We stayed in room 3 at Vila Chaumieres on 8th and 9th August 2010 on a stop over to Santo. We transferred to Vila Chaumieres from the airport using the pre-booked Melanesian Travel transfer service at the airport which cost 2,200 vatu (AUD30) each way for 2 people.
The cost for our two nights accommodation was 27,000 vatu (AUD340). The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and contained the basic essentials such as mosquito net, kettle, hairdryer, sofa, iron, ironing board, umbrella, small bar fridge and wall mounted air conditioner. The bed was large but too hard for me. It was quiet at night however apart from the roosters at 5am and the occasional barking dog which is unavoidable when you holiday in islands such as Vanuatu.
Vila Chaumieres is a relatively easy 40 minute walk into Port Vila. If you’re not up for the walk it takes 10 minutes on the very frequent public mini buses that pass by the front. Bus is a flat rate of 150 vatu (AUD1.90) per person each way.
The food at Vila Chaumieres is the highlight. Mains cost around AUD50 so it is not cheap however it is fantastic quality and therefore value in my opinion. The beef wellington, coconut prawns and the vanilla ice cream with warm banana, Grand Marnier and almonds were the stand out dishes for us. There is a limited range of wines and beers however the Jacobs Creek rose was nice as is the local beer (Tusker). VB and Steinlager were also available at around AUD9. By island standards the service in the restaurant is very quick.
If you are after somewhere reasonably priced for lunch with a good choice consider The Port opposite the Grand Hotel & Casino in Vila itself. The Thai fish burger was delicious and the pizzas are also good value too.
Whilst we were there we hired a 2-seater beach buggy from All Road Adventures for 8,500 vatu (AUD100) which included a 3 ½ hour guided tour around the island, a BBQ lunch and snorkelling. The company is operated by an Australian couple and we both had a great time despite the torrential rain at times. If it’s raining be prepared to get very wet and dirty. Helmets are provided and are mandatory.
I urge travellers intending to holiday on islands such as Vanuatu to remember that top end accommodation here is not the same as top end accommodation in Australia, NZ, USA or Europe. Don’t expect too much and remember that time isn’t always important to the locals!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vila Chaumieres is a child-free Resort set in a lovely tropical garden on the banks of Erakor Lagoon. Renowned for its excellent restaurant, and situated just 4 km from the centre of Port Vila, it offers a peaceful retreat to the discerning traveller seeking an alternative to the large tourist resort, but still within easy reach of all facilities and holiday amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Vila Chaumieres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Chaumieres Hotel Port Vila
- Vila Chaumieres Port
- Vila Chaumieres Vanuatu/Port Vila