I was so glad that I relied on Tripadvisor reviews for my hotel selection. There is so much choice on Efate and such a range of prices-when I saw Vila Chaumieres had 100% recommendation from reviewers and at a VERY reasonable price, I thought I must be dreaming. But, I took the chance and booked us in for 7 nights in a Garden Bunglaow-absolutely no regrets! From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome and that nothing was going to be too much trouble for Tracey and her staff. She sat down with us and went through options for tours, with personal recommendations to suit our interests. She then booked the tours, arranged pick-ups from the front gate and billed the cost to our room-this turned out to be a bonus when we found out that it is not uncommon to be charged 3.5%+ for Credit Card purchases in Port Vila. Tracey was more than happy to accept our credit card with no surcharge. When we experienced a problem with one of our 'adventures' Tracey contacted the operator and we got a full refund-first class service!
Our Garden Bunglaow was spacious, clean and comfortable. The airconditioning and ceiling fan were an absolute boon. We experienced our first-ever earth tremor on our first night-sounded like some wild animal was rattling at our door, but Tracey explained the real reason next day. Breakfast of fresh fruit, croissants, bread and coffee was lovely-difficult to tear ourselves away from watching the fish and the crabs in the lagoon while we ate. We had dinner at the restaurant on several occasions, including an amazing seafood plate. We felt quite privileged to be staying there when we saw so many diners coming in from accommodation elsewhere.
Trips into town were simple-just flag down a bus by the roadside, state your destination and pay on arrival. Fixed price of 150 vatu(A$2) pp for trips up to 8 kms-but no guarantee that you will follow the most direct route to your destination as all passengers get dropped to their doors, which on one occasion involved a lovely detour through the outskirts of Port Vila seeing places we would never have seen on a tour.
It was lovely to take a pedalo out on the lagoon and watch the locals spear fishing and the kids playing. The staff are so friendly and contribute to the relaxed atmosphere. Tracey does a wonderful job and was always willing to help us with any queries-and always with a smile on her face. We felt like we were saying good-bye to an old friend at the end of our stay.
If you are looking for a flash resort, with multiple swimming pools and bars then Vila Chaumieres is not for you.
If you are looking for a quiet location, good standard accommodation, good food, friendly staff and great customer service at excellent value-then this is for you. No children under 16 was a real bonus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vila Chaumieres is a child-free Resort set in a lovely tropical garden on the banks of Erakor Lagoon. Renowned for its excellent restaurant, and situated just 4 km from the centre of Port Vila, it offers a peaceful retreat to the discerning traveller seeking an alternative to the large tourist resort, but still within easy reach of all facilities and holiday amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Vila Chaumieres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Chaumieres Hotel Port Vila
- Vila Chaumieres Port
- Vila Chaumieres Vanuatu/Port Vila