“Flashy resort no ambience”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Australia
“Flashy resort no ambience”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We spent 7 days at this resort recently with the all inclusive package.
Checked in then waited at least 45 minutes in the lobby before we were taken to our room.
The room had a beautiful view overlooking erakor island and the resort in general was beautiful.
Our lagoon view room was adequate and hopefully these rooms will get a spruce up with the current renovations going on.
We had joined the Warick club but we were not offered an upgrade or chapagne fruit basket on arrival. Finally got a bottle of champagne and an apple and orange on day 5.!

Meals. Breakfast was the usual thing you gat at these resorts. It was very busy with lots of kids screaming .Did not seem to have enough staff usually had to chase around each morning for salt or cutlery or hot water for tea considereing the low wages staff are paid I am sure the resort could afford to put on a few extra staff at busy times to address the problem.
Lunch was adequate
Dinner buffet and was mostly lukewarm to cold.
Pool was lovely but not an ideal place to relax,chill out or read a book because of the loud tuneless music blaring from the loudspeakers.
This resort suits families and people that like sitting around a pool listening to loud music and drinking all day. I would suggest if you are a couple to look elsewhere if you want peace and quiet.
Most of the staff were polite.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mc53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Melbourne
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at Le Lagon for 7 nights from 23 July 2009. It was great. We were upgraded to a garden bungalow from a standard room which was wonderful. Played golf with amazing scenery over the islands. We didn't do the meal plan and i am glad as we only ate breakfast at the resort and generally the adults skipped lunch or grabbed a few chips of the free kids buffet. Dinner was always in town. Kids club was good however their pool supervision was a little slack but we were by the pool anyway. Highlight of the trip was taking over kindergarten supplies such as paper, pencils, sharpeners and secondhand books. I had read on a forum on tripadvisor of the lack of school supplies but with a kinder aged child i thought it would be a good learning experience for her to donate these goods to a kindergarten. I discussed this with Anna (staff) at kids club and she has a friend, Ruthy who is a kindergarten teacher in desperate need of supplies. Anna arranged a bus and we visited Ruthy. She had been operating without anything! such as paper, pencils etc for over 3 weeks and had to close the day before due to lack of teaching materials. It was an enlightening experience for all of us especially when she said she can open the next day due to our donations. If you want to do this see Anna in kids club and she make arrangements.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nics017
sydney
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We have just returned from an excellent family holiday, staying at Le Lagon.
We had read prior to leaving all the reviews and those of the construction etc, and whilst there is construction going on we were not affected at all.
Check-in was a breeze - straight to our rooms (garden view - single structure side by side with my folks / live in sitters next door) The rooms were clean and very new and island thatch themed. Enough room for 4 people.
The pool was awesome 3 levels , 2 with access to the swim up bar, kids pool (pool volley ball) and a jacuzzi. The pool furniture - pool lounges were very comfy and plentiful. The ocean accessible but definitely need reef shoes - you can purchase them from the pool cabana (price unknown), the ocean water very clean, but very tidal, i had to rest on a sand bank when kayaking as the current was so strong.
Food - we chose not to have the all inclusive and only at at the resort one night in Wild Ginger. I had read alot of reviews in regards to the price, but have to say I thought that it was very comparable to Sydney restaurants. Wine prices were on the high side. A good array of Aussie, Kiwi and French. Wild Ginger was definitely a lovely experince and I can highly recommend the teppanyaki - you need to request a seat - 3 time slots also (6pm, 7.30pm, 9pm). The rest of the week we ate out, bar one night we ordered pizza from La Casa - delicious. Recommendations -
Waterfront Grill - great location in town on the water, home of the yachties, good prices and good size meals. We went there twice.
The Flaming Bull @ The Office pub - great steaks - (Vanuatu has some of the best beef in the world, a fact)
Nirvana - flavours of South east Asia - a new place opposite the Olympic Hotel also in town , Kiwi chef, and the best presented food all trip, some amazing flavours a good wine list too, portion sizes on the small side though.
Numbawan Cafe - right on the water, a relaxed cafe, great for lunch, lots of locals here and good coffee, pizza, salads and juices - also internet
Villa Chaumieres - a bit out but worth it, a dining experience, very memorable over the water. Quite romantic (although we took a 7yo ) great french food - the duck liver pate, beef wellington, and souffle big hits.
We had buffet breakfast included in our package and this was a good starter each day, hardest decision was what to have - they have fruits, cereals, hot - such as bacon, eggs, french toast, hash browns, also a chef cooking on the spot omelettes or poached eggs.
Note - if your a coffee lover either order one (costs extra but not great or go into town to Numbawan cafe or La Tentation- the old Rossi).
Transport - as there was 5 of us we took the taxi everywhere - even for tours. The cost to go into town is 700 vatu each way , about $9 so it was value , it was 1500 vatu to Villa Chaumiere. If you need a taxi , they have a pool of them that wait at the hotel car park, just go out the front and wave to them, they have some kind of system as to who is next. Or if you are lucky you will have Jonas he gave us his phone number and we tried to use him as much as possible.
There is a ferry that takes you over to Erakor island for free, not much over there though - the island is in receivership so service is inconsistent.
The wharf is at one boundary of the resort, some of the local kids play and swim there, if you have some sweets or lollies or the odd t-shirt they sure do appreciate it.
Entertainment - there is a daily newsletter that comes to your room every night - well some nights - haha. Every day and night there is activities galore. Up to you whether you lay low - as we did or not.
Overall - a great holiday, no complaints from us - although we did over hear a couple saying they hadn't had hot water for 3 days ? We would go back, and we will recommend it. Can't wait to get back there.
Only one negative - no day spa or treatment centre on sight.

4 Thank Cesspitt
Sydney
Reviewed July 20, 2009

3 of us girlfriends went to Vanuatu for a quick 5 day holiday to get away from it all. We stayed at Le Lagon for 4 nights and then Le Meridien for the last night. Le Lagon was SO much better than Le Meridien, thank god I had read some of the reviews on here before we booked.

We were upgraded to a lagoon bungalow which was absolutely perfect for the 3 of us. I think that the room we had booked would have been too small so it was great that we were upgraded. We had requested 3 beds but decided we didn't mind sharing when we got to the room and there were only 2 beds (a king and a single).

The pool area was great, and the swim up bar fabulous. We only ate breakfasts at the buffet (it didn't entice us at all for dinner), the breakfast was great, lots of variety. We ate dinner at Wild Ginger one night and absolutely loved it.

Definitely if you are tossing up between here or Le Meridien (as we were) I would highly recommend that you book Le Lagon.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank wombikins
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We just returned from 9 nights of a family trip to Le Lagon. Our kids are 7 and 4. We had a great time and loved every minute.

Our room was nice - it was a garden superior in a block of 4 with two up and two down. We were on the ground floor so the kids could run outside with their balls and toys etc. There was a double bed and then two singles well away from each other. One was kind of in a little room of it's own which was great for the 4yr old who was asleep every night at 630. (Although the room didn't have a door but that didn't matter). The bathroom was fine with a large shower that made it easy for us to shower both boys.

The food - buffet breakfast was awesome - no complaints there (except for the fact that for 8 out of the 9 mornings there were only marmalade or vegemite for spreads - the last morning that got the jam; honey; peanut butter out - wonder if they were waiting for a flight in)! The kids loved the freshly made donuts (esp those with sprinkles and chocolate). We normally just shared a lunch - they were ok but nothing too amazing. The kids generally had a buffet lunch by the pool - good selection. Always nice when kids are eating free as you don't worry so much about what they eat or leave.
Dinner - we ate at the buffet the first night - never again was not impressed at all. It was the roast carvery night (3500 vatu pp) and not a vegetable in site. Was not impressed by dessert either. After that we ate 7 nights at Wild Ginder - a la carte and Teppenyaki - great loved the meals there. One night the service was a bit slack - think they were very busy but generally very good! The other night we ate over at Erakor Island resort - that was nice for a change.
Kids buffet dinners were great - you could leave them to eat with the kids club at 5.30pm and they loved that eating with all the other kids - good selection too.
Kids club - my kids went most mornings. It was good - although a bit annoying as you had to pay for quite a few excursions etc and other bits and pieces - but didn't amount to a huge amount and the kids enjoyed it. They went on the lagoon boat, school trip and the secret gardesn; made jewelery; painted t shirts; betted on crab races etc. They enjoyed all of the sessions. I didn't let them swim with kids club as they are only ok swimmers.
The pools were awesome. The top ones were a bit cooler but once you did that initial jump in they were perfect. And the swim up bar was a hit!
Guess the main negative was the time at which the room was made up - often done at 4.30pm just when we'd be heading back from the pool and trying to get all of the kids showered and ready for dinner. We always had four towels etc though- never problems there.
We got a babysitter every night and our older boy went to kids club at night and then came back to the room while we ate out. We had the same babysitter every night which was great.
I'd happily go back there - although some things are island time (one day it took 1 1/2 hours to get ou lunch) I'm never in a hurry and was happy to relax and wait!
I didn't like the two cats that wandered the resort - don't think it's appropriate for cats to be in a restaurant.
All in all it was fabulous and I would go back - def some things they could probably improve on but we just took it all in our stride and enjoyed the holiday!

4 Thank jaymcee
queensland
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We were greeted on arrival like VIP guests and unfortunately this moment was short lived. We were escorted to our room which was at the furthermost point of the resort. This in itself would not have been an issue except that we had booked a Lagoon Superior room which according to all the maps were on the other side of the resort. I phoned reception to rectify this and was told the room we were in was recently renovated and was now a Superior and not a Standard room.

Recently renovated was an understatement as I believe a man stomping around on the roof of your room painting it, makes it a current renovation. We were also cut off from the rest of the resort by complete construction works being carried out on the block beside us. When booking our holiday we were aware that renovations were underway, as per information on the website and from our agent. However these renovations were to end June 30. I understand jobs going overtime but works should have stopped during peak season and guests who have come to a resort for a relaxing holiday should not be put in a construction zone! It also states on the website that as these blocks are at the far end of the resort any inconvenience to guests would be minimal. This would have been true had guests not been placed beyond and beneath the renovations.

When I mentioned to reception that the block was still being renovated and we wanted to be moved to where we had booked, I was told nothing was available. This included the manager. I phoned for the manager again the following day after being woken by saws, hammers, workers, trucks and bulldozers - he was still unavailable. I received loads of apologies but no help. I was told my complaint was noted and would be passed on to the manager. I was still not contacted on the third day and was by now very disappointed and angry. On the third day of my complaint I was told supposedly by a manager that a room would be available the following day and to have our bags packed in the morning, hand in our key and when we got back from our tour, all our things would be moved and waiting for us. Finally.

So we arrive back wet, sandy exhausted, to discover that unfortunately that room would not hold a family of four (and yes they had asked and confirmed that we were four as was obvious by our booking). "So sorry" you will have to go back to the other room where our bags were still packed and waiting. "Sorry" we do not have any other rooms available but we can move you tomorrow. Lucky for us a bus load of new guests had just arrived and I dug my heels in refusing to go back to construction city. Amazingly they found an empty room and the manager escorted us out of the reception. We had to wait another hour for our bags and their was not enough towels but after three days of "we apologise" finally some problem solving.

The food was average. The cleanliness average. The service by the local vanuatu people laid back ,slow but very friendly. The location beautiful/stunning. It was reception and management that let La Lagon down with their uncaring, unresponsive, misleading behaviour and the misconception that an apology is problem solving.

2 Thank schmitten
Melbourne
Reviewed July 10, 2009

My friends and I arrived on the late flight from Melbourne, so we got to the hotel about 1am. When we were shown to our room it only had two double beds, and we had requested a triple. The staff were incredibly unhelpful, asking us to share for the night and they would put an extra bed in the next day. The hotel wasn't full, so I requested they find us a room with 3 beds. They said no rooms had 3 beds. I found that very hard to believe. Eventually I suggested they give another room to the third person, and we would sort it out the next day. My friend went to the new room and low and behold it had 3 beds, so we all just moved there. Mind you neither room had any towels, and they weren't able to find us any at that hour. It was about 2.30 by the time we hopped into bed, only to experience my first earth tremor (will have felt many more after the week!). The construction crew working on the block next door start work about 7.30am too.

The pool is nice, though somewhat cold. Swim up bar is great, and was always able to get a sun lounger. I had planned on doing some of their activities like windsurfing, but after a wade in the lagoon I discovered its filled with a gazillion star fish. Not small ones either, big ones. Everywhere. We're a bunch of sissy's so that turned us off doing anything in the lagoon. Even if you wore shoes like they reccomend you would still be stepping on them, and I didn't want to pick a fight...

We ate out in town a bit, the steak place was great. Did the hotel buffet once, very expensive and not that nice. They offer a two for 1 wine deal, but I'm pretty sure they charged us for two wines on the bill checking out. Couldn't be bothered arguing. As others have mentioned Wild Ginger definately worth a look, I'm very tame with my food choices and I think there's something for everyone. Also worth catching the free ferry accross to Erakor for dinner, one of the yummiest meals I've ever had, and a lovely location. You MUST go to the waterfalls, amazingly beautiful. Snorkling and diving out at Hideaway was also another highlight.

Each time we went out in the morning and came back in the arvo our room wasn't finished being made up. Even when it was apparant we were waiting to get in there, that maid wasn't certaintly wasn't hurrying. Apparantly there is a towel shortage as well, frequently we were 1 short, and the pool towels have to be returned by 7 or your get charged (I didn't test this however).

Overall, an okay resort but wouldn't stay there again. Mainly the staff letting it down.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends