“Charming and lovely, but not for light sleepers”
Review of Vila Chaumieres

Vila Chaumieres
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
“Charming and lovely, but not for light sleepers”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

What a gem of a place. Nice cute little garden set bungalows, which are actually quite spacious inside. Some upstairs apartments too I believe. I stayed in one of the bungalows - room 3 - and was so impressed with the warm inviting welcome Richard gave me, fresh off the plane, with good advice on how to get there by taking a local bus from town.

I paid $150 AUD / 135,000 Vt for a night's accommodation.

Value for money in Port Vila, most definitely. I was presented with a fruit platter and lime juice in my private bar fridge on arrival, which felt welcoming and personal. I was told that a tropical breakfast was included with my night's stay, and that I could check out as late as I wanted, because that room wasn't booked the next day.

The restaurant was fabulous! I feel like I should make that a topic of a separate review, but this has to be mentioned here. Don't bother going out to eat - this is where people from lesser hotels travel to for dinner! Wonderful lagoon setting too.

Lovely gardens and everything has a high quality feel and personal touch. I absolutely loved it. I would have stayed another night or two but for Old Macdonald's Farm next door :,(

Neighbour's barking dogs and crowing roosters woke me countless times in the night, and this was quite stressful considering I was so terribly and painfully underslept already. One of the dogs sounded like it was right outside my window so felt like it was in the room with me.

For anybody who hates dogs, or worse, any sort of noise when they are sleeping, the first thing I thought, when I woke up in the morning was "I have to get out of here", which is just such a shame considering what a lovely little place it is, and it's not the owners' fault. Unfortunately you just can't pick your neighbours... Or their unfortunate pets.

I'm not sure if every room is like this, but I did overhear some other guests at the restaurant mention "dogs and roosters".

I'm very grateful to the hosts at this charming little place. They set a standard all other hotels should follow :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SpineCorp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our stay at Vila Chaumieres was just great - we planned to relax (and did) but also had heaps of fun exploring Port Vila and surroundings using Vila Chaumieres as a base. Richard and Ursula quickly understood the types of things we liked to do and provided good advice and help. We stayed in both the garden room and lagoon room over two visits - both were lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed at Vila Chaumiers a few weeks back for a total of 7 nights and was not disappointed with what I had heard about/read in other reviews prior to booking my stay. There were 4 of us and we stayed in 2 bungalows at the resort. The place only has 5 rooms for 10 people I think, but this did not effect our stay at all.

It was a small resort, but this made things much better in terms of the atmosphere, getting to know the staff, some of the locals; all of whom we found very friendly and helpful.

The location was great as we had a 15 minute taxi from the airport for the equivalent of 5 dollars each. Getting to and from town was even less at about 10 minutes and the resort seemed to know enough people through their staff to find a ride in a matter of minutes.

Food was fantastic, fresh and I highly recommend the Fishermans Feast. Its main feature is the Coconut Crab which as far as I know only comes from Vanuatu, so definitely worth sharing for a couple as it was a huge portion for even two people.

Organising tours was easy as well. Many of our trips came from friends of the resort and this made our trip much easier to plan and we would recommend any and all of them. The bushwalk being the highlight.

All around a great place to stay. Very clean, helpful and friendly staff and if ever I head back to Vanuatu definitely a sure stop again.

Room Tip: 3 bungalows good for 3-4 people and 2 rooms with balconies overlooking the lagoon with porches for a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thom I
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were enjoying our stay in Pt Vila and in the lovely garden room at Vila Chaumieres when my wife had the misfortune to slip while walking in town and to break her arm. Medical advice was to get back to Oz asap as the arm needed to be pinned. Richard and Ursula could not have been more helpful in assisting with the arrangements, and made the whole process much easier, facilitating phone calls and keeping us up to date with emails etc. When a last minute opportunity came up for an early flight back to Adelaide, Richard kindly drove us to the airport himself to ensure we caught the plane. Many thanks!

A&G

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AandGfromAdelaide
North Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed in a room with a delightful balcony overlooking the lagoon. We went for complete rest and relaxation so armed with a few books we were more than happy to sit and look out at the water. Threre was always something to watch - either the small children over the other side, canoes and kayaks travelling up and down. The fact that it rained most of the time we were thre did not detract from the enjoyment.The resort is a tad rustic and wouldn't suit everyone. No t.v. but we did have a couple of resident gecko's that were probably more interesting anyway.
A small charming restaurant right on the edge of the lagoon was good for a couple of dinners.
The owners and staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Choose room 5 with the beautiful view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Toone463
UK
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent three nights at Vila Chaumieres and loved it. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a great view from the enormous balcony over the water. The owners and staff were charming and warm yet highly professional.

The restaurant is very good with a varied menu, good wine list and great service. The seafood platter is particularly good and, although meant for one, presented two of us with a delicious challenge.

The hotel is a little outside the town but you can just flag down one of the many, frequent buses and be in the town centre in about ten minutes.

The hotel and restaurant are highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank locomota
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I needed to get away from a year of hard work - what a great location away from Port Vila nestled on the water very peaceful and tranquil. A small resort with the best restaurant food to die for. Ursula and Richard always willing to help and organise anything you need. They organised a van (bus) and driver for the 2 of us to drive around the Efate island stopping at the hot spots or where we wanted to stop

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple