We booked 5 nights at Erakor and arrived on a Friday afternoon. Unfortunately the weather during our stay was not very good. The room was Superior Waterfront Spa Villa. No 10. The villa interior was itself very nice, and the daily cleaning service excellent. However not a lot of room to enjoy the place in wet weather (separate bedroom would be ideal) The 'SPA' was just a spa bath on the front deck. It was a few steps down to the water, but a lot of coral on the beach so you had to wear reef shoes etc to get down. Quite a dark villa and deck due to the growth of the trees, and not overly private due to nearby villas. The better villas for privacy would be the three or so up the far end of the island - away from everything.
So the room itself was quite good and the daily maid friendly and very efficient. The rest of stay was less than ideal:
- Weddings/ parties, There were weddings scheduled throughout our stay. Also a large kids party. They take up the whole main beach area and is not a very nice feeling being on the side of someone elses party. We couldn't sleep the frist night due to partying going on in the big 'dorm' room located nearby. until 3/4 in the morning. And people talking loud right outside our unit. We had the same experience 2 nights out of 3.
- Food - the restaurant is very expensive for fairly average food. The staff not very helpful, some are friendly some are rude. Breakfast was basic. One guy made omelettes (he didn't look too happy about it). You had to wait about 15min for your omelette if there at the normal time. Lunch menu was OK. One evening I had a nice chicken curry. However on our third night we asked for the 'special' seafood pasta with tuna. It was written on the board - had been for a few days. When the food arrived the pasta tasted fine but the Tuna they served was flat out ROTTEN. Not just a bit whiffy but seriously past it. We asked the waiter to check with the kitchen. They of course provided us with another meal (fine) but I had asked for some feedback from the chef which was not forthcoming.
- Spa service - we avoided it. It looked horrible as per other reviews.
- General service - some staff were quite friendly, others lazy and rude.
- Walk around island was pleasant - but there is a ton of litter at the northern end of the island, just gross - they should clean it up.
-Activities. Didn't really seem to happen (eg Kava experience Friday night did not happen). Kayaks etc are ok, not high quality. Oh they did have a Melanesian Feast one night in the main are, but this was for guests from another resort ONLY, go figure?
- No pool which is a shame if you don't fancy the current/coral factor off the beach. Understandable though as it is quite small.
-More weddings scheduled - this was when we decided to bite the bullet and 'Escape from Erakor' After 3 nights, and with 2 remaining we decided to leave and try and find somewhere nicer. Giving up around AU$700 in pre-paid accommodation.
We went to Eratap. My God what a different experience. Absolutely perfect and worth every penny at the higher price point. We had 2 nights there (they were full from that point), then rented a car and a house in Mele Bay for a week (recommended).
So overall - avoid Erakor due to them trying to cram in weddings as well as regular guests. Also poor staff service, food and overall delivery.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila