“Perfect place for a quiet, relaxing holiday-excellent service & value for money”
Review of Vila Chaumieres

Vila Chaumieres
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I was so glad that I relied on Tripadvisor reviews for my hotel selection. There is so much choice on Efate and such a range of prices-when I saw Vila Chaumieres had 100% recommendation from reviewers and at a VERY reasonable price, I thought I must be dreaming. But, I took the chance and booked us in for 7 nights in a Garden Bunglaow-absolutely no regrets! From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome and that nothing was going to be too much trouble for Tracey and her staff. She sat down with us and went through options for tours, with personal recommendations to suit our interests. She then booked the tours, arranged pick-ups from the front gate and billed the cost to our room-this turned out to be a bonus when we found out that it is not uncommon to be charged 3.5%+ for Credit Card purchases in Port Vila. Tracey was more than happy to accept our credit card with no surcharge. When we experienced a problem with one of our 'adventures' Tracey contacted the operator and we got a full refund-first class service!
Our Garden Bunglaow was spacious, clean and comfortable. The airconditioning and ceiling fan were an absolute boon. We experienced our first-ever earth tremor on our first night-sounded like some wild animal was rattling at our door, but Tracey explained the real reason next day. Breakfast of fresh fruit, croissants, bread and coffee was lovely-difficult to tear ourselves away from watching the fish and the crabs in the lagoon while we ate. We had dinner at the restaurant on several occasions, including an amazing seafood plate. We felt quite privileged to be staying there when we saw so many diners coming in from accommodation elsewhere.
Trips into town were simple-just flag down a bus by the roadside, state your destination and pay on arrival. Fixed price of 150 vatu(A$2) pp for trips up to 8 kms-but no guarantee that you will follow the most direct route to your destination as all passengers get dropped to their doors, which on one occasion involved a lovely detour through the outskirts of Port Vila seeing places we would never have seen on a tour.
It was lovely to take a pedalo out on the lagoon and watch the locals spear fishing and the kids playing. The staff are so friendly and contribute to the relaxed atmosphere. Tracey does a wonderful job and was always willing to help us with any queries-and always with a smile on her face. We felt like we were saying good-bye to an old friend at the end of our stay.
If you are looking for a flash resort, with multiple swimming pools and bars then Vila Chaumieres is not for you.
If you are looking for a quiet location, good standard accommodation, good food, friendly staff and great customer service at excellent value-then this is for you. No children under 16 was a real bonus.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at a few resorts whilst holidaying in Vanuatu but nothing could match the hospitality, food and the overall general welcoming feel that we received at Vila Chaumieres. Tracy, the manager was a great host, only able to commend her on how she looked us – Tracy don’t change!!!
We loved the food – other resorts could just not compare – but we could...and I guess we did and Vila Chaumieres came out top EVERY TIME! The food was divine - has reasonable is price - actually it was great!
It was lovely to be greeted in the morning by the lovely girls, they are so professional yet friendly and knew what they were doing! I loved them and I had a tear in my eye when I was saying good bye one of the girls (Elise) gave me a hug and I didn’t want to leave!!! I cant say enough how perfect Tracys girls were - they are the best! I really did enjoy being with them. The gardens at Vila Chaumieres were immaculate, the gardener Jack should be so proud of his garden! Very serene, peaceful little spots where you can just be peaceful and reflect on your days/holiday - awesome. And Jack picks the best coconuts-straight from the tree - he slices the top off and away you go - drinking thebest ever coconut milk and the fresh flesh - omg! I totaly recommend the stay just for Jacks coconuts – mmm bliss!
Cost – Fantastic – could not complain about the overall cost!
We loved every minute staying at Vila Chaumieres, it was close enough to town that it wasn’t a hassle – the buses were an experience! We had such a great time with lovely memories made.
YOU MUST STAY AT THE VILA CHAUMIERES!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This place is a little oasis. The peace and tranquilty is perfect for relaxing. And it's only a short bus ride into town. The owner Tracey is the perfect host. Nothing is too much trouble. I would recommend this place to anyone in search of a peaceful holiday. In the words of the great Darryl Kerrigan "ah the serenity"

Reviewed April 4, 2010

Overall Villa chaumiere is a good place to stay but probably not the best place to stay in Port Vila.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My new husband and I spent 12 days at Vila Chaumieres and we could have easily spent another 12!! Tracy, the Manager, makes you feel like one of the family from the moment you step foot on the property. The bungalows are perfect for a honeymoon or a holiday where you need/want to unwind and get away from it all but at the same time feel pampered with breakfast on the lagoon or meals brought to your room. The domestic staff (hate the term but describes the job I suppose) are absolutely wonderful......warm, welcoming and very humble people. My husband and I got the dreaded "Vanuatu Belly" from eating lap-lap from a Kava Hut - apparently a no-no........Tracy did try to warn us but we got overtaken by th spirit of the evening........but the staff were nothing but helpful during our sick days. Tracy and the staff went out of there way to bring us food and things from nature to try and help our bellies; take us to the Chemist; calling the Doctor, etc......things that are important especially when you are unwell so far from home.

We hope to get back to Vanuatu and Vila Chaumieres one day and highly recommend this venue for anyone after a true holiday.

Ravi & Cheryl

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RavnChez
Reviewed February 5, 2010

It's a beautiful escape from the daily grind. The lagoon view room is stunning and the garden view bungalows are equally serene! It was the most relaxing moments and overseas(trip) stay in 6 years! You could enjoy a swim, paddle the boat down or kayak in the lagoon or simply enjoy the serene environment with a good book on the balcony of your room! It is 5 mins drive from the main city and the trip will cost you $2. The staff is very humble and hospitable and the manager, Tracy isan amazing person and remembers you personally! YOU WOULD BE A FOOL TO MISS THE DINNER ON THE LAGOON RESTAURANT. THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS AND THE AMBIENCE IS STRIKINGLY BEAUTIFUL IN THE EVENINGS!

Ranganath and Sonya

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We just returned from a 5 night stay at Vila Chaumieres. What an absolutely beautiful place to relax & unwind. We stayed in a lagoon view room (one of two) and it was just perfect. It's a little out of the main strip but so easy to get into town, just jump on a 'bus' for 2 bucks (150 vatu) and within 5 minutes you are there. The resort is small so most of the time you feel like the staff are there just for you. We received a free fruit & croissant breakfast every morning: fresh fruit from the local markets and warm bread & croissants with butter, yummy! Our beds were made with fresh linen every morning and the air con in the room made sleeping in the heat so much easier!
You can swim and snorkel in the lagoon there, the local kids spend most days playing in the water all up the river. You can take the resorts kayaks out and go for a wander, you won't be short of any 'halo!'s or smiles as you paddle up or down to either of the two lagoons.
The staff were incredible, nothing was a hassle, and if we needed anything, they went out of their way to help.
You HAVE to eat at the restaurant there, excellent food cooked by their loyal chef of 20 years! The seafood pasta was my absolute favourite, i had it 3 times!!
All up, a wonderful holiday in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple