“Good stopover in Port Vila”

Vanuatu Holiday Hotel
Ranked #43 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Kuranda, Australia
“Good stopover in Port Vila”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

A nice quiet little hotel away from the city centre but still handy for it, clean room with good aircon and nicely set-up, nothing fancy but just fine for a stopover and maybe as a base. Helpful staff with quick check-in, and there area couple of restaurants and a supermarket within easy walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Phil G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Hello all. I visited again recently and noticed a few changes so wanted to share my experience(s) for your own reviews. There appears to be some changes in management strategy as the Owners now live on-site with a physical presence evident within the Reception area. I learnt this resulted in some recent "specials" of which I was unfortunate to miss out on by a week. The staff appear to be more actively involved in maintaining the establishment and compounds but my own personal experience continues to be of satisfaction and enjoyment - well aware of what I am getting within the range of what I have paid. Although it made no difference to me, please note that you are now required to settle your main accommodation booking upon arrival and when booking in and no longer when checking out at the end of your stay. I was able to quickly and easily do this by credit card and actually received a discount in doing so. Still my place of preference as I find it most convenient for what I do during my trips. There are two decent 'supermarkts' nearby in "Leader Price" and "Au Bon Marche" - both of which you will find a familiar brands available at Coles or Woolies here in Oz and the supermarkets in Aotearoa/NZ.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank LazySysAdmin
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I travel to Vanuatu quite regularly and although I grew up locally and am well aware of the surrounding area and other options for accommodation, I came across VHH completely by accident after running out of options. Rooms are cheap, clean and comfortable in the greater scope of things. Personally, air-con and a pool is a "must" in Vanuatu and what they had to offer was good enough for me. On two particular trips, I had minor issues with the allocated room but was able to change rooms easily without fuss. Breakfast is basic but sufficed to quell the kava hangover before a trip into town for real coffee. Town is nearby and easy to get to either by your own car, public transport or a 10min walk downhill. Friendly staff. Secure and despite other comments, I had no problems sleeping there.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the main street or facing towards Kaiviti will be quieter. Rooms away from the dark...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank LazySysAdmin
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our travel agent booked us here when we were in transit in Port Vila. Yes, we were taken to the Holiday Inn by mistake. The rooms are basic, but they were clean and comfortable and spacious and had air-conditioning. We had to leave at 5am, and the owner very kindly arranged for some breakfast for us at 4.30am - you cannot get better service than that. Breakfast was in a thatched, open air central area with unpaved floor - it was very atmospheric. It is not 5 star, but it is inexpensive and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SydneyBridge
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Basic accommodation, but close to town and cheap. The staff are friendly, breakfast is basic (wheet-bix and fruit). There is free wifi and it's in a fairly quiet part of town.

Sometimes the bus drivers will take you to the hooliday hotel by mistake, so make sure you explain it's near the kaviti.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HHH255060
Noumea Nouvell caledonie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel just a weekend and was told to off the air condition once left the rooms. Which we were surpise for we are the clients and its up to us what we do cause we payed to stay there but there were rules that we were told to abide. We were living next to the Manager's office and they had a dog that was barking most of the time. So the afternoon no rest for the barking was on and off.
The first night very shocking. I believe the rooms was not clean before we arrive. Bathroom no soap or mybe they had but was not told where it was We had a big honest nest next to our window. So I called for assist and there was only the reception at front desk with security. So I had to get the nest down.
We asked for 2 single beds they gave a buck bed. I was with a elderly lady that I left her the bottom part but I couldn't climb up to the top for the steps to the top was so narrow and with my weight I just could climb up so I just pulled down the mattress and slept on the floor.(What a condition) At night couldn't go to sleep for some men were drinking at the pool. So the noise was just another issue The Kitchen was not that clean and not much utencils to use. There was a funny smell.
Breakfast was not so exciting. Just a normal tea, coffee, bread and local fruits as banana, pawpaw, and fruit juice. The local staff was welcoming not the Host of the Hotel. For the location, its a ideal just 5 minutes from town.
My personnel experience I wouldn't recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank babralaun66
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

The rooms were clean and tidy. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they were presented. It was close to town and we only caught a bus once when it was very hot. The staff were great and were very patient with the group of teenagers that accompaned us.
Breakfast was included free in our stay and the toast, wheat bixs and large amount of fresh fruit were really satisfying and everybody in the group agreed. Juice, coffee and tea were also provided.
We were a large group and needed to prepare meals there to save some money but I would not reccommend using the kitchen as it was horrible but after cleaning was very basic to say the least. A gas stove and we only used the cooktop as the oven door was broken. The sink was a mess but after a good scrub and some boiling water was useable. There was only a large pot and a saucepan for cooking and that was all that was supplied in the kitchen. We managed a few meal but it was mostly sandwiches for lunch.
There were problems with the pool when we arrived and we couldn’t swim in it for two days but they did rectify this and it was beautifully clean for the last couple days of our visit.
Overall we enjoyed our week stay here and if we were travelling with a large group on a budget again we would definately stay here again but we would need more kitchen supplies.

• Stayed January 2011