“Sad, but has potential”

Bluewater Island Resort Aquarium
Ranked #44 of 59 things to do in Port Vila
Reviewed April 29, 2013

There is no denying that this place is run down. The hotel nearby has closed and the grounds have been left untouched. However, around the two large pools and mouth of the river (if you look beyond the ramshackle buildings) is still a place of natural beauty. We had a hire car and were on our way to the Blue Lagoon so it was easy for us to call in on our way. I would have been very disappointed if paid a taxi fare specifically to see this. The "attraction" seems to be run by local people, not westerners like many of the attractions on Vanuatu so there is very little money for upkeep. However I'm not entirely sure how legitimate it is. I am wondering whether the locals have just caught these animals, put them in the pools and are charging an entrance fee. The "guide" that was with us told us he had caught some of the large fish that were in with the sharks.

We paid an entrance fee of approx AU$10 per adult, children were free. There were a few local guys sat under the trees and one wandered over to collect our money, directed us to where we could park across the river and followed us over with a paw paw to feed the sharks, fish and turtles. We enjoyed hand feeding the two adult turtles. There were no baby turtles. You can swim with the sharks and turtles at high tide. We had taken snorkel gear but unfortunately the water was too low. The guide offered us a free visit the next day so we could swim in the pools but we were going home so couldn't take him up on his offer. If you engage the guide in conversation he is very interesting. I didn't feel in any way that the animals were treated badly or looked unhealthy.

We spent about 20 minutes there altogether but didn't come away feeling that we had been cheated. Well, maybe we did a little! We would have loved to have had the opportunity to swim in the pools with the animals. We just left feeling sad that such a beautiful place had been abandoned but at least we were helping the local economy in a small way I guess.

8  Thank Gisele H

Reviewed January 22, 2013

What a fantastic location. So much that could be done to this place but sadly it has been neglected over the years. New owner/manager may improve things as it is a great place with wonderful natural assets.

2  Thank 879VICH
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Was ripped off on the taxi fare out there after being told it would be cheaper the turtles are half dead we were shown pigs WT
I would never ever return nor would I ever recommend this place to anyone I would more likely tell people to never go the cost is horrific for a paw paw that falls from the tree 18000 vt is day light robbery to feed a turtle the girl was giving our food to other people to feed an Epic No Go

5  Thank Lindyleavy
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived by cab - outlook is beautiful, water very cold and they have a swing rope that you can jump from (if it isn't really busy)

1  Thank Lianne27
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A bit pricy and animal welfare not high on the agenda here. Kids enjoyed interacting with turtles etc, and the beach was fantastic for a swim, but I would check out other turtle experiences before this one.

4  Thank Gavin F