“My favourite restaurant in Yangon by an absolute mile.”

Jana Mon Ethnic Cuisine
Ranked #25 of 1,105 Restaurants in Yangon (Rangoon)
Description: It is an authentic traditional Mon people cuisine which only exist in major city; Yangon, Myanmar.
Reviewed June 3, 2019

I've lived in Yangon for a few years so have a good feel for the restaurant scene - but this is by far and wide my favourite place in the city. The ethnic mon food is quite distinctive and very different from other Myanmar food - but is very fresh, not oily and just spicy enough. Its hard to put a finger on exactly what makes it different - but the palm fish curry in particular is a highlight.

The setting is low key but decent and the owners are really friendly. Its BYOB which is the only minor downside, but there are plenty of places round the corner which will sort you out.

I can't recommend this place enough.

Date of visit: June 2019
2  Thank Richjames85

Reviewed March 6, 2019 via mobile

We stayed close by and went because we saw the good reviews. Worth it...
The place is not the one with the best atmosphere. But the food is just amazing. Give it a try

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 3, 2019 via mobile

Our friend recommended we meet here and even brought the Myanmar beers to share. We had stuffed okra (bit dry), roselle leaf salad (deliciously sour), pork curry, prawns (succulent), minced pork, and a jelly fish dish which was nice and crunchy. Service was very friendly, food generally cooked well and spicier than average Burmese fare, and the place was completely unassuming, which was surprising given its rank here on TripAdvisor.

My only disappointment was that two of the four dessert dishes were unavailable.

Definitely recommend.

Reviewed February 24, 2019 via mobile

Good food, quick and polite staff, neat environment! Very good option in the vicinity of our hotel which was pretty far from downtown.

Reviewed February 17, 2019

I think this was my favourite restaurant of my entire Burmese trip. The service was fast, and the food was amazing. The stuffed squid was probably one of the nicest things I have ever eaten!

No beer, unfortunately, but as this place was a 5 minute walk from our hotel that wasn't an issue. We ordered fruit yoghurt thinking it would like a lassi, but it was more like a dessert, something to consider when deciding what drink to get.

The restaurant itself is very pleasant and clean, with plenty of tables. This was a really good way to get to know a different cuisine, and was very tasty. I guess if it offered beer it would be perfect, but even without it was close. :) And it is extremely good value.