“Quiet, calm, with amazing breakfast”
Review of Alamanda Inn

and 1 more site!
Alamanda Inn
Ranked #24 of 171 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
“Quiet, calm, with amazing breakfast”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

After 16 days in Myanmar, I spent my last two nights in this small B&B on a narrow street of large homes, and I was very happy this was the place where I ended my visit. The staff will get a taxi for you day or night. It might take 10 minutes. They will negotiate a good price for you. All the members of the staff were friendly and helpful, but their English is very limited. Their French might be better, as the owners are French.

Which brings me to the food -- wonderful! The best breads and the best juices I had in Myanmar. When I arrived I had a big salad -- fabulous after two weeks without lettuce. The coffee is great too. Now, I'm not complaining about the food in the rest of Myanmar, but the restaurant at Alamanda really was a treat. Heaps of fruit at breakfast -- and not only bananas!

The bed was excellent, the shower good (hot and cold water sort of alternated, but it was not bad), and the quiet, dust-free location was such a nice change from central Yangon. Sitting in the restaurant in the morning, I was reluctant to leave. If you wanted to stay for a week and write, or read, it would be a pleasure.

And the wi-fi is good! And free!

The currency exchange rates were the same as the daily rate (in other words, very fair).

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. Check on their website for descriptions.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Macloo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 23, 2012

A good alternative if you don't want to pay for a 5 star accommodation. Like previous reviewer said, Myanmar is a developing country so even if you stay in a 4-5 star hotel don't expect  this kind of accommodations will surpass your normal  expectations.
The place is very cozy, nothing extremely fancy, colonial style...and actually It might be far from downtown but you get to see other areas of Yangon that you normally won't visit. The staff is very accommodative and even though area seems remote, we didn't find any inconvenience finding a taxi.
Actually it's not far from Shwedagon Pagoda, I would say without traffic not even 10min which gives you the flexibility to go whenever you feel like it, early in the morning or evening when the pagoda looks really striking.
Rooms were ok.  Our shower was broken so we actually had to sit inside the bathtub while taking a shower. So that part wasn't impressive.
Breakfast is a treat indeed...so there you go...Alamanda has a few pros and cons.
I would say it's good value for money...just because if you compare to other accommodations in Burma is fairly decent. We also found the owners a bit distant, normally  the reason why some people pick this small B&B's is the warm and personalized treatment, in compensation the local staff is vey friendly with limited English but always trying to accommodate  you.

I would recommend it for people traveling with a budget.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank MsTravelbug76
St. Helena, California
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I just recently returned from Myanmar and spent my first 2 days and last 2 days at the Alamanda Inn. My experience was fantastic! I was in room 4 which has a balcony and it was most charming. The room was spotless. The restaurant at the inn serves some of the best French cuisine I've had in a long time. The ambiance and service was great-the breakfast was very substantial as well. Big bowls of fresh fruit, toast (made with homemade bread!), the juices, and the eggs were so filling that I didn't have to eat for the rest of the day.(The chain hotels could learn a little something from this breakfast offering-no eggs and baked beans scooped out of hotels warming pans.) The lunch and dinner menus were surprisingly brimming with a sumptuous selection of dishes (be sure to have the Moroccan tagine!)
I know that some people have said that this is not a "luxurious" place but I found there were a lot more things that make this a great place over the so-called "5 Star" hotels. I mean after all you are in Myanmar, a developing country, not Las Vegas! I usually stat at the "5 Star" hotels and usually wind up disappointed but that was not the case at the Alamanda. I could not recommend this place more for so many reasons. I am sure you will agree if you choose this place to stay while in Yangon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chef707
Sydney
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This place was OK for the price - better than the cheapie hotels and cheaper than the big five-star hotels.

Some nice touches of character make it homely, but not luxurious. However it is out of the centre with nothing of interest nearby.

To be honest, for the price it is better to pay a little more and stay in a top-end hotel (booked through a travel agent, ie. the Parkroyal is about $20 more).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Alamanda Inn is a very nice colonial guesthouse in a quiet residential area. The rooms are not luxurious but with nice old furniture (unfortunately the bath/shower is also old). We only stayed two nights, and both nights there was a power problem so that the air condition was not working and it was incredibly hot in the room - however you could hear the generator from the neighbours. The open restaurant area is a very nice place, and breakfast was excellent. For our taste the dinner was very disappointing. In all it could be a very nice place, but we did not have the feeling that it was cared about the guests too much. The staff was very friendly, but the owners didn't make you feel welcome at all. We decided to change to another guesthouse for our second stay in Yangon - like some other guests, who had the same impression.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 13ANT
American
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Wonderful rooms, delicious and fresh breakfast. Very relaxing outdoor area/bar.

The local staff were very nice, the French owners were helpful, but a little cold/distant (never really greeted us, etc.).

Conveniently located right next door to Air Bagan office (in case you are booking flights upon arrival). Early morning taxis (for sunrises, etc.) can be an issue. Be sure to arrange the night before.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 6 and 2... both were lovely.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mini_rone
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at Alamanda on our last night in Myanmar and wished we could've stayed longer. It's a lovely place, very laid back and just what we needed. It's not that close to downtown, but that was exactly why we liked it. We had seen the pagoda when we first landed in Yangon (before leaving for Bagan and Inle Lake), and just wanted to stay somewhere away from the hustle and bustle. The restaurant was good too, we enjoyed a light dinner with some wine. Too bad we were in a bit of a rush in the morning, we had the muesli and it was time to go. A very friendly old man who worked at the inn helped us flag down a cab and wished us a safe flight home. We'd definitely recommend Alamanda to anyone stopping by Yangon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple