“A shame! Needs urgent renovation”
Review of Alfa Hotel

Alfa Hotel
Ranked #99 of 161 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Don't let you cheated by the first - good - impression you get when you enter the hotel. The lobby is clean and bright. The shock strikes you when you get out of the lift and you are KO when you get into your room! We had booked a Deluxe room with Pagoda view for our last 3 days in Yangon, for which we paid 130 $ per night. Well, indeed the room (11 floor) looked onto the Shwedagon Pagoda. The problem was that we could not draw the curtains: they were attached by a wire. The wallpaper came off the wall, there was a hole in the sheets and the awfully noisy air conditioning dated back to Mathusalem!. I have posted some pictures to prove I'm not lying. The shower didn't work propoerly either. Quite depressed, I asked to change room or see another one, so as to verify we had not been given a rat's hole. But that was not possible, the hotel was fully booked. They nevertheless sent someone to fix the shower, which was the least they could do! I eventually saw 2 other rooms thanks to the hotel housekeepers, but they were similar, i.e. in the same bad condition.
Breakfast is served on the 1st floor: Burmese and international food, nothing special to mention. The watermelon seemed to have been stored in a freezer.
The only positive aspect of this hotel is its location: downtown, near the Scott market and the bustling life, and at a stone's throw away from the Shwedagon Pagoda and its spiritual fervour.
My conclusion is that it is a shame to impose skyrocketing rates for rooms worth 1 star max.
The owners should first think of the wellbeing of their guests rather than the money they could get from them!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel we were in high spirits. The taxi had only cost us 8,000 Kyat from the airport and the hotel staff who greeted us on arrival we smiley and very welcoming. Unfortunately when we headed to our room things started to decline quickly. The corridors have wallpaper basically falling off them and the room had the same problem and a large damp patch on the carpet. After the loo broke and leaked on the floor we understood why the damp patch existed. We tried to change rooms but the hotel was full so we stayed put. After the initial shock of the room quality we found several extra good points that we had previously over looked. Both the wifi and the air conditioning worked very well. The location of the hotel is about a 20 mins walk from the Shwedagon pagoda and a 5 min walk from a good market. There are also good cheap restaurants near by. The rooftop bar and restaurant is also good for both food & drink although a little pricey. We decided to stay in this hotel as it was the cheapest option in the centre of town, people will continue to stay here for the same option. I'm not sure if I'd stay here again, if I did it would largely be due to the friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonLadyV
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent 2 nights (15-17 Oct). As with all hotels in Yangon, this is over priced for what you get but that is because of the hotel shortage. As other reviewers state the rooms are average with some wear but had hot water and the air con worked. The bed was very comfortable, firm which helped prevent waking up with a sore back as alot of hotels think a soft bed is the way to go. Room was clean to normal hotel standards. Hotel is in a good location, within walking distance of town and the main pagoda. What really made the stay a good one was the staff. From the front desk, to housekeeping, to wait staff at the breakfast buffet everyone smiled and spoke pleasantly. Something not always seen in other places. Our arrival was the day after a bomb exploded in the Traders Hotel so the government was on edge and asked hotels to inspect luggage of arrivals. At check in the staff was very apologetic about asking to look at our bags and did so without tearing them apart. The fresh watermelon juice was also a nice touch. The breakfast buffet included with room is more than adequate. They offer both western and asian dishes. There aren't omelets or waffles but eggs, toast, coffee or tea is more than enough for me. If you want a truly awesome buffet breakfast go to the Park Royal but be prepared to pay a lot. The Sapphire roof top bar is quite nice. There was a review in Time magazine about the bar and said that June through September it was closed for rainy season. Obviously since that review management has put a roof over a large portion of the seating area. We visited right after a rain storm so the humidity had dropped and it was cool. You can see the city and the pagoda from there. Drinks are reasonably priced. They had a BBQ set up but not going which was disappointing. We had a couple bar snacks which were ok. The overall rating was based on location and staff. Once the hotel room supply for the city becomes sufficient, this hotel should go for about $30-40. FYI: The Scott Market which is shown on most tourist maps is closed. It looks like they are building a new market across the street but why the closed the old market is baffling.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor facing the city. No noise but the view isn't anything to write home ab...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ptty97
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is average standard, a few years with a bit of wear and tear. The location is good; many downtown Yangon attractions and Shwedagon are within walking distance. The view from the hotel's rooftop bar at night is nice and a good place for night-time photos with Shwedagon as a backdrop.

One of our two rooms had a bit of a moldy smell, so maybe not suitable for allergic visitors.

Checkin was a bit late; we arrived in the morning and were told our rooms would be available at 2PM. We left the luggage at the lobby and went for a walk around town. Friendly staff, but one of the receptionists had a bit difficulty understanding English. (Or, maybe we had trouble understanding her... :) ).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at Alfa Hotel for business trip because there is no other choice since it was the closest hotel to the client office that was not full at that time. Although everything in this place scream for renovation, the place was clean (no cockroaches at sight during my stay), the shower water was hot, and the AC could be very cold.

The toilet cannot take too much toilet paper (my toilet clogged on my first night) and despite my experience in using body language, I failed to explain to them that I needed the rubber plunger. But they keep poking the toilet with the brush to solve the clogging. I prayed every time I used the toilet. I used toilet paper sparingly and thank God the toilet appreciate my efforts.

Apart of worrying the toilet, the restaurant serves good local Myanmar food. You cannot charged the meals or drinks to your room, so you have to prepare to carry large wallet to pay after meals or drinks.

The view of Shwedagon Paya from it's 12 floor bar is magnificent. Everyone should visit the 12th floor bar at least once to admire the Shwedagon Paya. You can also walk to Shwedagon Paya from the hotel.

The hotel is quite expensive (USD 95 per night). However, as I said before, I had no choice. I was also told that there's a shortage of hotel in Yangon.

Overall, it's an ok hotel, clean and close to Shwedagon Paya.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SBudiarto
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I booked this hotel since most hotels in Yangon are really expensive and not really value for money...
It is all a matter or managing expectations... the hotel is clean, old and tired... location is great and service is quite good...
We only spent 2 nights here and were "satisfied" since we knew what we were getting into...
Room size is ok, bathrooms are big but haven´t been renovated in 10 or 20 years... bed is big and firm, but bedding is clean... aircon unit is noisy but not too much for my taste...
Did not try the breakfast but tried the restaurants around the area and are quite good actually...
Overall an ok experience, but not planning on staying here anytime soon...

Room Tip: Rooms on the 8th floor have a really low ceiling, so request a different floor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Thanks to previous reviewers of this hotel for their comments. I based my decision pretty much on what they said and they were dead on. Location, excellent! Pretty central to be able to walk to several sites (Shwedagon, Zoo, Chinatown, Market). Also followed "asdavis" advice to upgrade to a higher floor to have a view of the pagoda. We stayed in room 1215 facing the pagoda and all its changes in moods according to the time of day and the cloud cover. I had to take a picture just about every time I looked out the window. The staff, also great. Very polite, very responsive and always happy to help. Cleanliness, yes it was clean. With all the cracks and crevices in the walls and on every corner, I was (happily) surprised not to fine any roaches or bigger creature showing their faces at the wrong time of the day. So, yes, it was clean, no complaints there. Our unit was also quiet. Being on the 12th floor helped and the location is also a not so busy street although you could hear the taxis' horns every so often. The A/C window unit was always on and churning away so with its muffling noise it made the city noises disappear. When it comes to value, again, all the reviewers were dead on: Over-priced! Oh well, welcome to Yangon, at least the taxis were cheap :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple