“A bit rough around the edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mother Land Inn 2

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yangon (Rangoon)
Mother Land Inn 2
Ranked #10 of 158 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“A bit rough around the edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Despite the drawbacks, we found this hostel/backpacker type inn to be lively and fun- a great place to connect with other people and share travel plans. It was about 35 minutes from the airport, complete with a funky-van pickup. As we drove closer to Lower Pazundaung Road, we thought, "oh no"- as we drove further away from downtown (15 minutes walking) into a very gritty, real Burmese neighborhood. The inn itself is a bit dirty, the receptionist friendly, it's a bit chaotic and rough around the edges but this isn't exactly a high-end tourist destination. They do have rooms with air con- I would recommend those and any that might have private bathrooms. It is more of a $15-20 inn for SE asia standards, but hotels are scarce and difficult to contact, and seem to have inflated prices compared to regional standards. We paid around $25 usd for a fan-only, shared bathroom, and even in the cool season, was too hot for us. The house itself, was old and traditional with a dark wood staircase, winding passageways something of a cafe area, and restaurant downstairs with a very fun crew of employees. I would recommend this inn if they had bicycles to rent, and more air con rooms, or cheaper prices for the selection available.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Over the years that we were travelling, I pretty much know what to expect in hotels/inns.
But NOTHING has prepared me for this one.

The lobby was NOISY and DIRTY.
Staff were unaccommodating and worst of all, their reservation system is PRIMITIVE.
They just write on a piece of paper, and that's it....
When we were there, seeing/hearing an angry guest was ordinary.
And the staff seemed undisturbed and would even laugh at the guests.

The rooms were really dirty...you would not even want to put your bags down, I tell you.

We even had to pay for the FULL price of the room even though we did not stay for the night as we were Bagan bound that evening.

Something very eerie even happened to me on the morning of the last day of our stay.
It was around 9 or 10 in the morning, hubby and I were supposed to come some sleep after having a rough night on the midnight bus from Bagan.

It could probably be just the lack of sleep but I honestly felt that the bed was floating....
This is the FIRST time I got to experience that (sleep or no sleep).
And, hope you are ready for this: after the floating, I felt a loud thud as if a big basketball hit my nose.
It was so loud that I literally stood up. What's more strange was when I started sneezing (the type you have when your nose was hit hard)!
Really really strange.

Had to leave my husband and just gave myself a city tour and came back with our lunch.

Told the incident to my husband in the airport and fortunately, he felt nothing strange at all.

Then again, it could just be me and my wild imagination.... haha.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Yangon (Rangoon) hotels

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Motherland 2

After arriving in Yangon and soaking up that we had actually arrived in Yangon the smiley staff were just what we needed. Good money exchange, clean rooms, found the area a little noisey but that's what ear plugs are for. Restaurant was good food and only a 15-20 min walk into main town it was a good location. After travelling around it is a little expensive at USD30 per night but its a busy city and that seems to be the going rate. You get much more for your money on other parts of the country. Met people there for advise & gettin ideas on next steps. Overall not a bad place to stay & a good landing zone for those on a 1st time to Myanmar like us!

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had just one night in Motherland Inn 2 before heading back to Bangkok. The place was nice and clean. I had a fan room with outside bathroom on the second floor and most of the rooms in the area in stayed have attached bathroom. So it means shared bathroom became only mine. But it was quite hot during the night which was a bit hard for me to sleep.

Anyway, all staffs are helpful and quite friendly. U can have a brekkie even though u just arrive in the morning. I have no problems during my stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Not the cheapest hotel at $23 per night but a great choice if you can spend a few extra dollars. Rooms were comfortable and the staff was GREAT in helping out travelers with their travel plans. Withing walking distance from Sule Pagoda, it includes breakfast with your stay. It has internet on site and the use of telephone to make your future reservations. The best part is the patio out front where you can sip a beer after your day of adventure and compare notes with your fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows (the cheaper ones). These can get hot during the day if you don't hav...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fubijar
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am amazed at the recent reviews of Motherland Inn where travelers experienced unsatisfactory service from the staff. I stayed here in September and the standout thing for me was the incredible service from the reception staff! The room I stayed in on the top floor was pretty ordinary, with a very uncomfortable bed (very soft foam) and very hard pillow. The room cleaning staff seem to be very young boys who could do with some training on bathroom cleaning. The grouting between the tiles in the bathroom was thick with black mold and the strong smell nearly knocked me over whenever I opened the door to my room. The restaurant staff are cheerful and friendly if sometimes distracted. The reception staff though, I could not fault. I found them to be incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, and always cheerful despite being extremely busy from first thing in the morning until last thing at night. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
I booked my room by email before I arrived and was advised at that time that Motherland could also arrange domestic flight bookings. This they did for me also by email, and my tickets were there ready for me to pick up when I checked in.
Just a note about the difficulty of exchanging US dollars that are not in pristine condition - I asked the owner of a guesthouse at Inle Lake about this and I was told that it's because the banks in Myanmar will not accept notes which are not in near-mint condition. The guesthouse owners and merchants seem to not even know why this is. Hopefully ATMs that allow international withdrawals will be available soon and travelers won't have this headache anymore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I traveled with 4 friends last week, and started our stay in Yangon (Myanmar) at the Motherland 2. Unfortunately, we had nothing but problems. Yes, we were picked up from the airport, which was great, but we needed to get local currency, and since the next day was Sunday, exchanging at the airport was the best bet. Our Motherland 2 driver said there was no time to get money since he had other clients, and assured us that the ML2 would exchange our money at the same rate as the airport. WRONG. When we got to the hotel, and asked the ML2 staff, we discovered not only was this not true, but they gave us a hard time about our US$ because of every tiny flaw. Yes, this is common practice in Burma, but they were very rude about it, and after traveling for over 12 hours, it was a very hard way to start our trip. Here are some other reasons why you may want to consider another place to stay:

*some rooms (such as room 9) were incredibly moldy in the bathroom
*our friends were told they had to turn off their air con at 1am because it was disturbing other guests. It was 90F in Burma.
*The front counter staff was oftehn not helpful, and spent most of the time counting money.
*The reception area is constantly chaotic and loud
*One guest, a young woman, could not lock her room door, and the staff at the front desk refused to help or do anything. This poor girl eventually trudged back upstairs and gave up.

Almost everyone else we encountered in this country were so kind, so I can't imagine why the staff here was so difficult to deal with. We are a well traveled group of people, and understand cultural differences, but all we could think of, was that this hotel/hostal has just gotten too popular (since it is in Lonely Planet) and the staff does not know how to handle it.

I would not return to this hotel, despite the low price.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 9!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends