“Coconut Bobs Hideout”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Vila
The Sportsmens Hotel
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Merimbula
“Coconut Bobs Hideout”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

One of the best value places in Vanuatu, clean,helpful and very friendly. Ran into the owner, Coconut Bob, from Australia with a wealth of information it's part of Emily's cafe which is a 24 hour cafe selling hamburgers ,fish and chips,Vanuatuan steak etc.
The beer's icy cold and there's an interesting cross section of people who stay there.
Which makes it even more interesting
They have an ATM which pays out in Australian dollars which you can trade in which l prefer just so l know where l am.
Highly recommended

Room Tip: I checked out 3 rooms before l chose which one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your great review! It was fun having you stay with us. Having the cafe/bar I'm sure contributed your your enjoyable stay, and the ATM has been very popular.
see you again soon I hope!
'Coconut Bob'

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
brisbane
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Last week I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Sportsman Hotel, it's great value and well run and importantly it's clean. A basic rooms sells for about 30.00 Australian Dollars.
Close by, is "Emily's" Eatery which sells the the best "value meals"Fish,chicken and local steak,along with blackboard specials.These meals have to be the best value in the south pacific and cost about 10.00 Australian dollars.The Hotel is centrally located It's a easy walk down to the town,if your on business.
I recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tomlookgood
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Well your review says it all! Thank you for taking the time to write it for us, it is greatly appreciated as we know how much importance is put on 'value for money' while traveling.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I would suggest to stay here is all you are looking for is somewhere cheap to sleep. I had a very spacious room with an en-suite, double bed, mini fridge and fan (on a stand not a ceiling one).

You are not allowed to bring food into the restaurant down stairs, which I think is reasonable. Emily's cafe is open 24/7 which is really convenient, but not being able to self cater means that the expenses start to pile up.

My room was on the second floor and had quite bad air flow which meant that I was very hot most of the time. This was when I first arrived in Vanuatu, so perhaps I had not adjusted to the temperature properly, but I later stayed in rooms with only fans or no fans at all and I was fine.

I generally had peaceful nights.

The general atmosphere of the hotel was not very social. To escape the heat I would hang out and read downstairs next to the cafe. Both areas had TVs showing Australian News- it just wasn't the atmosphere I was looking for.

The location was pretty good, not too far to walk to the market, but did involve a hill.

I would only suggest staying here if Travellers Budget Motel was full and you didn't want to break the budget.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ginevera
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
I am sorry you had trouble with the heat - this is the tropics after all. The humidity in January & February can be quite high, however, the use of pedestal fans contribute to the 'low budget' prices and do give some relief.
Thank you for your understanding with regard the 'no brought in food', but we do have the cafe which also offers low cost snacks & meals for your convenience.
I thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Herne, Germany
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The rooms are cheap, simple but clean. The staff is friendly but the manager, an Aussie is rude, unfriendly and shouting at everything. He always breaks rule No. 1: Friendlyness towards clients and staff. Breakfast is by far overpriced. I paid 1600 Vatu for 4 Toasts and 2 pots of hot water. My advise: Walk 5 minutes further to the Melanesian Hotel and get a good breakfast buffet for 1400.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank herschmidt5
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
HERSCHMIDT5, here are the facts:

1. The policy in relation to our restaurant and the hotel (which is clearly visible throughout the premises) is that no outside food or beverages may be consumed onsite. The restaurant is provided for your convinience and everything is made available to guests 24x7 at extremely reasonable rates. You, however, chose to break this rule and bring your own condiments and demanded pots of hot water for your tea/coffee and toast for your butter, jam, etc. Although you were reminded/advised by staff of the hotel/restaurant policy, you still insisted on being provided the hot water and toast at which point you were advised, and agreed to, the paying of in full, 2 x pots of tea @ 500vt each and 2 x 2 slice toast with butter and jam @ 300vt each. You were also advised of the other breakfast options available that were much cheaper but you declined.

2. You broke hotel rules when you decided to walk around the hotel in your underwear making other guests and staff extremely uncomfortable. When asked by staff and eventually management to dress appropriately you declined and caused a scene and only finally conceeded when advised that the police would be called in and you would be charged for indecent exposure. It was also later discovered that whilst you were parading around in your underwear, you were making leud remarks to our female staff and trying to solicit them, making them feel extremely uncomfortable to the point of being too scared to work!

HERSCMIDT5, the hotel and restaurant are here for the convinience of our guests and our rules are few but we do expect them to be followed for the comfort of everyone. You will also be hard pressed to find a "friendlier" management/staff team as attested to by our many other reviewers.

Management
The Sportsmens Hotel
Port-Vila, Efate, Vanuatu
Reviewed January 15, 2013

A clean and comfortable hotel that is central to everything. Found the staff to be very accomodating and of friendly disposition. Recommended for a hassle free stay/vacation and especially so for the budget consious. Lots of buses and taxis pass by day and night making transportation a breeze as well and management are always ready to assist in any way they can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bob N, Manager at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
The staff also enjoyed having you stay with us. They are always friendly & happy to help - that's Vanuatu!
Delighted you found the convenience of the non stop, ever passing transport - what a great system, hey?
Thank you so much for your review.
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed January 1, 2013

As a first time visitor to Vanuatu, I don't really have anything to compare to, but I found this hotel to be great, - clean, well serviced and still within my defination of "budget". The manager, Bob is a very friendly person (being Australian) and please disregard the one piece of negative feedback earlier on Trip Advisor, - I think the overwhelming picture is one of a great bloke! Its about a 10-15 minute into the centre of town though the one time I wanted to catch a bus, it was right outside the front of the hotel. I'd recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ian D
Bob N, Owner at The Sportsmens Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Well thanks Ian re: negative response to me! I am glad you saw the 'big picture' and weren't afraid to say so. You cant please all the people all the time, I guess.
I am happy you enjoyed yourself and were pleased with prices for both accommodation and food from the cafe.
Thank again for your review - greatly appreciated!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I moved in Port Vila in mid November.
I had to stay in an hotel at first.

I went to one other place in Port Vila, which was overpriced and dirty.
Then a taxi driver told me about the sportsmens hotel, also known as Emily's cafe.

As compared to any other places, they are way way way cheaper and way way way better.
No question asked.

The place is clean and has different room for all budgets.
The budget room for 2000 VAT is large, has a ceiling fan and you have to share the bathroom, but it's all clean.

The regular rooms,3000 VAT have their en-suite bathroom and a mini fridge.
The top end room, has it's own terrace. Sort of a mini studio at 3500 VAT.

To give you an idea, a crappy room at a hotel located opposite the fresh veg market will set you back 4800 minimum, but it has air con.

No air con at the sportsmens, but you don't need any.

The only downer, was maybe the fact the ceiling is open, so the sound travel from room to room. However it's not bad at all. I could sleep well . However it would be better to close the roof over each rooms.

Another good point about this place is the hotel own's restaurant take/away.

The food there is once again by far much much cheaper than other places in town, and it's really good.
Their burger cost 550 VAT, it comes with bacon and egg, chips, it's massive.
Any other places in Port Vila I have since tried a burger was rubbish as compared to Emily's cafe. They were more than twice the price, with no chips.

They also daily specials at 1000 VAT. Other places will charge you more than twice too.
This includes a big Scotch fillet steak on daily special, also at 1000 VAT. I should need to mention also that the meat used is from a special farm who age their meat proper.

You can't beat that value. I always go back there for food when I can. My mates also go there after clubbing as it's the only place open 24/7.

The location is good, in Upper town, quite and safe, not far from leader price and le bon marcher Number 2.

So if you are coming to Port Vila, No point looking else where. If you do not want to get ripped off, just come to the sportsmens hotel. No need to add anything more.

Just come by and chances BOB or Emily will be at the Bar ready to welcome you.

Room Tip: Take the one with the terrace if available.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo