“Great Resort, made for a great holiday”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed June 20, 2007

Le Lagon Great place to stay. Made for a fantastic holiday.

I travelled to Vanuatu with my husband and three children and my husbands parents. We stayed from the 11th to the 18th of June. I must say that we were blessed with the best weather.
We stayed at Le Lagon. We both had Lagoon View rooms. Room numbers 115 & 121, with my eldest child bunking in with his grandparents. Both of these room were great, located at the Erakor Island wharf end of the resort. The rooms were spacious enough and were very clean. Each room had a safe in it, so there is no excuse to have any valuables taken.
The new pool is finished and is big and it looks great with two swim up bars. Yes they are still working on the older pool and two spa's. This does not cause any problems as the new pool is more than big enough for all the guests. The workers didn't bother us at all.
The whole resort looks great.
My children are aged 9,7 & 5 and they all loved kids club, even if it was just to relax and watch a movie at the end of an active day of touring around.
The breakfasts were great, all be it, we ate to much. Lunch we had a choice of the buffet or pool side grill. Some said the Buffet was a bit repetative, but hey I'm not complaining I didn't have to cook or wash up. Dinner meals at the resort were either in the Lagoon Terrace Restaurant or the Wild Ginger restaurant. We found both retuarants ok. They are not cheap but there not overly expensive either, about the same as you would pay back home. For example the Friday Night Seafood buffet was 4500 vatu. Which I guess is about $50 Australian, for as much fresh King Prawns, oysters,mussels,calamari etc.
We found the staff to be very pleaseant and helpful. In fact I wanted to hide the room maid in our luggage and bring her home.
Whilst in Vila, we went to Hideaway Island, Mele Cascade Waterfalls, Bluewater Island. Hideaway and the Waterfalls are a must. Bluewater was good, but I would suggest that if you go, just take a bus yourself and pay the entry fee. I would also suggest that you take your snorkeling gear to bluewater as you might be waiting around for a while. Snorkelling near the old aquarium was good and really safe for the kids.
Also we snorkeled alot out the front of Erakor Island and across the lagoon, back to Le Lagon. Great anenomies and coral, you can even have a look at the locals fish traps in the middle of the lagoon.
The only thing I regret about our holiday is that we only stayed for 7 nights and not for at least 10 nights or longer.
You do have to remember that not just Le Lagon, but everywhere in Vanuatu runs on Island Time. So just relax and go with the flow.
PS We booked our holiday with Hideaway Holidays on the internet, they also were great, no fuss.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
14  Thank Kehani H

Reviewed June 14, 2007

Le Lagon is set in an idillic location. great gardens, golf course, cristal clear waters surrounding it.
They supply a great array of entertainment including many types of water activities. (try the catamarans)
Staff were friendly and did everything at their own pace, but then again we werent in a rush....
all in all facilities were great. The place has a good relaxing atmosphere. I would have thought after all the reviews from last year the pool would have been finished, but they still seem to be drilling away endlessly. In the week + we were there not much progress at all had ocurred. The cascade pool however was completed, and very pleasant, with access to the bar making it a great chillout experience. As much as I enjoy the island music i wish they had a more ample selection of it. We spent a couple of hours maximum in one day in the pool area and seemed to have the same tracks ENGRAVED in our heads as they were played repeatedly.
Food was very disapointing for me.
Breakfast was good, but a bit repetitive. I expect that a resort such as this will offer different things from day to day. (then again I might be a fussy person)
Lunches offer lots of burgers and chips but not a great deal more, and for up to around AU$20 for these I wasn't very impresssed. buffet dinners are very dissaponting. we paid around AU$70per person for a seafood buffet which was less than acceptable. even the simple stuff like rissotto was very plain tasting and hard. BIG Ripp off-

Ginger restaurant offered a great atmosphere, and has been beautifully decorated and designed. Food is good, but is very limited. We ordered two dishes which are from different parts of the world, but amazingly tasted very simmilar. Personally I would have really liked it to offer maybe some french influenced cuisine, as well as the many asian dishes they offer. the food was nice but not fantastic.

Fair enough that resources in the island are limited, but I think that with resoursfullness, much more could be done. Why not use plantains or manioca or any other of the local produce, even if its only as garnishes for the dishes..

After three nights of having dinners "in-house' we were pleasantly surprised to find superb restaurants in town which offered much better value and great food
DRINKS are very dear I thought. we had non alcoholic "strawberry" slushies at the pool for around au $8.50
For that price I would expect it to be made with real strawberries, rather than anilyn. beers and softdrinks werent much cheaper. If you plan to drink big, then the all inclusive package will suit you well.

Overall the resort I think is beautifull, and has the potential to be perfect, but unfortunately for me great food is part of a great holiday experience, and I didn't quite get there.

However We had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ireallywantaholiday
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Apologies for the length of this review – but I had so many questions when planning my wedding at Le Lagon and I hope this will help a future bride.

Manu was our wedding coordinator and had been quite difficult to deal with over email – slow to reply, not answering questions, calling me by completely the wrong name etc. However, I still thought that I pretty much had everything under control – a sunset wedding at 5pm, location to be decided, followed by a reception on the beach with entertainment system, simple buffet menu selected, wedding cake, alcohol selected and to be charged on consumption, etc etc.

In person, Manu was great to deal with, although he had agreed to a meeting on our arrival and didn’t actually come to work until Monday which was frustrating. However, when we finally got to him, he had all the time in the world for us and we carefully went through all the details. We chose the 12th tee on the golf course, overlooking the entire resort and out to the ocean, for the ceremony and discussed the set up details, positioning of the area and the need for a few chairs for the sick and elderly of our group (we’d all had food poisoning) and for a golf buggy to take these guests up the hill to the ceremony location.

However – things didn’t go quite according to plan.

Manu arranged for the florist to come and meet with me at the resort. Annie was lovely and we agreed to creamy flowers to work with my gold dress. The flowers arrived on the day and I was really disappointed – as she had had trouble finding creamy coloured flowers she had used some browny-orange colours and some stuff that looked dried. It wasn’t her fault, she did her best, but if I could do it again, I’d tell her to use the amazing pinks and reds of the tropical flowers we saw at the market and wouldn’t worry about whether it matched perfectly or not. My bouquet just didn’t look lush and tropical as I had hoped.

The buggies to transport our guests weren’t booked as discussed and apparently there was a major drama trying to find one to get our guests up the hill.

The ceremony was scheduled for 5pm, to catch the sunset, (which did not set on the beach as Manu had told us – luckily we had had time to check this out and realize the photo opportunities weren’t going to be what we thought) and at just after the hour a golf buggy bedecked in flowers arrived to pick me, Liz, my sister and bridesmaid, and my father up. A crowd had gathered outside our room, which I guess was a result of the buggy driving through the resort gathering up people like a piped piper, or despite my best efforts, the resort had told people where to find me. They publish details of each wedding at the resort in the daily newsletter – the toktok – e.g. Wedding at 3pm, meet at the pool. I had asked that this did not happen for my wedding and thankfully the details did not appear. I wasn’t too worried about this crowd though, as they were shouting lots of compliments at me!

We had arranged for the golf buggy to deliver Liz, Dad and myself to the 12th tee, which was a bit of a hike uphill. However, the warrior driving the buggy refused to take anyone but me with him. A bit of a debate ensued, with plea bargaining – take them and come back for the bride, or we’ll all squish on – but he wouldn’t have a bar of it and basically said as his manager wasn’t there he wasn’t going to do anything except what he had been told to do. Eventually we gave up (bearing in mind we had a bit of an audience going on!) and Dad and Liz set off on foot, while I attempted to balance in the golf buggy.

At the top of the hill Liz was puffing crazily and Manu was fretting – we were now behind schedule. The warrior/driver turned to me and said, “the two tribes are going to have a battle, don’t be alarmed. When I ask you, you need to say ‘Yes, Me Likem’, okay?” WHAT? This was a surprise – the wedding party had had a rehearsal the day before and we all knew what we were supposed to be doing, and this hadn’t featured. Manu certainly hadn’t mentioned this in our meeting.

Liz walked out around the corner into the crowd and Dad and I followed. The first thing I noticed was a large marquee and heaps of chairs. The guests were all standing quite close to where we were entering – not part of the plan at all and it took away from our ‘grand entrance’. Matt (the groom) was surrounded by warriors who immediately started a fierce debate with ‘my’ warriors. I collapsed into giggles realizing that no matter what kind of wedding I thought I had arranged, I was getting the ‘Le Lagon Special’ and I may as well accept it and enjoy myself! The warriors went on to agree that Matt and I should get married, provided that he could climb a coconut tree and I could cook. Matt agreed that he ‘likem’ me, and I returned the favour but stating that I ‘likem’ him too. Eventually we made it to the Lord Mayor who began the service in a dreary, monotonous tone – you’d think someone who performs so many weddings would be able to read with some enthusiasm and not have to have his face buried in the words in front of him, but no.

The floral arch was in place as we had arranged but the Mayor had his back to the guests instead of on the other side of Matt and I as we had planned. Matt also couldn’t understand him very well and tripped over his vows as he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to be saying!

Finally, it was ‘kiss the bride’ time and we were married. We had arranged for a friend of the family to do a toast but there was some confusion with the warriors wanting to do their thing (handing out shell leis to everyone along with a fruit punch cocktail) and the toast was drowned out a bit, which was a shame.

I was disappointed that our guests were so far away from us as they had sat in the chairs rather than gathering around us as we said our vows which is what I had wanted. I don’t think many of them would have heard much.

We dived straight into photos as we were losing light fast and they let Matt and I and our photographer take the golf buggy – Matt had us flying down the hillside with me squealing and hanging on for dear life.

I found out afterwards that the warriors had refused to allow Matt’s parents and best person to stand with him in the waiting time before I arrived, which was just awful as his stress levels were pretty high already and he had no distraction for his nerves. Eventually I think they decided to ignore the warriors and went over to him, but the damage was already done.

The marquee was absolutely gorgeous. They had done a beautiful job with the set up – gold ribbons and beautiful flowers everywhere. The marquee was located on the beach in the front of the pool overlooking the water with burning torches around it – very romantic on the sand. The buffet was down one side, with the dance floor opposite and the bar at the back. We’d asked for two long tables at a right angle to the head table and the set up worked very nicely.

It was very soft lighting in the marquee – so much so that we had to shift a candlebra so my dad could read his speech notes, and Matt ended up throwing his notes away and winging it – just couldn’t see a thing. A torch would have been very helpful!

The buffet menu however was a big disappointment. I had been worried, considering the quality of the food at LL during the week, but we had ordered a specific menu and it didn’t quite work out like that – we were missing the seafood platters altogether, there was just one tray of marinated fish. The beef was rubbery – so much for the famed Vanuatu beef, I certainly didn’t find it during our holiday - and the chicken was in such huge pieces I was reluctant to have any. The marinated vegetables and salads were very average. Dessert was awful – the coconut crème caramel was cold and lumpy, and the passionfruit roulade which I had thought was meringue was actually chocolate. We were supposed to have big tropical fruit platters but instead there were two small bowls, one of watermelon and one of payaya.

But the biggest problem was the wedding cake. I’d been really specific about the cake and came very close to ordering it from a cake shop in Port Vila, but Manu had knocked the price down at LL. I had even sent a photo over of a very simple, square lemon cake with lemon butter icing, and fresh flowers covering the top. Manu had stressed that this would not be a problem.

What we actually got so was so awful that had I been able to intercept it on it’s way to the marquee, I would have sent it back to the kitchen and gone cakeless. Two tier, white marzipan covered chocolate cake with piped writing and plastic flowers. I loathe marzipan on cakes and Matt does not like chocolate – and plastic flowers in the tropics???? It was very tacky – and they had wanted to charge NZ$300 for it. As it was, I had only got him down to NZ$145.

Anyway, we partied on and played a variety of music on the CD player. At about 9.30 (things are still in full swing) the staff start taking down all the decorations and packing everything up… and told my Dad they were closing the bar in 15 minutes! It was very odd, considering we were paying for the alcohol on consumption and people were still drinking! In the end those that were still partying went off to the lobby bar, the sick people went to bed and a group of us went for a swim in the pool, so it wasn’t a disaster, just strange.

The costs for the wedding were in part charged to my cousin’s room, much to his confusion (he doesn’t even have the same name as my parents) and they charged my parents 180,000 vatu for the alcohol alone – among other discrepancies they said we drank 39 bottles of bubbles - which was pretty much a bottle per person, on top of all the other alcohol! However, they didn’t charge my parents for the wedding package (77,500 vatu) for some reason so they just decided to pay the bill and forget about it. I hope some other poor person didn’t end up with that charge on their room!

I would probably go with the ‘price per hour’ alcohol package if I was to do it again – most people didn’t really want to drink wine, it was too hot for it. The package included all spirits, juice, soft drinks and I think they would have been more refreshing and enjoyable.

The resort delivered two sarongs, a bottle of champagne, a flower arrangement and a fruit platter to our room the day prior to the wedding and I was a bit concerned that we had received the goodies for the people who were actually getting married that day – a feeling that got worse when yet another bottle of bubbles and another fruit platter was delivered the day of the wedding too!

I had a friend do my hair and makeup for me, and we received a phone call from Manu half way through getting ready to say that the car had arrived to take me to the hairdressers! We had never discussed this with Manu at all, so good on him for thinking of me, but it was very confusing at the time! A note to brides – my curls lasted all of half an hour in the humidity. If I had known this I would have gone for a simple and sophisticated French twist or similar as I end up with lank straight hair down my back in all the reception photos, not the gorgeous curls I started with!

This was one expensive wedding, and in the end you just had to run with it and make the most of the evening. No matter how organised I thought I was, island time takes over and you can’t control anything. I confirmed and reconfirmed our arrangements but it didn’t make a spot of difference on the day. You can’t have any expectations as you may end up disappointed, as I am. My perfect day was a comedy of errors (many other crazy things happened that I can’t blame Le Lagon for!) but I have to look back and say it was the funniest wedding I’ve ever been to!

• Stayed: May 2007
10  Thank Lelagonbride
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We're just back from Vanuatu and stayed 2 nights at Le Lagon - and to be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed. It's a beautiful place in a great setting - and probably good for families, but we ran into an number of nagging issues.

They're still digging a new pool - so expect JCB noise and workmen with power saws around the pool from 7am till 5:30pm when it get's dark again. To compensate - the bar is playing their music extra loud, so even in the quieter chalets, you can still hear the bass beat - which is annoying.

Don't leave anything valuable out in the room - we had two cameras stolen from a locked room (which was locked again afterwards) - which has nasty implications. The offer to get basketware and wood work fumigated is also a bit of a con. If you're flying back to NZ, MAF are actually OK with baskets as long as they can't find any bugs in them - if they do, they'll fumigate them themselves. What was supposed to be a 24 hour service took staff 4 days to sort out - cost extra to have it delivered and ended up involving the manager of the fumigation company to deliver it.

If you're not in an all-inclusive package, take the free ferry across to Erakkor and have a meal in the bar just on the waterfront. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank DMcGibbon
Reviewed May 9, 2007

The Le Lagon resort is probably one of the best resorts we have stayed in for a very long while. The rooms were serviced every day and thoroughly cleaned. The new pool is just brilliant and so attractive to the kids they were in it constantly - good for us! In fact, we have 3 boys aged 11, 10 and 8 and they never went anywhere near the kids club as they were satisfied with the pool and all the other amenities.

We saw from earlier reviews that food was a bit of a let down for previous guests. They must have employed a new head chef because the food service was very good indeed. No upset tummies and a different variety every day for the 7 days we stayed there. Our kids loved the breakfast, chocolate donuts every morning.

The staff were just so friendly and could not do enough for us, always polite. 3 people stood out for us.

Stanley in activities. One day we had a downpour, and did it rain. Stanley jumped in the pool introduced himself to our lads and played with them for almost 2 hours. The kids bonded with him after that and Stanley is simply a legend who loves his job. Tommy in the Lobby Bar. What a professional guy, always attentive to our empty glasses and entertaining to our boys. Julie in the Wild Ginger restaurant was unbelievably professional and could not do enough for us. One evening the main restaurant was serving seafood so we decided to go in the Wild Ginger restaurant. Our middle lad wanted seafood and Julie allowed him to get a plate of food from the other restaurant so we could all eat together. He made several trips back and forth to the other food service and not once did Julie find this a hassle.

The only issue we had was with the all inclusive. We wanted an all inclusive so we did not have to worry about the kids wanting. On the first day they had a red slushy each, which they signed for like you do everything. On day 2 they were told it was chargeable as it was not a local spirit – huh! We obtained a printout of our bill and found we had already racked up some costs. The red slush’s were 650Vt each, some NZ$8.50 each. But upon closer inspection, we were charged 450Vt for each of the slush’s on day 2, still monstrously expensive at NZ$6 each. It turned out that the all inclusive clients should have only been charged 450Vt for each slush. We got through 30+ of these in the 7 days and if we had not been intuitive would have been well ripped off. Also, we had other guests drinks on our bills, can you believe that! When we got our final bill, we identified that 6500Vt was not even ours and some of the drinks within the all inclusive deal had been charged. You will probably find most of the guests at the resort are not short of cash and hardly anyone was checking their bills, just paying up. We met a nice Australian couple, again they were on the all inclusive, and found anomalies in their bills once they started checking! Beware is our tip, and check, you pay enough already for the over-priced drinks!

Also, our youngest lad got knocked out on one of the hammocks – long story involving hid older brothers, but we called the Doctor to have him checked out. All was fine in the end, the Doctor arrived promptly, made a few checks for 10 minutes and left us a bill (charged to the room) for 14000Vt, NZ$190. We would have still called the Doctor no matter what the cost but tourists get ripped off for everything.

We loved it at La Lagon that much that we will be going back in November, it is a truly wonderful resort in a beautiful country with some of the friendliest people in the World. I just hope one day they offer a true all inclusive package, similar to those offered in the Caribbean whereby when you check out you have not a bean to pay.

Steve & Julie May from NZ

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank TheMayFamily
Reviewed April 29, 2007

This was our third time at the Resort and the place just keeps getting better each time we stay. We had a lagoon Deluxe View Room and waking up each morning and seeing the locals come to work in there digout canoe's was great. The new pool with swim up bar was excellent. We took the All Inclusive package and that was the way to go you can eat and drink as much as you like. You also get a 30 minute massage with the all inclusive package. We eat at the Wild Ginger Restaurant and this is a not to be missed expericene the food was great Lobster and prawns. Lunch around the pool the Chilli BBQ Prawns are to die for.

The staff can not do enough for you and make your stay so enjoyable. You can do as much as you want or just relax beside the pool and have another drink of too.

We will be going back again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank pondy2
Reviewed April 24, 2007

My wife and I went to Vanuatu April 1st - 7th. We stayed at Le Lagon in a lagon side villa and it was fantastic. The staff were excellent and I would especially like to mention, Hiedi, Joanna and Stanley. We had a tsuami warning whilst there and the situation was handled with expertise and professionalism. We took the all inclusive package which I belive is good value. We drank, we ate, we swam, we massaged, we sailed, we surf skied, we drank again.....you get the picture. The pool with its in water bar was wonderful. You could eat lunch at the pool if you wished, Two restaurants, one a la carte and one buffet with different themes each nite. The Wild Ginger restaurant a la carte is an experience not to be missed. Had a couple of games of golf
(part of the Le Lagon resort)

Down side..................hardly any. Port Vila was dirty and unattractive,
transport something else again but an experience.
Going back again in Augst with children and grandchildren

7  Thank OpotkiTony