“Not Our Preferred Resort”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Benjor Beach Club

Benjor Beach Club
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
“Not Our Preferred Resort”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I had high expectations for Benjor Beach Club and I was a little let down to be honest. We had to leave early due to my grandfather's death and the staff didn't really go out of their way to make this process any easier for us. The location was quiet but quite a long way from the town and any grocery stores, making it difficult to self cater. The rooms, though spacious and comfortable, were only cleaned every 3 days and for "addition services" you had to pay something ridiculous like $100 for something other resorts do willingly for free. By the second day, especially living with a teenage boy, our room was very dirty and the bathroom was crawling with bugs. The towels were constantly wet because they weren't being replaced and the weather wasn't great during out stay so we couldn't dry them in the sun.
I found the lighting in the rooms to be quite depressing to be honest, and found myself staying in the bedroom not wanting to face the harsh lighting of the living area. The resort itself is quite picturesque but the "deck chairs" they provide for you to admire this, probably will cost my a future trip to a chiropractor. They advertise a mini golf course, which is concrete, making the actual mini golf playing extremely difficult.
The quality of the wifi was shocking and may as well not have been there at all - I couldn't even load a web page.
The staff were very friendly and we met the manager who was a kind man and offered to drive us to the restaurant we were dining at one night after we waiting for an hour in the pouring rain for a bus the reception told us they called...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Chloe S
happygirlmm, General Manager at Benjor Beach Club, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Chloe, given your young age and recent loss we wont be commenting too much on the approx 36 hours you spent at the Benjor Beach Club. Suffice to say the room cleaning arrangements are clearly stated and at no time were you quoted by a local, who don't use dollars as their currency or the management, $100 to clean your room. We are happy to accommodate any extra cleaning on an as required basis. We are pleased you found the location quiet and the rooms spacious and comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Not to be mean to the people who work there as the local people are just lovely and made my time at Benjor quiet enjoyable but the place itself is quiet old and dirty which I'm not a fan of. I didn't like how the rooms were cleaned every 3 days as I found that they got dirty quickly. Also didn't like the fact the curtains did nothing to keep the light out of the room. Aircon would have been nice considering a lot of people who visit are not use to the heat. If you are wanting to sleep in I'd double check on where you are staying as if there is a family with kids you can hear them clearly if they wake up early and start running around. Also found the pillows useless to sleep on. Every night getting to sleep was a hassle as it was warm, sweaty and just not comfortable.

Location wasn't too bad.

Food at the restaurant was nice but was annoying if you wanted to order something and get told number of times that they have ran out of it! Quiet annoying!

Overall if I go back I'd only be popping in to say hello to the lovely staff. I'd rather be staying in the Holiday Inn!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank littlemissgiggles379
happygirlmm, General Manager at Benjor Beach Club, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you littlemissgiggles379 for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Benjor Beach Club. With our ongoing renovations, we have this week replaced curtains in the ocean front rooms with blackout curtains. Our rooms are serviced every three days but this can be increased to daily for a small fee if required. By commenting that location "wasn't too bad" we are assuming you meant that the Benjor Beach Club's location had you close to the top experiences that Port Vila has. Within a couple of kilometers on average we have the Cascade Falls, Ziplining, Zorbing, The Summit Gardens, Tanna Coffee and The Secret Gardens, not forgetting Kayaking Vanuatu operating from our property plus snorkeling and swimming out the front. The Holiday Inn you mention is approximately 3 times what you paid for your stay at the Benjor Beach Club plus it is approx 8 times further from these top attractions than the Benjor Beach Club .. Its like paying for a mini and saying you would prefer a Mercedes. Yes, in our endeavours to provide fresh food in our restaurant we do occasionally have items missing off our extensive menu. We don't advertise we have air-conditioning preferring the fresh sea air and fans over resort rooms with non-opening windows and air-con..
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Had a quick break at this picturesque resort. We were pleasently surprised at what we got for the price. Very spacious rooms with ocean views and good facilities. The staff were very friendly and helpful with information on Port Vila and Vanuatu. We also enjoyed the restaurant. This resort delivered above expectation.

Room Tip: We liked the view from our room which overlooked the pool and the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chinaboy2014
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We chose Benjor simply because we wanted somewhere quiet to start our holiday, and being out of town we thought this was the perfect option. From the moment we set foot in the foyer, we were blown away. The staff were amazing during all aspects of our stay. They were all incredibly helpful and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was organised efficiently.

We stayed in an Ocean Villa and were not disappointed with the view. Our room was open-planned with simple furnishings, however it was very comfortable. The grounds are immaculately kept, and as previously mentioned by others, the resort is right on the waters edge. We went snorkeling directly off the beach, wading out about 30 meters (make sure you bring reef shoes!), where there were hundreds of fish in amongst the coral.

While we didn't venture into town during our stay, we did organise tours that picked us up from the resort. We did an Around Island Tour that was fantastic and did a Kayak tour from the Resort's Beach. We also choose to go to the Summit Gardens, however we went by bus not tour, which was easily organised through Benjor's front desk.

We ate most of our meals at Benjor's restauraunt and can say that there is a great variety and good quantity in all the meals. The restauraunt is a great place to sit back and enjoy the view and the quiet calming surrounds.

Overall we had a fantastic stay and can thoroughly recommended staying at Benjor.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nickers0801
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Benjor Beach Club late April 2014. We went with no expectations but were really pleased with what we got. A picturesque bungalow on a spit close to the beautiful coral beach, absolutely blown away. The bungalow was open plan with a shower/toilet with an outlook to the water through the patio doors. The staff were exceptional even with the language barrier, they were courteous and friendly. the management went out of their way to make us welcome. The food was well priced for the quality your received and drinks were also not too expensive considering where you are. If you want a holiday with long white beaches, where you can sit on a beach with table service, this is not the place for you, if you are adventurous and like exploring untouched areas of jungle, rivers with waterfalls, climbing volcanos, watching traditional land diving, then this is the place to base yourself. Yes it is a few kilometres from Villa but for equivalent of $4 AU you can get a local bus. At the end of the day who wants to be in a city when you can enjoy the extensive grounds and snorkelling spots at Benjor. Do yourself a favour and give it a go!!

Room Tip: The "honeymoon" bungalow is a quiet retreat for those who prefer privacy and seclusion
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonT1959
happygirlmm, Owner at Benjor Beach Club, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear JonT - thank you very much for taking the time to post such a great review on Tripadvisor. What makes it great from my perspective is not only did you obviously embrace Vanuatu and all it has to offer (as you said an Adventure full paradise) but you described both the country and our Resort very accurately. We appreciate your comments and feel sure they will be very helpful to other would be travellers to Vanuatu (and hopefully Benjor). We would love to see you back! All the best Miranda
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have been and stayed at the Benjor beach club for a total of let me see, I’ll just quickly grab my passport here on the kitchen bench and add up the times I’ve been here, HOLD ON ONE SEC! I’m here now in my beach unit writing this (my first) trip advisor post for you!
OK it’s … 37 times yes that’s right you’re not misreading, its 37 times I’ve been here at Benjor Beach club over the past 9 years! WHY so many times I hear you say, well I’ll tell you.

But first what is trip advisor?
What is it for?

If I’ve got it right then trip advisor is a website advising fellow travelers of good, great and bad experiences people have had whilst staying at various resorts and hotels etc. throughout the world.

I’ll tell you why this is my first posting on trip advisor in 37 times coming here to Benjor. Simply put I was being selfish and keeping it all to myself, people back home in Bris keep saying are you going there again? Where do you stay? To which I would say I’m not telling you and I wouldn’t tell them until now, but now I have changed my mind.

Benjor suits the VERY busy who work seven days for ten or twelve weeks in a row and need superior down time for ten or twelve days off. Benjor is situated on approx. 25 acres right on the Pacific ocean, there are no set paths anywhere herding you somewhere, just lush green grass and no mobile phones, there is no tv and there is no entertainment in the restaurant either, sometimes if the origin is on we put on the game on the big screen.

But what others may say see as a negative are in fact positives to many.

The units my wife and I stay in are self-contained as we like to stay in to watch dvd’s and cook some nights. Most nights we do eat at the restaurant but if its master chef you’re after you’re in the wrong place, Lobby and rib eyes are ALWAYS brilliant.

The wife reads around three novels every time we are here and I get stuck into my science mags Cosmos and Nat Geo etc plus there is ample time to sketch out some new inventions on paper with NO disruptions, you can stake out your own private little beach and drink champagne in the sea shallows (recommended) or go snorkeling with no word of lie the best snorkeling I’ve seen in the world and I’m 44 years old.

So Benjor suits someone who wants peace and quiet and likes to read and did I say likes to have a drink or five, there doesn’t seem to be children here often but I have seen some very well behaved ones. This is not the resort for families really unless you are happy to go out every day to do the many, many activities on offer around the island.

We go into town, only a 15 minute, $10 bus ride away, 50% of the time for the restaurants as we are doing tonight.

If it is a special place for your wedding you are looking for you cannot go past it. There is a specially built wedding site on the ocean front, surrounded by tropical gardens and its very own waterfall and freshwater creek.

There is also a private retreat villa with its own outdoor Jacuzzi. If you are coming with a group friends there are 5 bedroom chief villas available or adjoining villas for up to 8 people.
If you just want to relax and let all the work be done for you the single units are a must.
We have stayed in every single villa/house type, but we prefer the self-contained option.
There is tennis and the worlds hardest 18 hole mini golf course (although after 37 visits we have managed a hole in one on every hole) as well as other activities available.

You can lounge by the pool or the ocean and even when the resort is full you may not see another soul until you head to the officers club for happy hour drinks from 5pm -6pm.
The local staff will bend over backwards to assist you, but remember this is Vanuatu and you are on island time.

We will be returning again in approx. 12 weeks to sit, relax, read, swim, snorkel, eat and drink. Let the sighing commence…..

Kevin & Amanda Watson (Benjors most frequent Guests)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kevin W
Wow - thanks so much for the really descriptive and positive review. We totally welcome and feel honoured to have return guests such as yourselves and it is a great compliment to all our staff and management team that you feel you want to come back over and over again. You are of course always welcome and it is guests like you that contribute to the overall success of our lovely resort. See you soon!! All the best Miranda
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We chose this resort having read reviews about the large grounds and being on the ocean. We were not disappointed. We are vegetarians and try to stay in places that are natural and harmonious. This was both. The gardens are simply beautiful - not over landscaped and plenty of lovely private areas under the trees or down by one of the many beaches to just hang out, read a book and enjoy the always changing vista of the ocean. We just loved it. We also had very good food with plenty of choices that suited our dietary requirments. This is an unspoilt tropical paradise with helpful staff, beautiful views and good food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple