“Wonderful! Thanks Jack and Janelle!”

Traveller's Budget Motel
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Katherine, Australia
“Wonderful! Thanks Jack and Janelle!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We required a cheap hotel to stay overnight before flying to Santo. We booked Traveller's Budget because it was cheap and in a good location. We turned up, expecting it to be dodgy given the awesome cheap price. Man, were we wrong! As soon as we stepped through the gate we were met by Jack who welcomed us and introduced us to everyone. Room was perfect and simple. All we needed.
As we were flying to Santo the next day on a small plane, we had to be mindful of our baggage weight. We had way too much! We asked Jack if we could leave one of our bags with him for a week and he couldn't have been more helpful. He locked it away and it was kept safe for us until we returned.
The next morning we had to be up early for our flight. Jack was up at 5am with us and waited out on the road with us to ensure our taxi driver arrived. When the driver was late, Jack offered to drive us to the main road to hail one.
Jack has fantastic local knowledge and would help in any way he could.
So if you're looking for somewhere friendly, simple and to meet new people, Traveller's Budget is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank NessieAndPaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have just recently stayed in the Traveller's Budget Motel with Jack and Janelle, the service and quality of the room was fantastic. They fed us amazing food which filled us up!! Our rooms were spotless and were cleaned every second day. We always had enough of everything and we were looked after very well. They had a great hang out space out side where we were able to talk for hours or relax and swim in the pool. Jack and Janelle looked after us amazingly and I highly recommend Jacks Spaggetti!!! We had a great time and hope to come back soon!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Eddie J
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A very friendly helpful couple who run the place, very in tune with what free independent travellers want.
Quite, comfortable and awesome breakfast.
Only 10 mins to town, so very convenient.
Jack and Janelle were really helpful from the moment I contacted them by email.
The staff were also great.
There is a good kitchen available- which given the cost of eating out in Port Villa is definitely a must if you were staying for any length of time.
Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jill F
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Thanks Jack and Janelle, for your accommodation while in Port Vila. We were comfortable, relaxed, and so glad we had a reliable place to stay while doing our island hoping around Vanuatu.
We would be happy to return to your lodge when we next visit Vanuatu!!

Haydn and Carolyn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Haydn P
Sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Travelling from Australia on Air Vanuatu I was told there were no connecting flights on the day of travel to Tanna Island so I made a reservation with Jack & Janelle. The arrangements they made for me were detailed and I arrived at their motel after midnight July 12th. Lights were ablaze but no one to be found. Finally Regina one of the staff woke and went to find Jack who was terribly apologetic! We sat and talked in their open kitchen/dining room until I retired.

Jack and Janelle are a perfect couple to run this type of accommodation. They seem to know everyone in Vanuatu! Stay still long enough and Jack will sell you property while Janelle will have you booked on multiple tours!

I've stayed in places with open kitchens and they are a bit of a gamble - everything is on display! Regina has every surface spotless and every implement gleaming!

I only stayed about 12 hours at T.B.Motel but it was enough to know this place is a kind of hidden oasis.

Now one thing about being old and travelling by myself is that my memory is a little dodgy. I get to the airport and discover I have the room key in my pocket! I'm not carrying a mobile but a young lady contacts Janelle for me and I take key to a tour desk for eventual return. The next day I discover that I've left my insulin injecting pen in the fridge at T.B.Motel. The people I'm staying with at Rocky Ridge Bungalows on Tanna Island contact Janelle and as Jack was supposedly going to the airport he put the insulin in an envelope and it was delivered a couple of hours later. I felt like a real goose!

I'm not a fan of Port Vila but once you're inside T.B.Motel you are insulated and could easily make this your base.

Room was simple and spotless. Food was great. Staff were super friendly and efficient and the wonderful owners couldn't do enough. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Try to avoid arriving from Sydney after midnight!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank PetenKay
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Nice hostel, clean rooms, good price (by Vila standards), good central location, Jack and Janelle were friendly and helpful, lovely local staff, nice breakfasts and friendly atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Craig M
Melbourne
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. Rooms were clean and compact. The whole motel is pretty compact in fact.

The owners are indeed very nice and helpful. Might be a little too helpful for the independent travellers, but for most people, they would be seen as genuinely helpful.

Location was fine. 10 min walk to town and there were restaurant options nearby.

While we were there there were several interesting expats that popped in. It appears to be have a very open door policy, but all nice people. The owners love a drink.

Overall, I think it does what it says it does, and is a good option for the budget conscious.

• Stayed June 2012