This was our fourth trip to Hideaway and it wont be our last.
In March 2010 I took a group of 20 people on a dive holiday based at Hideaway Island. From the time we arrived until the time we left we were looked after very well by everyone on the island. This isn’t a 5 star resort but that wasn’t what we wanted. The accommodation starts with dorm rooms with shared bathrooms through twin share/double rooms with shared bathrooms up to some very nice bungalows and a luxury 2 bedroom villa. There were a few changes since our last visit. The dive operation has been taken over by Woody who has made some operational changes without loosing any of the fun. The beach looks a whole lot better with some nice gardens and the whole island seems a bit more professional than last year. The food was very nice as usual (I put on 5kg again) and the kitchen and bar staff did a great job keeping us fed and watered. The office staff were always helpful as were the activities staff. Housekeeping and maintenance staff were always friendly and did their jobs without disturbing us.
We had a few off island activities. We went to the Cascade Falls, Port Vila, the Saloon Bar and a couple of bus rides around Efate.
Some special mentions; Stella is the person to see if you want to know anything or arrange anything. She can answer questions about the island, village, town and country and organise any tour as long as she has a little notice. She is trying to train others to do her job but that will take a lot of training.
All of the dive crew were great and it’s hard to single any one person out. Joka is fairly quiet but can find anything you are looking for. Kolen was the first to greet us and the last one waving goodbye and made sure we were enjoying ourselves the whole time we were there. Kevin was our entertainment for the trip and made it his job to make sure we were smiling. Madi was great to dive with and always talked to us on his way past. Nikki is Kevins’ apprentice and kept us smiling. Thomas didn’t dive with us (he had some students) but still found time to come and say hi. Brian was the new boy who just learnt to dive and was always interested in where we came from and what our diving was like.
Woody, the dive manager, has done a great job lifting the diving standards and kept checking on us to make sure things were going well.
Bruce, the resident owner, was always walking around and checking on us, always stopping to talk on his way past and made us feel very welcome.
The best things I can say is that 20 people had a great time and we will be bringing another group next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hideaway Island Resort is located on the private island with a protected Marine Sanctuary with a full service 5 Star Padi Dive Shop. House guests enjoy free use of snorkel gear, kayaks, stand up paddle boards, net ball, beach movies, and can take Glass Bottom Boat and Snorkel Safari Tours for free. Beach Restaurant and Bar. Continental breakfast included. Free Wi-fi for all guests in lounge. Accommodations include self contained Vilas, Bungalows, Beach Lodge and Dorm rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hideaway Island Hotel Port Vila
- Hideaway Island Port Vila
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary Vanuatu/Port Vila