“Nice but do I want to go inside? Free tourist advice here”

Maha Bandoola Garden
7-Day Private Guided Myanmar Classic Tour with Hotel Accommodations
$65.00*
Private Yangon Full-Day Sightseeing Tour
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The weather was dry the day we visited.

The gardens are immediately visible in the main square of the town. They lay on the south east intersection of General Maha Bandoola Road and Sule Pagoda Road. You can see the Sule Pagoda, The City Hall (an unusual shade of mauve paint exterior to a 1930's type European building, The Visitors Centre..more later on this one... the former law courts, redbrick Victorian English and the former American embassy to the south (currently vacant and in need of refurbishment).

However be warned one of the bottlenecks for traffic in this town is Sule Pagoda Road. Avoid it at all costs as your time is precious if you are in a vehicle.

Now the Tourist Information office is on the East side of the gardens towards the northern end of eastern side of the gardens. This will be a useful stop for you and yes the staff speak English. Whilst I could not find the web address, email or telephone number anywhere on the free city map I obtained, you might find the Ministry of Tourism more helpful on <<www.myanmartourism.org>>. Do send me feedback if you are successful at getting an email or phone number for tourism enquiries.

Back to the Gardens. Road building works on the north side of the gardens, means (I think but am not sure) that cars/taxis/coaches may be able to stop here in future.

I am advised that the gardens used to charge a fee to walk inside but my guide said the charge might have been dropped recently. The gardens are small, beautifully laid out (Half of an acre)? The hedges are low and I saw only one person inside sitting in the shade at the Southern end. The gates were closed and we did not try to enter as we did not see the need to pay for so simple amenity but perhaps their simple beauty is rare in Yangon.

Well the gardens do have one feature that is notable and that is the Independence monument. A conical fluted tower perhaps measuring 25 80 feet (25 metres) in height. The stone is a pleasant bright off-white colour and the base has an entablature, no doubt about cessation from the Commonwealth. Shame for the rest of the world and the economy has languished since. I cannot comment upon the political situation apart from the fact that Ann San Su Chi... (did that get spelt correctly?)...
and the economic fact that Myanmar has Gas fields in it's territorial waters is going to be the hope for a prosperous future. May Our Heavenly God bless this nation.
At 65 million inhabitants, it is small enough to be quite prosperous in 20 years.

Do not to forget the one road that has traffic congestion along with the main road to the airport. To walk around the square and visit the tourist Information shop should be no more than 30 minutes. If you go to the Sule Pagoda take longer but read reviews on that attraction to estimate the extra time.

Enjoy your time and do contribute your experience at this rarely visited place of the world.

In peace.

Chris & Anna.

1  Thank Chris D

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I didn't know there was a fee for entering this park because I didn't enter it. I just took shots of the garden and the Independence Monument from outside as I cross over from Sule Paya; and moved on to the City Hall and Supreme Court thereafter.

It's a peaceful park to behold even from the outside. I stayed at a nearby hotel, so I saw it a few times. There are plenty of blackmarket money changers loitering around the area if you are so inclined to change your US dollars to kyats with them.

The Ministry of Tourism office is nearby if you haven't grab a copy of the free Myanmar map.

2  Thank JoshShoeString
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our guide told us that most "public" parks in Burma have an entrance fee. We entered this park at the gate beside the impressive colonial era Supreme Court building. There are nice views of City Hall, another impressive building. And to complete the set of impressive structures, the park contains an enormous obelisk, the Independence Monument. We continued across the park, with the Supreme Court building behind us, and a minute's walk away, over a footbridge that crosses the amazingly busy road, is Sule Paya, a large temple complex on a huge traffic island.

1  Thank Samthetax
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stopped outside and had a look at the Independence Monument. There's a fee to enter, but if you just want a view of the monument you can stay outside.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stopped outside and had a look at the Independence Monument. We did not go inside the gardens as they are small enough to see from the outside. There were a lot of flowers and it made for a pretty sight in the centre of town.

1  Thank travelbugsonthego