“Just love the location!”
Review of May Shan Hotel

May Shan Hotel
Ranked #77 of 173 Yangon (Rangoon) B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Very strategic location, in the central of the city, just beside Sule Paya. The price of the room has been revised again, as of 1 Jan, it is US$23/35/50 for S/D/T. There is NO ROOM for price negotiation, if you walk in solo without reservation, and they are running out of single room, you just have to pay double room price even you are alone. Burmese rather let the room empty the whole night, than giving you discounted rate (different approach). I also saw the owner turned away 3 Japanese who ask for $5 discount on triple room, late at night.

Room is small, clean, mostly without window but with strong ventilation fan, air-cond & hot water (but not the single Room 605) working well becoz they have owned-power generator, room with small tv, a bottle of drinking water. Simple breakfast included.

Have little argument about reservation when I returned after traveled around Myanmar, where the lady simply erased my whole reservation, although I just requested her to cancel 1 out of 3 days. She was pressing me to pay double room price initially, but got soften after I managed to show her the initial email reservation. SO, RESERVATION is IMPORTANT IF U TRAVEL ALONE for this hotel
Besides this, the rest are working very fine.

Pros: Location is superb, free wifi at ground floor (though slow), owner is helpful in answering your travel related question
Cons: Reservation system is very messy, just pencil writing. So, better keep an email as proof.

Room Tip: Ask for room with window. Those facing sule Paya road, will have a side view of sule paya.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Travel_freak_mas
There are newer reviews for May Shan Hotel

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Firstly, please check the website: www.mayshan.com
what you see in website is what you get...
since i am a on budgeting traveler, i booked single room cost only 18USD pernight.. i got small room with small bed and small TV.. :p
every room get private toilet.. which is, same size with the room i booked.. the room and toilet is clean enough..
the owner, Mr. Koh and his family were very nice and helpful during my stay there...
the location of hotel is very very very strategic.. it is close to Sule Pagoda.. and only takes 10 minutes slow walking, you can find so many resto for eat..
Dont complaint about the room if you find it disappointed you.. if you only on budgeting traveler.. just enjoy it .. i was having a great time at Yangon City.. hope you too..
taaattttttttttttaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... (^.^)v

Room Tip: just check the website, and choose the room you want, and you will get the same thing as on website...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Since I hadn't made any previous reservations since I left for Myanmar at the last minute, I just checked out the hotel's website and it looked quite good. When I arrived there, it was exactly as I had hoped. It's a rather small hotel, but you get a good deal. It's great for the independent traveler and single rooms run only $23 per night! The other plus sides? It's very basic but the ac is super quiet and runs VERY cool if it's turned down too much. The bathroom is spacious and larger than others I've seen at hotels in Asia and actually has a tub! There is also a TV in your room plus internet in the lobby if you need it. You will also receive breakfast which is included in the room. It's decent but nothing huge and will be offered a choice of juice or coffee,two bananas,two pieces of toast, and an egg. It worked though and did hold me over for awhile after I went out on my daily excursions.

The other great thing about this hotel is it's location. The building is only a few footsteps away from the famous Sule Pagoda and one can see it from their corridor window. (If one were to choose the triple room, they will get a room with a window that looks out to the pagoda).
The city of Yangon is not all that big and some of the attractions are within walking distance. From the hotel, Sule Pagoda, City Hall, High Court, and the Independence Monument plus the gardens are right outside your door. Bogyoke Market is only about a ten minute walk, and for those who don't mind sweating just a little bit, one can also walk to Shwedagon Pagoda from the hotel but it took I think about thirty minutes or so (keeping in mind you will have to walk up a hill to get there).
Also, as already mentioned by others, the people working there are very nice. The one woman who serves breakfast and helps in the lobby is VERY nice and can't seem to do enough for you!
Also, no worries about having to exchange your money into Kyat at the airport as they will do this for you right at the front desk of the hotel!

* However, as others know or for those who are traveling there for the first time, make sure that your US dollar bills are extremely crisp and NOT folded or worn. Otherwise the hotel will not accept them nor many other places in general.

Anyways, in short, it was a perfect fit for staying at while on my vacation, and would highly recommend it to anyone. I know that I will certainly stay there again if I return to Yangon.

For more information and to check out there website just go to http://www.mayshan.com/

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stay at the Mayshan every year and find it very nice. I really like the people there who cant do enough for you. The rooms are always spotless and bbc tv and wifi are a bonus. there is always hot water and electricity. The breakfast is nothing special but that is the same where ever you go in Myanmar. The location cant be beaten and the back rooms are really quite.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back - they are much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank qualitywork1
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I was a little skeptical of this place because it's listed in Lonely Planet, but it turned out to be good. The wireless internet in the lobby is fast and stable, and free for guests. The owners speak English, Mandarin, and Cantonese, and they started treating my like family after I chatted with them for a little while. I had slight diarrhea and they gave me some Chinese medicine (for free), a single vial of which completely cured my problems with no discernible side effects. Because I was there over a weekend, I wasn't able to buy stamps and mail postcards, so the owner offered to buy stamps and mail them for me. Also, my friend and I were cutting it close for our flight so the owner's son went out, grabbed a cab for us, and had it wait for us while we waited for our other air tickets to arrive.

I was a solo traveler. Though they had only double rooms left, they gave me the single rate - $18/night to stay in a double. I'm sure this was only because they weren't full, but it was still nice of them.

One caveat - they gave me a bad exchange rate - 750 kyat per U.S. dollar when the market rate was closer to 800 kyat. The advantage is that they have mint conditions kyat bills (not a practical advantage) and they have a money-counting machine so you don't have to worry about counting all those bills by hand.

The rooms are simple - A/C, cable TV, clean beds and private shower/bathroom, no windows.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the May Shan for 5 days. We enjoyed our clean and comfortable room. Great place for the basics (a/c, clean bathroom, breakfast, tv, etc.) at a fantastic location. Rooms are quiet besides the ultra loud call to prayer from the mosque next door. The people were friendly, informative, and inviting. WiFi is free downstairs. Great budget choice that we'd stay at again. Don't bother with the airport transfer, just snag a cab.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Cush419
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We went last july to Yangon and, due to the rather good reviews an its location, we decided to book a triple room in the May Shan hotel (triple rooms are only available on the hotel’s front side).

1.What we got from the net (hotel’s pages, mails and traveller’s reviews) : a quite hotel – in the center of Yangon, away from the bustle and noise of the city, with a nice view on the Sule Paya, many good and clean restaurants around, and good service.

2. What we really got :
- Service : I really don’t have to complain about it. The lady who manages this hotel always responded promptly to my emails. Before I came to Myanmar, despite she never saw me before and didn’t have my credit card details, she bought our plane tickets for a domestic flight, just as we asked her to do, without asking for any bank transfer or other payment in advance. We paid and got our tickets after check-in and everything went well with the flight.
When we arrived, there was only one girl in charge of about everything : cleaning up de rooms, service at breakfast,… She was always smiling, friendly and very polite. It looks like she really doest what she can to do her job well and be nice to the guests.
- Room : Here came a big disappointment. Due to all the informations we had, we expected a quite room on the hotel’s front and on an upper floor when we made the reservation. But we got a noisy room on the 5th floor. Noisy, because this hotel is in the middle of the busy old center of Yangon, in front of a 6 lane boulevard with 2 additional roads, and 25 meter away from a major round-about of the city ! Furthermore, the hotel is just in front of a big bus stop, where over lifespan running busses stop and start the whole day long, starting somewhere at 6 am and until midnight. Their toots scream the bus destination to attract passengers and fill up the busses. This also goes on until midnight. Last but not least, the area just at the feet of the hotel is full with tea and food stalls, and people stay there until the edge of the day, speaking loud enough to disturb you on the 5th floor for the windows do not shut properly !
Some people said they had a quit room just 3 or 5 meters higher ? Nonsense ! It’s impossible.
Until you have a room without window, you can enjoy a night without traffic noise, but surely not at the front of this hotel. Don’t believe people who tell you something else ; I really wonder who actually wrote such misleading reviews in the past.

Now, about the room itself, we were aware that the walls were covered with tiles. This doesn’t matter at all to us. But the room looks tired and the electricity hazardous, and the hotel’s internet site shows a room during better days... The bathroom is very small and almost completely flooded when you take a shower. And when you open the furniture, you’ll see it isn’t clean as it should be (see pictures added), and the carpet in the lift is really dirty too.
The air conditioning runs well, but when you lay down on your bed, you get the whole cold stream directly and only on your face. The whole night long, you are fighting to escape the cold that’s targeting your head.
And another silly thing is that the front window takes the whole width of the building, while the room only a part of it. So, along the window, our room ends at the staircase with a simple piece of carpet paste on the wall ! If your are in the staircase, you can push a arm inside our room at any time and hear (and if you want see) everything that happens in our room. GREAT ! And odours from the toilet/bathroom have to transit trough the room to be evacuated. No visible pipe link between this bathroom and the outside…

And let’s talk about the many good and clean restaurants all around… Nonsense too ! You just have the restaurant of the Traders hotel nearby, an overpriced little restaurant 15-20 minutes walk away close to the Bogyoke market, as well as a Thai restaurant in front of that market, on the other site of the road. In the Sule Paya road, there is a little well managed bakery, and that’s almost all folks ! I don’t suggest you to try the food stalls on the road. Take care…
About food, their breakfast is OK, enough to start the day.

3. The May Shan is rather a guest house than a hotel, and is more appropriate for backpackers than for other tourists. We paid 40 USD per day for our triple room, but got much more in Mandalay and Bagan for less money.
So, if you ask me would I return there, I say NO right away.

If you need a triple room, go somewhere else, but not here. If a double room without window is OK for you and you intend to eat anything anywhere on the street, try it out.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family