“No toilet paper, now threats.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
Worawia Holiday Haven
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
“No toilet paper, now threats.”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I am a frequent traveller to Vanuatu as I have many friends that I class as family. Previously stayed in mele village with these families so never need hotel. However this recent long stay I was travelling with my toddler daughter an thought for more cleanliness an security it might be best. I have been in dispute regarding my refund for well over a month now as I paid in full for 1 month an only stayed 2 weeks as the service was horrible. I was booked an paid for a private bungalow with double bed fans etc. When we arrived We were in the dorm with 8 teenage girls. They left the next day luckily. For the first few days I didn't think about complaining about the room as long as it was just my toddler an I. The breakfast was pathetic as it was very unpredictable if we even received any daily. We went nearly a week with out it even after I asked everyday if it was coming ( by this time it's about 10:30-11am) next was toilet paper or lack of. I had to borrow some from the local villagers next door. Then bought my own in town. After meeting with the owner Mervyn on a few occasions he pushed me to continue staying there. When I returned to find my wallet open an other things in my locked room moved around I decided it's time to leave. The was very poor security many locals after drinking would be roudy an wander right out side my room. After discussing I would like a refund an the managers agreed the stay had been very upsetting even on their behalf with staff I moved to mele village. I'm still chasing the owner Merv for a refund an after he was brushing me off for over a month I have notified him if it does not get resolved I'll go to consumer affairs he proceeded to make a comment which can be quite threatening. What ever u do don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed June 2011
8 Thank Jettsetter2011

Business
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We were looking to take our 5 children who are between 6 and 12 on a cultural experience. On my check list for accommodation I needed a pool to keep the kids amused and cool and cooking facilities so we could self cater, Worawia had both, Air conditioning would of been nice but you can't have everything when your on a budget. The pool ended up being mediocre due to the rain and heat the chlorine doesn't last long but it saved the kids from over heating in between walking the 4 minutes to the clear pristine beach to play on the water toys outside the Beach Bar and a 2 minute boat trip to Hideaway island which had the most amazing snorkeling and was the perfect snorkeling conditions for our aged children. We talked to the locals who got us some great deals on local entertainment and an authentic cultural show. This accommodation is set on the out skirts of the one of the largest Villages in Port Vila and walking in the Village was lovely. The kids could buy sweets and the local kids gave us flowers and seemed as intrigued with us as we were with them. We had a great stay at Worawia the staff were very helpful, honest and cleaned our room everyday. No small task when there are 5 kids! If you are looking for a 5 star luxury holiday this isn't the place for you but for an authentic Vanuatu holiday on the cheap this place is fantastic. It can get a bit rowdy at night time from the local parties probably depending on the time of year you travel but their music is lovely and we never had any trouble. The traveling to Port Vila can be expensive if you go in everyday but you can buy fresh fruit, vege, chicken and anything else from the local village. You need to have VATU.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed a couple of nights at Worawia. Handy to Cascades, Mele village, Horse riding. Sadly a bit close to the village and the resident guard dog earned her keep one night scaring away drunken locals. Lovely staff who are happy to help. Fully self contained if you wish to cook. Order meals in advance - they are made in town and brought out to you. Good food at a good price. Was pleasantly surprised to find breakfast (simple continental) and transfers included.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Worawia is a clean, modest establishment with kitchen facilities, a swimming pool and beautiful garden. It does pretty well, given the challenges of the environment. A short ride from downtown Vila - 160 vatu in a public bus, which are plentiful - and a short walk to Mele Village, good swimming beaches, Hideaway Island (great snorkelling, free ferry and pretty good food) and a beach bar/restaurant with internet. Half an hour away are the Mele Cascades - not to be missed - and the Secret Garden, which gives great insights into Vanuatu's culture and history. Staff are very friendly and airport transfers seamless. The breakfast includes a bountiful variety of fresh fruit, some from the garden.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
North Shore
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We were lucky enough to spend a week at Worowia mid December - what a gem. This property has three fully self contained bungalows in a garden setting overlooking the pool and another larger one adjacent, as well as a dormitory style bungalow.
Service was A1.Nothing was too much trouble.
We were picked up at the airport as promised.
The locality suited us perfectly - away from the city, but a close bus ride there if we wanted to go, Worowia is set close to Mele village, the largest on the the Island.
Our bungalow was furnished simply, in 'Island' style, in keeping with the surroundings and locality.
The daily tropical breakfast( included in the tariff) was always beautifully presented with a variety of local fruit and complete with a flower on the tray.
Hideaway Island (with the best snorkelling) was a five minute walk to the jetty and five minute ferry ride away.
Mervyn, Janet and Valerie are a great team.It's the small things. What a delight to come back one afternoon to find that a lovely Christmas decoration had been hung on our front door.
If you are looking for value for money, want to enjoy staying somewhere other than a hotel or a big resort then Worawia is the place. It offers so much for so litte cost.
We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed November 7, 2009

I stayed in Worawia Holiday Haven for 7 days in late October 2009. I enjoyed my stay there. It is located 15 minutes bus ride from town centre, 5 minutes walk to Hideaway Island’s ferry and Mele Beach, and 15 minutes walk to Tana coffee shop (it is a worth visit for coffee lovers). Also, the resort is located very close to Mele Village which is the biggest village in Vanuatu. When I travel overseas, I always like to see how local people live and I had an opportunity to see this by visiting the village with one of the staff from the resort, Valerie who lives there with her family. That was a great experience for me.
Accommodation is basic however it was comfortable and clean. The room was cleaned everyday. The biggest asset of the resort is the staff. They are kind, friendly and helpful. Although I was the only guest, staff arranged a BBQ dinner one night – beautiful Vanuatu food with wonderful French wines (The owner of the resort brought those drops from his restaurant in Town. Thank you). I very much appreciated their gesture. It is a quite and relaxing place to rest and enjoy the holiday.
Thank you for making my holiday enjoyable and memorable. My special thanks to Janet and Valerie. I hope to see you again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2009

a place where the staff really care for you and do everything to make you a wonderful and unforgetable holiday

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends