laundry out. Most hotels in the region send laundry out, but they get it back in one day. If the hotel cared about service, they would insist that the vendor delivery clean laundry by 5, if it was giv en to the laundry by 9am. Fortunately, I was staying two more nights, so I put up with it, but this was the third thing that created a bad impression--and not just for the hotel, by also for Myanmar.

Once I got out into the city, my impressions changed. I loved Yangon, so I decided I should be satisfied with the Clover. It's a mediocre hotel, but it's only half the price of the fancy hotels, and it is in a nice quiet neighborhood only a short cab ride away from everything one might want to do, and a short walk to Schwedagon Paya. There's even a great view of Schwedagon from the 7th-floor restaurant.

The rooms are spacious, and the bathrooms big and adequate--nothing fancy though. The rooms are like cells; the chairs are ugly orange--two put together like a love seat, but very uncomfortable. There aren't enough electrical outlets if you bring a cellphone or a tablet or computer. Wifi is slow, but at least it works. The beds, however, were comfortable, and the linens were high quality, so I slept well.

The male staff wear western clothes, instead of the longyis worn at most other hotels, so the place seems a bit antiseptic.

Still, once my expectations got adjusted downward, I found the Clover satisfactory and a reasonable value, a place I can recommend halfheartedly to anyone, with appropriate warnings. It was quite a come down, though, from our hotels in Cambodia and Laos, and not as good as our hotels in Mandalay or Bagan.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just down from Shwedigon Pagoda which is a great location. Rooms were clean and staff tried really hard. I found breakfast was mediocre, but beer was cold and trip was fabulous. Do the Lonely Planet walk through old Yangon, it feels like an abandoned movie set. Have tea at the Strand and visualise the boats rolling in. Was pleasantly surprised!

Room Tip: There was no pool or fitness Center just can't get dots to go away when you er lick them. Got so...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends