“Tournament Angler”
Review of Sportfish Vanuatu

Sportfish Vanuatu
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and experience some of the great inshore sports fishing options Vanuatu has to offer. We are based at the Wahoo Bar in picture perfect Havannah Harbour, which is on the north west side of the island, allowing us easy access to some of the most consistently sheltered areas. We offer half day and full day charters starting from as little as 40,000vt. Maybe you are chasing a personal best or want to test your speed up against a dogtooth or GT, or you simply want to be out on the water with your family. Vanuatu has some great tasting fish, and we encourage our guests to take home a piece of their catch. Most resorts will be happy to cook your catch for you, or if you prefer you can have it cooked at the Wahoo Bar and enjoy a few cold drinks as the sun goes down. Visit our website for some great pics and keep up to date by following our latest fishing reports.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Last year my wife and i spent our belated honeymoon in Vanuatu. I usually go fising at least once a week, so i think my wife could tell it was killing me being this close to this amazing fishery and not having a rod. i sussed out a few of the charter operators in Vanuatu and finally decided on Russ from Sportfish Vanuatu. Being a proffessional angler in Australia i was slightly scepticle about going on a charter, Russ was quick to change my mind. we had a great day chasing Trevally and other reef fish on poppers, surface fishing for these big fish is certainly not for the weak and faint hearted. Russ and Sam looked after us like we were family we had a great time and look forward to going back as often as we can.

2  Thank dean s
Sportfish_Vanuatu, Owner at Sportfish Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dean & Cass, great to meet you both! We'll catch them next time for sure. Good luck with the babysitting and see you here again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I took a day charter with Russ last week. Sportfish operate out of Havannah harbour, which is about 1/2 an hour drive from Port Vila. They'll sort out a driver to take you there and back for a reasonable rate if you want - makes it easy.

The good thing about leaving from Havannah is that it takes less than 1/4 of an hour to steam out to the fishing grounds - great for getting a line wet fast..

The gear on board is top notch and Russ can cater for all requests - we had the heavy game gear out with live baits for sea monsters and switched to light spinning gear against the coast - sight fishing for stroppy reef fish was a blast.

Russ knows how to fish and he knows the waters - you will get an utterly professional approach and he understands how important it is for his clients to catch that trophy fish. I had to talk him down when we missed a decent dogfish, he cares!

The boat is designed to fish. If you want to lounge around on a sofa, this isn't your gig. If you want to quickly and efficiently get to any and all the places where the fish might be, it's perfect.

All in all a great day, I'll be back next year, and one final shoutout for the lunch - best sandwhich I've had for ages, especially given the early start meant I missed breakfast.

2  Thank cliff_bateman
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hi There,I have known Russ and Sam for six years as i always caught up with them on my many visits to Port Vila Vanuatu.Great people.On my last visit I booked 2 days to fish with them out at Havannah harbour.The plan was go catch some live baits (mac tunas)then live bait for Dogtooth tuna,after the tuna go catch a sailfish and a wahoo for the Havannah slam.Lol.
Live baits were caught the doggies smashed the livvies and we hooked one up and landed it,Dont you love it when a plan comes together.Next up the sailfish and wahoo.Off we set towing some baits for the targets,a couple of hours passed with the three of us chewing the fat and were just contemplating going home when mr Sailfish obliged.We were hooked up,nice and tight on a spinning reel,awsome fun and a keeper.So ended day one.
Day two i shared with mutual friends Dick and Binky.Similar plan livies ,doggies ,sails and wahoo.We got the doggies Binky got a monster and Dick a baby,I got a shark .Then for the rest of the plan.Towed a few baits around and got a hit on the spinning rig ,it went oooooof.Was my turn so got on the rod.The fish made 4 great runs before we could get a gaff into it ,A nice Whooo.It was a hoot.So got my Havannah slam.
Great fun ,Great company ,Great gear and the smartest fisherman I have ever met.I will be back fishing with them every visit to Vanuatu

2  Thank Gregory C
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Last year my parnter and I went to Vanuatu to try and catch our first GT's. We went out with Russ Housby from sportfish Vanuatu and both got a GT and a few other species. Awesome day out with a top skipper with heaps of knowledge. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Hoey542
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Sam and Russ made us feel very welcome, nothing was a problem or to much to ask, Russ's fishing abillities are second to none, and if it can be caught, Russ will move heaven and earth to do so for you. I wouldnt hesitate to recomend his business to anyone wanting to explore what Vanuatu has to offer fishing wise.
P.S Cuddles at Havannah harbour is the perfect base for Russ's charters!!!