“A home away from home”

Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Paris
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed at Vila Chaumieres for 1 night initially and liked the place so much that we decided to stay another 2 nights. Directly located on the lagoon, the place is absolutely lovely; the restaurant is by the water and at night, it is very romantic by the natural aquarium in the lagoon. This accomodation is a little treasure among the not so lovely Port Vila. The bedrooms are very spacious and quite. There are also canoes to use (free of charge) on the lagoon.
Tracy is a delightful host ; she is extremely helpful and goes beyond any limits to help you. We ended up stuck on Epi island for one night and Tracy offered to go to the airport for us and try to sort out our international flights the next night. It was like having a mother taking care of us away from home !
Highly recommended !

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Vila Chaumieres over the December break and had a wonderful time. The Coconut Crab we had at the restaurant was the highlight of all of the food we had in Vanuatu.
We flew in really late on the 26th of December, but were still warmly greeted by Tracy our hostess. She was great in terms of providing us advice on what to do and how to get there ... we also tried a bit of kayaking on the lagoon ... in was fun and Tracy made sure we were safe as possible by sending the gardener out to watch out for us when we were in the water as it was my first tiem kayaking.
All in all we loved staying here and would defn recommend it to our friends:)!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

"We welcome youuuu to Vana-aaaa-tuuuuuu!" I was singing this throughout my two week glorious stay at Vila Chaumieres. It doesn't have all the mod-cons, but it made up for good ol' fashion customer service and relaxation stays.

The food was brilliant, my vila was outstanding (I miss #3 *sad face*), but most of all Tracy (the manager), Blandine and Samson (the chefs), Leslie, Naomi, Mikale, Giovanni, Jolita, Mina, Gille, Jack and two wonderful friends Katerina (Tongonga) and Elise were what made my stay from ordinary to simply brilliant. I miss you all - SEVERELY!!!

I went on four tours all of which were recommended by Tracy. Memo to you all out there: never question the wisdom of this woman. She is an amazing resource and allowed a single travelling woman like me feel safe and secure during all the tours and outside personal excursions. If ever there was someone you wanted cloned across the hospitality industry; it's definitely Tracy!

The food was DELICIOUS! Highly recommend the Beef Bouchette! (In fact that's all I ate when I ate at the restaurant *tee hee* - Mikale tried to get me to try other things, I did eventually, I just swapped desserts *happy face*!). I enjoyed going to the markets and other eateries around Port Vila itself especially Chilli above the markets.

I have lots more to say, but it defeats the purpose of people finding out about these places - the hidden gems of the South Pacific. And believe me, please come stay here! You will NOT regret it!!!

P.S. Please get to know the staff. They are all sorts of wonderful in their own right. It made my stay in Vanuatu easier and more enjoyable finding out about their customs, stories and values of such a diverse, peaceful and joyous (voted Happiest Country in the World 2006) nation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Ezrina
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

I usually get a bit suspicious when a place gets glowing reviews. Nevertheless, given that some of the inner city hotels in Port Vila are completely overpriced for what they are, I thought I might as well give the Villa Chaumieres a go. And lucky I did!

My initial worry - the fact the hotel is a bit out of town - did not really matter at all - there are cheap buses avery couple of minutes along the road - and they take you wherever you want to go.

The Villa Chaumieres is neither brand new nor a shiny luxury hotel, but it has got all you need for a unforgettable relaxing stay. The rooms are clean, and the fact there is neither television nor wi-fi internet makes your stay even more peaceful. The aircon was a bit rattly, so I just turned it off and opened the balcony door instead - no problems with mosquitoes as there is a mosquito net over the comfy bed. :-)

The lagoon is right in front of the hotel, with a tiny beach (kajaks available). The water is beautiful and calm - perfect for a swim! The restaurant is beautifully located, built into the lagoon, so you tend to look at the thousands of fish instead of your food which is excellent. And the tropical breakfast right at the lagoon is a perfect start into the day.

But what makes this place really special are the lovely staff. In particular Tracy, the owner. She has been the most welcoming and helpful host I have ever had in a hotel. She was most helpful with advice and did everything to accommodate my wishes. Tracy really makes you feel like you are staying with friends.

I can highly recommend this place to anyone who prefers personal service and South Pacific atmosphere to a good but standard hotel that could be anywhere in the world (such as the Grand Hotel). Loved it and will return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank kopatz
Amsterdam, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

First night, we stayed in one of the rooms above the main reception. It was adequate, though nothing special. The safe didn't work. It did have a nice balcony, that looked out over the lagoon. Second night, we stayed in one of the garden bungalows. The door wouldn't close properly: the owner's sister's father fixed it eventually. This place is fine, nice even for Vila, but trading on its restaurant and location by the lagoon. It is expensive too, for what it is. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Meh.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Guernsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

This was our first stop on a three month tour of the South Pacific - we could quite happily have stayed for the whole three months! We had as lagoon view room and what a view...
On top of this the food was excellent, the restaurant location is just about perfect and the staff were charming ,. Access to Port Vila was easy, and anything we wanted to do was arranged without fuss or bother.(especially recommend Ecotours with Patrique & George for real Vanduatu experience...)
Tracy is a gem, and has really got what it takes to deliver a stay you will never forget.. The room is a good four star standard -this from someone who works as a hotel grading inspector in the UK - if we come back to Vanuatu we would definitely want to stay here again, and strongly recommend this accommodation to anyone thinking of visiting Port Vila - Vanuatu was an interesting and enjoyable destination, but Vial Chaumiere was what made it really special for us - Thanks Tracy and all your staff for a fantastic experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
nsw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

Well what can I say that has not already been said. Stayed here for 3 nights after reading the reviews, especially the food reviews. It's always difficult going into a place with expectations however in this case we were not disappointed, especially on the food front. It was sublime. Whilst a little more expensive than most places it was a thousand times better than most places. Believe you me we tried others. The other highlight of our stay would definately have to be the owner Tracy. She is the best Vanuatu travel ambassador I have ever encountered. She drove us to places, made late bookings and was generally the hostess with the mostest. Nothing was too much trouble. When voicing frustrations with certain things she gave us a different perspective based on her many years in the country. She has also assembled a fantastic team. They were all delightful. They say Vanuatu is the happiest place on earth well her staff really looked happy and so were we.
I overheard others at breakfast complaining about Vila Chaumieres for its lack of facilities. If you are looking for swimming pools, multiple bars or TV's you are in the wrong place. Mind you I would argue if you are looking for those things you are in the wrong country. Vanuatu is a culturally rich and vibrant place full of ancient tribal practices. If you are not prepared to at least try and experience these things you may as well go to the Gold Coast. We found the whole thing charming and whilst Vila Chaumieres does not have all that bling of other resorts what it does have is soul and even better no kiddie winks. Pools are good but try fighting with a family for the banana lounge. No thanks.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple