“Michelin quality food, without the price tag”

Seeds Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 1,084 Restaurants in Yangon (Rangoon)
Description: Fine dining place in a beautiful location on the border at the Inya lake in Yangon with a very green garden and great view to the sunset.
Reviewed March 25, 2018

Having booked the restaurant at relatively short-notice, we were pleasantly surprised to not only get a table, but with a request the day before our dinner, managed to secure one of the outdoor private dining tables (the Fire Pagoda).

When we arrived, I was asked for my name and they immediately greeted me, without checking the reservations, and guided us to our table, down a candle-lit board-walk, to our table, immediately adjacent to the lily pond. Something that was calming and romantic (besides the mosquitoes!) and I'm sure would be beautiful by day-light.

We were slightly surprised to see torch-light in the lake, and learned that they row out every evening, to light the candles. An example of the attention paid to detail.

There is no option at this table, but to have the Elements menu degustation. I'm not sure why, but it was fine with us.

Our meal started with some canapes of smoked salmon and samosas, salmon mousse on rye crackers and beetroot and cheese on bread. We were slightly confused that there were only 2 of each canape, except for the samosas, whilst there were 3 of us dining.

4 hours start to finish is a bit too long in my view (I was falling asleep at the table) but given the volume of food, was essential. I personally feel the portions were rather large for a tasting menu, as I could barely touch the main course when it came. I noticed on the online menu that there was an option to have just one starter, but this wasn't offered.

Next up was an 'amuse bouche' of foie gras with dots of incredibly intense jus and a choux bun. The vivd watermelon complemented the richness of the liver.

The first starter of melt in the mouth Teriyaki marinated beef, was accompanied by a delicate tarragon cream. This was followed by the second starter of seared foie-gras (rather undercooked for one of our party) but I found to be truly delectable, married with peach, bringing much needed relief to the richness of the dish.

By this point, I can say that I was pretty satisfied and could have stopped there, so rather picked at the next few dishes. Thankfully I'd opted for the pan-fried sea bass. Technically very good, with a super crispy skin, with soft, flaky, translucent flesh, with refreshing tamarind and lemongrass sauce.

The lamb looked perfectly cooked and according to my fellow diners, tasted as great as it looked.

The cheese-board was tailored to each of us, choosing a lead cheese and others to complement them. I was rather surprised to not have biscuits to accompany them, and when asked, was given bread...not something we wanted, given the vast quantity of food already consumed.

The dinner was rounded off with panna cotta and ice cream, which was a light relief after the intense flavours of the rest of the meal.

Other than a couple of little niggles as mentioned, this really was superb dining. William, our waiter, was on hand exactly as needed and out of sight at all other times. Our wine glasses never quite got empty, clearly well trained waiters!

We have decided to return to Yangon, purely in order to go back to this exquisite restaurant. This is a really lovely restaurant, beautiful setting, exquisite food, excellent service and somewhere to go for a bit of a treat.

1  Thank Leyannm

Reviewed March 25, 2018

Beautiful setting. Great menu with amazing choices of food. Food itself was amazing; I was amazed at the details and care they took for the plating. It is bit expensive but totally worth it.

1  Thank mhspdl
Reviewed March 24, 2018

lovely modern inside / outside setting. international food, done well. can require booking - but if full go next door to l'opera (also great garden, lake view in daytime). not cheap.

Reviewed March 23, 2018

all is so beautiful and so well cured.
Every day they write a chalk motivation word at the entrance, surrounded by petals...it's amazing...
Aperitif on the lake with good cocktails and good nibbles...the atmosphere is fabulous!
There are places inside and outside.
Great menu with great choices, I suggest a menu, in this manner you can taste a complete proposal!
The chef is really kind and gentle, willing to help the guest!
The staff is very well trained, it's not easy!
I love this place and I'll be back there soon!
only one remark...the staff started to clean up the restaurant when our friends and us were still there...it was not kind, please don't do it again, seems that a guest is not welcome and you are in rush to go back at home. I understand you are tired but It's acceptable for a street restaurant, but not for the SEEDS

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I live in Yangon and there is no place for a romantic dinner like SEEDS. The food is exquisite -complex yet flavoursome - they setting by the lake beautiful and Lucia and Felix the perfect hosts. We had booked the birdsnest for a special occasion and were certainly made to feel special. Thank you!

Date of visit: October 2017