“OK except for the smoky mattress”
Review of Eastern Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yangon (Rangoon)
Eastern Hotel
Ranked #73 of 151 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Perth, Australia
“OK except for the smoky mattress”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

When I saw that the hotel I used in Yangon last year was now 4x the price, I decided it was time to try some other options.

I was quoted $45 for a single standard room with window. That room was OK, but the window faced a wall so I stumped up the extra $5 for a room at the front. In hindsight perhaps the standard room would have been better - the street can be quite noisy even on the top floor.

Rooms are spacious, there is a lift, and the free wifi is strong. Decor is not a strong point - the rooms and corridors are painted in 2-tone mustard with a high gloss finish. Bathroom was fine. It's a little way from the centre, but quite walkable and relatively easy to find (look for the street with lots of "Fatherland Construction" signs).

I would have rated this hotel highly but for the fact that my mattress smelt like an ashtray. Coupled with the strong smell of air freshener in the room and the bad meal I had at a previously reliable restaurant (Bharat), I didn't have a good night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nothing fancy but certainly adequate for a moderately priced hotel. Free internet worked well, and breakfast was standard American eggs with accompaniments. I had bought tea leaf salad at the Chinatown market and the staff was most cooperative in providing rice and utensils so I could eat the salad as my dinner. Very nice staff with serviceable English.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less street noise,although the hotel is not on a major thoroughfare.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Feistygal
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in want budget hotels in Yangon. This hotel is a wonder compared to the rest of them. Clean functional rooms, Wi-Fi in rooms, efficient staff and they even provide a safe in the rooms. Very happy with the hotel, I will come again

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Greentrees01
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The rooms here are very neat and tidy and the staff are extremely helpful. It's a bit of a walk into the centre but its great to see the locals in action. There are plenty of local or western eats close by. Wifi is good. It was $55 for our room which seems expensive by Asian standards (for what you get) but that seems to be the going rate in Yangon. Change money at a bank rather than the front desk for a better rate.

• Stayed January 2013
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Try to get a room in the front of the hotel. We were in the back and our window faced a brick wall a few inches away so no natural light. We didn't really care as we arrived late and were leaving early to get a flight. the breakfast was pretty basic. It was the best shower, however, that i had in all of Myanmar. There was a lot of water pressure and it was hot!! The a/c worked, and there was wireless internet in the hotel. We also liked having the grocery store a block away b.c. we could just grab some basics to eat as we were suffering from Burma belly at the time. The staff was very nice and helpful. I believe our room was $50, which is pretty good for Rangoon at this time. We also stayed at the Panda, which was $110. I would probably stay here instead since its so much cheaper - particularly if you can get a room in the front. We called the day before and were able to get a reservation, which is fairly unusual in Rangoon at this time, I believe.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have actual windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephanie s
Ashkelon, Israel
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very nice small hotel at downtown Yangon.
Rooms are large
Affordable
Quiet
Very clean
Staff's attitude very positive.
Free WIFI in the rooms.
Walking distance to Sule Pagoda
You will enjoy walking toward the Sule Pagoda in the evening thru several small outdoors "street restaurants"

Room Tip: the superior rooms are larger and cost additional 10 USD per night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank UriSima
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel may not be the Ritz but what it may lack in modern ammenties is certainly more than compensated by the staff.
The staff are the life blood of this small hotel.
From the first day we arrived they made us feel so at home.Smiles , smiles and more smiles is how you are greeted no matter what time of the day or night.
The staff went out their way to accomodate us and nothing was too much trouble.
The hospitality industry in my home town could learn a lot from these guys.
My family and I are so happy we made the choice to stay there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family