“Excellent Resort, Rooms ok,” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Port Vila
Australia
“Excellent Resort, Rooms ok,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

The resort is 4 star, but the rooms were only 3 star, we stayed in a Superior Lagoon Room my husband myself and our 22 year old daughter. The room was a bit old and needed a bit of a revamp but we weren't in the room for very long so it was more than adequate. The room had 1 queen bed and 2 singles but only had seating for 2 which was a bit odd. We had the most amazing view of Erakor Lagoon. There are sun lounges for each room so this was fantastic, to relax in a shady spot on your own sunlounge was fabulous. We were delayed in checking in, arrived at the hotel at around 3.30pm but our room wasn't ready so we waited until approx 5pm this was a bit disappointing i must say and after reading some of the reviews we were wondering what we were in for. This was our only disappointment in the whole week we were there.

The buffet breakfast is more than adequate, downfall was the food was not very hot but there was plenty to choose from - eggs cooked anyway you want. cereals, juice, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, pastries and fresh fruit.
On our 1st night we decided to try the International buffet we were very disappointed and didnt eat there again, the food was only luke warm, we are not fans of buffets anyway so we didn't go back there again choosing to catch a bus or taxi into Port Vila where there are so many restaurants to choose from you can't go wrong. We tried, Chill, WaterFront, Flaming Bull Steakhouse, Wild Ginger at Le Legan was excellent, the Teppinyaki is wortth trying. - all were great. For lunch Jill's Cafe was great, hamburgers hotdogs and anything else you can think of, at a very reasonable price it was always very busy. We also took the free ferry over to Erakor Island, the jetty is next to Le Lagon to Roxy's Restaurant this was cheaper than the resort . Food was good as well. They have Happy hour between 5.30-6.30pm each night. Cocktails for 800 Vatu. At the resort they are between 1000 & 12000 Vatu. We thought Le Lagon was a bit pricey for lunches although the convenience could outweigh this. They have a BBQ lunch around the pool. We tried this a couple of times great to sit by the pool and get waited on.

The massage on the beach was fantastic only 2500 Vatu for a full body massage.

We did the dune buggy tour this was the highlight of our trip. 6500 Vatu for 2 1/2 hours, so much fun. Went through villages where all the children come running out to wave to the people on the buggies. We also went to Cascade Waterfalls and to Turtle Bay.

Buses into Port Vila are 150 Vatu per person. Taxi's 700 Vatu from Le Legon

We would definately consider staying here again when we return to Vanuatu we had the most amazing time.

This review is a bit long winded but there have been so many negative reviews about Le Legan I think there are many positives that outweight them.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FIAMBERCHELLE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

We stayed at this resort as we were attending a wedding at the resort. Our room was around $460AUD a night (Lagoon bungalow) and it was terrible - unacceptable. The door to the room was warped with water, the fittings old, two double beds, daggy old telly, nothing in bar fridge, and right next to the water sports area (we had asked for a private and quiet room). Had we been paying $100AUD a night it might have been acceptable (although I have stayed in better for less). I contacted the reception and expressed this to them, they said a better room would be another $170 a night, but I could have it for $70 a night. When I pointed out we were members of the Warwick Club (as advised on this forum) we were upgraded to a better room at no charge. I can't complain about that, but anything less would have seen us leaving the resort. At the same time, my jaw dropped to think they could charge the sort of money they were charging for such an average room (the original one). The new room was definitely better but what I would have expected in the first place. As an aside, there was no ipod connection to the stereo which would have been nice.

The breakfast was very ordinary - I don't know if this is because a variety of fresh food is difficult to come by in Vanuatu, but it was very basic. There were also cats wandering around the restaurant which wasn't to my taste.

I don't know if the problem was that the staff were shy, but we had a problem attracting their attention unless we absolutely flagged them down. Otherwise they seemed to look right through you. Polite requests were rarely met with a response, the staff merely went off and eventually returned with what we had requested (i.e. coffee or tea - never were we proactively asked if we wanted this when we sat down to breakfast, we always had to ask).

Again, all this might have been ok if we had been paying average prices but for the price we were paying I expect something fairly good.

There was building work going on and this was a bit of a drag, having to listen to circular saws etc when you are trying to have a relaxing holiday.

Perhaps the most bizzare thing that happened was we did not have a bottle opener in the room. We requested one which duly arrived. At 10:30 that night, the phone rang with someone from the hotel asking if we had finished with it, because they needed it in the restaurant the next day! We're not talking a swanky bottle opener here either, just your regular waiters friend type contraption (~ $1 at Crazy Clarks??). I think to call at that time was an invasion of our privacy, especially when requesting the return of a bottle opener! I can't get my head around why that might have happened...

In my opinion a surcharge on the gym was unacceptable. I also think hotels should provide wireless coverage as part of the deal - at Le Lagon there was a (high) price to access internet from the lobby. I've had free wireless access in much cheaper hotels than this.

All in all, it was overpriced, service was average (or below), and the food was just bearable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

We did not choose Le Lagon. It was chosen for us as we accepted an invitation to attend a friend's wedding there. Some of the reviews on this site were negative, mostly regarding rooms and noisy kids, but we had no problems. We stayed in a standard room, which was fine for two people who wanted to visit Port Vila.

We explored some good restaurants in Port Vila during our stay, including Chill, Moorings and Erakor Island. Had a couple of excellent meals in Wild Ginger, Le Lagon's boutique restaurant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PsychOMelbourne
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Le Lagon is well located-just out of town and I would describe it as adequate but not 5 star. Certainly nothing too dreadful happened to us to spoil our holiday but it could have been better.
The rooms-we had 2 "adjoining " lagoon superior rooms which means one on top of the other (not actually connected). They were not brand new and could do with a renovation. They were however very clean with a lovely view. The upstairs room with queen bed and balcony was smaller. The kids were downstairs in the bigger room (you wouldnt want this with young kids).
We used the resort as a base to go out every day and for that it was fine. Many of the other guests were the same.
For this reason the resort did not seem as crowded as you might expect in a school holiday period.

However there did seem to be a core group of Aussie (mainly) tourists who spent every day eating their own weight at the breakfast buffet(and that was a feat as they were generally very overweight) and then spent the rest of time at the pool drinking. I presume they put their kids in the kids club. If thats your kind of holiday I suppose it would be perfect. (I think they would probably be better off in Bali)

I went in the pool once for an intro scuba lesson(free) and the water was filthy. None of us would go in it again.

The food at Wild Ginger (first night) was average, overpriced and the service was the worst we had anywhere. The breakfast buffet was fine. We tried the dinner buffet 2 nights when we were too exhausted to go out-it was ordinary but at least they didnt charge for kids(12 and 15). The oysters were off and I spat mine out immediately-it was the only bad food we had anwhere in Vanuatu. We ordered pizza from room service another night -they were not great and it took a long time.

They had some entertainment one night (dancers) which were good.

Best option for lunch is to catch the free ferry to Erakor (a very basic kind of place) and have something there (other than going into town)

The laundry prices were outrageous so if you are staying for a short period take enough clothes to avoid it.

Taxis are available at reception and if you walk up the drive you can catch a local bus. The gardens are lovely and well tended by the staff. Kayaks are freely available but the catamarans were broken or the one that worked was always booked.

Currently they are building decks outside the buffet restaurant but this didnt interfere with our activities. My son spent an hour or so talking with the workers in their lunch break and drinking coconut juice-it was the highlight of his stay.

We loved Vanuatu and will go back next year but will avoid "Le lagon" . (especially in school holidays!)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Rinnia
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

Le Lagon is the type of place that turns people off resort-style holidays. It's all about high-volume with little regard for quality, which just happens to be in a pleasant location.

If you go to Vanuatu, be aware they have their own version of 'island-time', which is different to anywhere else I've seen. In Vanuatu, it's a case of 'I-don't-care-time', which permeates throughout your visit, be it at the resort or shopping in town. For example, the pool attendant whose only job is to hand out towels ran out one day. He told us he would get more and slowly strolled away. He returned 45 minutes later, of course without any towels. That might sound funny but when it's just another experience of poor service, then it becomes intolerable.

The approach to service is general laziness and disinterest. There can be 5 staff serving at the pool bar and you will be the only person needing service, and they will somehow find a way to not serve you. On the positive side, when they do serve you, service can be top-notch. The buffet omelet chef was brilliant every day, and one of the slow-moving bar staff did manage to produce some excellent mocktails for my son.

3 of our group got sick from eating at the buffet, so be very careful. We saw plenty of examples where the cutlery or plates were filthy and had to ask for fresh ones. I felt the resort was over-priced given how cheap everything else is in Vanuatu. Also be very careful about which room you book. Make sure you get a newer room as the old ones are ancient and poor quality. The newer ones are significantly better. There is also plenty of extensions and renovations still going at the languid Vanuatu pace, so allow for ongoing construction noise during your stay.

The gym was very small, and included a daily charge, and in my view should have been included as standard in an 'all-inclusive' package.

The pool is well laid out with multiple tiers separating families with kids from adults, and the swim-up bar works well. Unfortunately, the pool is in shade from very early afternoon, meaning it was a bit cool for sitting at the bar. Maybe that would be different at the height of summer.

The location is nice, and make sure you kayak across to the small island in the lagoon for a walk around. Lazing by the lagoon in the afternoon sun with a drink or eating lunch is very nice (as long as you're not getting sick from the food), but let's face it, you can get that in a thousand places in the south Pacific.

I'm in no hurry to go back to Vanuatu, and definitely wouldn't go back to Le Lagon.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 1800hammer
SYDNEY NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

I just returned from a 7 day holiday at the resort with my parter ,12yrs daughter and my 18mths son. We all had a great time didn't want to leave. I joined the Warrick club before we arrived and booked and paid for a standard room. When we arrived we were upgraded to a superior room overlooking the lagoon which had been renovated and very nice and clean. I requested a microwave and cot in the room when we arrived microwave was missing but was delivered within 15mins of reporting .We waited to purchased the all inclusive package to the following morning, so a day was not losted because we arrived late at nite. I was worried that my son wouldn't eat the food from the buffet so i brought all his food from home (waist of time he loved all the food). We went on the village tour to the school and to a family that lives in the hills. My 12year old said she wasn't going to complain about her school again.The resort was beautiful and very well taken care of . The people at the resort were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble for them. We will return next year (plans already in the making) .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank UPPISH1967
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed in a Garden Superior room backing onto the golf course for 6 nights (broken up with a trip to Tanna for 2 nights in the middle). The room was ample for the four of us (with strategic placement of our luggage). We were impressed by the privacy of the rooms which are set out in pairs and spaced well apart. The pools were great. Bar service at the pool was a little slow at times but no problem. We ate at Wild Ginger every night while the kids were entertained in the kids club. We didn't try the buffet restaurant. Kids club was fantastic, with heaps of varied activities. The resort location is good, close to town and the airport. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

We thought the Hideaway Island day trip (snorkeling and glass bottom boat) was a bit overrated. It would be better to take yourself there and just snorkel in front of the resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family