“Beautiful place to visit...”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Wollongong, Australia
“Beautiful place to visit...”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I visited this resort in 2012 with my husband for our honeymoon, we stayed in a garden view room which had plenty of room for us.

Pro's:

- Room was beautiful, large and very very clean
- The pool was lovely
- There was great entertainment
- The omelette chef made the best omelettes which were very fresh and tasty
- The resort is very close to port vila
- There were kayak's etc. available
- There is a great cheap day spa in the resort across the water which you can get to by kayak

Cons:

- There was never enough milk and coffee in the room, I ended up buying some
- The breakfast buffet was a bit stale at times, with bread in the bacon trays and a funny smell coming from some of the food
- Drinks and food were a bit expensive
- A male staff member was looking through my window while I showered once (my husband got up and he ran away)
- It took hours for me to get checked into the room and we were just waiting around for ages before we could access the room
- I went to an all you can eat seafood buffet and spent about $110, I felt like some hot chippies to go with the calamari rings etc and was charged $5.50 for a side of hot chips at the all you can eat seafood night

I have booked again and am staying there again, so overall even though there is some room for improvement from the management at le-lagoon its still a great place I will probably just be eating elsewhere for lunch and dinner where possible, bringing my own coffee and going straight to the bar & pool if theres a delay with the room

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WollongongWife
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Wollongongwife,

Thank you for comments. This stay seems to be quite some time ago, February 2013. Quite a few things have changed since then although I take your comments on board.

I would be interested to know if you have since come back and any feedback as I cannot tell with the addresses that are on Trip Advisor in order to find you in the system. However if you have been back I trust you have seen changes and enjoyed.

Jeremy Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our second time back and again our expectations were exceeded. It was like going home for Christmas. We had been to the Resort 6 months prior for my wife's 50th Birthday and the Jeremy, Rida and Chief Bret could not have done more for us. So this time round I expected to be just another guest. But we were not, we were welcomed back like family. Staff members would come up and welcome us back. Jeremy and Rida showed amazing hospitality and even took time out, to sit and chat with us. Some staff members had been promoted to other areas in the Resort, however this did not stop them seeking us out and spending time with our children. The activity staff had no hesitation in taking our children for a game of chess/table tennis or whatever was needed. I can not recommend this resort highly enough. Thanks to the wonderful Management and Staff. Thank you so much for an amazing holiday.....yet again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christopher777
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Christopher777,

What a wonderful review and how lovely it was to see you again. Many thanks for singing the praises of our staff who love catching up with you when you are here. Hard to believe 6 months went by that quickly. Really look forward to seeing again when Christchurch gets a little chilly a few months time:).

Again, thank you so much and "lukum u afta"

Best Regards,

Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

just had the best holiday at warwick le lagon,
food was great,excellent facilities,plenty to keep occupied,
room was nice and well maintained,and staff were very friendly,and helpfull,will be going back for sure.
RP
Gold Coast

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear robin p,

A lovely short and sweet review. Much appreciated and I very much look forward to your return visit. Glad we could be all you were looking for on your well earned break.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my partner from 16 until 20th January. Le lagon is in a fabulous location and definitely the facilities like snorkeling /tennis/golf and gym make the holiday more enjoyable. We were most fortunate to have stayed in an island suite and that type of room is very special that offer excellent privacy. The staff were very friendly and co operative. Liza Walsh in Sales marketing was very impressive and extremely active to provide you a quality holiday. If you have children this hotel is your best choice in Vanuatu.

Room Tip: If you have the money to splash "ISLAND SUITE" fantastic
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear gatt02,

Many thanks for you review. Very kind of you and I am know that Liza has appreciated your comments. It is fantastic that you took advantage of the facilities and you enjoyed a quality holiday. To all the readers as well, great news! (talking about facilities) we have just got in more water sports equipment so plenty of hobbie cats, kayaks, stand up paddle boards, wind surfers.....all brand new and plenty for everyone. I know all our current In House guests are loving it!

Again many thanks and we look forward to seeing you soon again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Additional Comments regarding houseflies in the Breakfast Hall.
During our stay from 4th December to 11th December, 2013
Considering that houseflies are the major causes of disease and carry millions of bacteria on their bodies, I found it absolutely shocking that these flies swarmed the food during Breakfast. It is a known fact that flies regurgitate and excrete whatever they come to rest on, and thereby mechanically transmit disease organisms; therefore an exceedingly unhygienic site of an army of houseflies feeding on prepared food, fruits and sitting on cutlery was extremely disturbing. The rows and rows of flies lining the rim of dishes of sweet preserved fruit purees and sauces was just disgusting.
Although Vanuatu is beautiful and has lots to offer, however a lot of focus into food handling needs to put in place. Friendly people but didn't equate to good service. There is a necessity to acknowledge where these flies have been outside the resort or where they have come from; for example faeces in the open toilets in the village behind the resort, open wounds and rotting material. Just the thought of this made me nauseated which makes me question whether you yourself would eat the same food that was provided to us.
I understand that Vanuatu is a tropical country and it is difficult to control houseflies; nevertheless, it is not impossible and measures can be taken to prevent them getting into food used for human consumption.
Having worked for preventative medicine and as a public health nurse in Fiji, I am well aware of precautionary measures that can be taken to avoid these issues and may I say that it is not too hard. From a public health point of view, houseflies are strongly suspected of transmitting at least 65 diseases to humans such as dysentery, typhoid fever, leprosy, tuberculosis etc. Simple measures like food covers made from netting material and fly screens on doors and windows will effectively do the job. There are also certain flowers and plants that deter flies by their scents, so why not plant them in the gardens and use them decoratively, placed in vases on the tables or in the hall. Examples of these fly deterring plants are Mint, Lavender, Basil, Elderberry etc.
I acknowledge that Breakfast was complementary with the resort packages, but this does not mean that the quality of food and standards should be ignored. Furthermore the rates per night for staying at the resort were moderately high therefore you would expect high quality of food and service.

I sincerely hope that the management of Warwick Le Lagon take appropriate action and eliminate these concerns since there should be a zero tolerance to flies when serving food for human consumption.
Bearing in mind that we have taken out our time to write a genuine feedback, we would appreciate a response addressing these issues.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SubramN
Dear SubramN,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Indeed I understand your comments however I am also pleased to advise at the same time that the refurbishment is complete and dining is now back where it ordinarily was in the Lagoon Terrace. I note your stay was in December 2013. We went back into the restaurant just before Christmas.

However, I have taken advice of the natural plants that can be a deterrent for those ever annoying flies and I thank you for that. Yes, a zero tolerance for flies is not unreasonable to expect and the search for complete eradication continues. I am purchasing machines or devices which are for extermination of flies as well as incorporating your ideas which my Chef is currently doing so am looking forward to seeing the result. Blow curtains are also another option in certain areas.

You are also welcome to discuss directly with me these issues should you feel I have not answered your questions adequately and I am happy to learn more about fly eradication in its totality. I can offer assurance however that the move towards zero tolerance is high on the agenda.

Sydney
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Le Lagon is a funny place. It’s breathtaking; on a sunny day looking out over the lagoon it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. But it’s like any great beauty – look too close and you will see a few flaws. For us, that’s ok. We are fine with ‘island time’, with a bit of inconsistency, and a with the few rough edges. This is not the Raffles in Singapore – and you do not pay those prices either. But if you go there with expectations reasonable for Vanuatu and take in the stunning scenery then you will love it.

Pros:
the lagoon and the pool. The lagoon is just beautiful (take reef shoes though). You can kayak for free or take their charter boat to snorkel off the reef for 15000 VAT – a bargain!. Make sure you swim or catch the ferry over to Erakor Island – that place is magical! The pool area is good sized and is divided into different types (general with bar, water sports, kiddies etc).

The gardens – wonderfully manicured. Just wander through and look at all the tropical fruit growing in abundance!

Proximity to Port Vila – ok, Port Vila has its limitations. But given that resort food everywhere on the island can be underwhelming it’s great to be so close to so many other restaurants in town. Being close to Vila also means that you are close to a range of different activities that run out of the harbour such as helicopter rides, scooter snorkelling, sea planes etc.

Service – the staff are all friendly and keen to help and, as repeat visitors, it was nice that they acknowledged that with complimentary champagne and a fruit basket!

Cons:
- The food. Island food is sketchy at best. Sometimes they surprise you and you will get a fab dish – the peri-peri chicken from the pool bar is freshly cooked and yum. Likewise, the quesadilla from room service is spicy and generous. But then you might encounter the club sandwich in the lobby (a complete rort at $20 per head AUS) or some of the so-so buffet dishes. Likewise, their flagship restaurant, Wild Ginger, can be hit and miss. The lobster stir-fry is on-point – full of lobster and perfectly seasoned. The pad thai, on the other hand, would not make it out the kitchen of a $5 takeaway joint in Sydney. In future, for a special meal I wouldn’t bother with Wild Ginger but would head to Tamanu on the Beach or Le Jardin de Saveurs.

Inconsistency – one day you will get a fabulous fresh lime juice. The next day you might get a curious cordial type drink. It would be nice to know when you order something exactly what you are getting! The same applies to house keeping: some days you will have a bounty of towels, the next day you are chasing down the maid to have even one towel for two!

Petty theft – they do warn you not to leave anything unattended on the patio but we foolishly ignored that warning and lost a pair of shorts and a t-shirt (customised at that – anyone wandering Vanuatu with a North Sydney water polo t-shirt needs to explain themselves …).

Upkeep – some of the rooms are due for renovation and starting to look on the shabby side. This, I think, is reflected in the price. For us, having traveled there in 2012 and 2014 prices have definitely gone down so bear that mind. But while the rooms are large, airy and cool they do need some TLC. And the spa in 423 is broken.

In all, we are repeat visitors and we will be back. We just go knowing what to expect and where to set the bar. I love Le Lagon but I realise that it will not be for everyone

Room Tip: Rooms 422 and 423 are bit of a walk from the pool but that means that do not get any of the pool mus...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank VenturerSydney
Dear VenturerSydney,

Many thanks for your comments and offering a broad range of advice across the board for all types of travelers. I love the pro's and very well written. The cons..........indeed it is an art to create consistency in the Islands and this is most definitely my responsibility to achieve with the team I have working with me here at the Resort. I concur also about some touch ups and or restoration of some of the rooms and this is on my agenda for this year. Thank you for the notification of the Spa as well.
All in all I am very pleased that you enjoy your time here and I hope each year to make this a better and better experience for you on your next visit. We are always here, just a couple of hours plane ride away!

Many Thanks,

Jeremy Walsh

PS, Yes it is a good idea to keep valuables in safe and bring clothing in when unattended (readers:- not making out to be a bad thing but something to bear in mind when travelling abroad).
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Warwick Le Lagon, Vanuatu in late December 2013. We liked every feature of the resort, though the prices are high.

It’s easy to get around Port Vila using buses or taxis…

Buses don’t run on predetermined routes but are plentiful, and can be waved down every 30-60 seconds in most places. You can travel quite a long way on a bus for 150-300VUV ($1.75-$3.50AUD). The buses are actually minibuses and a bus number plate always begins with a “B”.

Taxis are also plentiful and have number plates beginning with a “T”. We never caught a taxi – so I can’t give an accurate comparison of prices, but obviously taxis cost quite a lot more than buses (and rightly so).

There is something very unusual going on at Le Lagon…

Ask any staff member at Le Lagon or any of the taxi drivers waiting in their car park – and you will be told that buses are not permitted to carry luggage to the airport.

The idea that buses are banned from carrying luggage to the airport seemed very strange to me, so I decided to get a second opinion…and a third…and a fourth and so on. All the staff members told the same story…all but one. The last staff member I asked smiled and told me very quietly that this was not so but asked me not to tell anyone that he had told me. I asked him whether what other staff were telling me was a lie. He said “yes, it is a lie”.

To be thorough I took a walk out the long driveway which connects to the main road into Vila. I flagged down several buses and asked them whether they were permitted to carry luggage to the airport – they assured me they were. I related to these drivers what the hotel staff had told me and asked them whether it was a lie. With a hint of annoyance they told me “yes, it is a lie”.

A 10 minute taxi ride to the airport costs 2,700VUV ($31.75AUD). On the day we left, we decided on principle that we would catch a bus instead. After we checked out, the staff and taxi drivers were very eager to usher us into a taxi. When we told them we were visiting a nearby shop before going the airport, and would make our own transport arrangements, the staff became visibly agitated and tried to convince us that buses would/could not carry our luggage. To be honest it felt as if they were desperate not to have their lie exposed.

We had just one suitcase but it weighed 24kg. I have to admit it wasn't much fun carrying the suitcase to the end of the very long driveway in the heat but I managed it (the surface of the driveway is too rough to wheel a suitcase). One of the taxis drove beside me all the way down the driveway – telling me that no bus would accept my luggage. He told me he was only trying to help and even lowered his price all the way down to 1,000VUV ($11.75AUD). That was very unusual because there is no tipping or bargaining in Vanuatu. To be fair, his final offer was not bad but I was in too deep by that stage!

After my wife finished her shopping, we were able to get a bus to the airport from right outside Le Lagon. I think the going rate would be 200-300VUV ($2.35-$3.50AUD) per person + about 200VUV per suitcase. We ended up paying 900VUV ($10.60) altogether because I was nervous about the time, and asked the driver to go direct, without stopping for further passengers. My nerves turned out to be unfounded - we arrived at the airport with oodles of time to spare!

I realise that after forking out thousands of dollars on a holiday, most people aren't interested in quibbling over $20AUD…nevertheless the question remains: why would the people at Le Lagon coach their staff to deliberately deceive their guests in this regard? Have I missed something? I don’t know.

If you’re fit and strong and unafraid of taxi drivers – you could also try this...and there’s a shop at the end of the long driveway that sells very cold, very cheap Coca-Cola/water/beer!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank pauljulian82
Dear pauljulian82,

Many thanks for your review and I can understand your concern. However if I could take a moment to offer you solace that the staff are not trying to deceive you. It is quite long winded however I have had, and posted, this comment before......So readers if you are patient I trust you will understand my response and that when visiting will offer an understanding of how Taxis and Buses work in the country of Vanuatu..........Here we go.......

The issue of only taxis being able to provide transport from the Hotel grounds is true and is written into the by laws of the transport association. The perceived pushiness to catch a taxi is to avoid altercations which will ultimately upset guests further as disagreements can break out between the taxi drivers and the bus drivers which will leave our guests bewildered. Only taxis are able to transport guests to the airport from the Hotel.

Buses are allowed to

1) Enter the premises to drop guests off
2) Pick up and drop off guests that have negotiated a pre arranged tour

They are not allowed to enter the premises and “wait” for pick ups.
They are not allowed to wait at the airport either.

Taxis are allowed to

1) Any type of transportation.

It is complicated and was something that when I first commenced took a while to get my head around although by following the by laws the issues that used to exist in the past have dissipated as there were many disputes with the buses not following the rules, which incidentally they know they have to.

I also catch up with the president of the Taxi Association once a month to check that they are satisfied we are following the rules and also any grievances I may have or that have been reported to me by guests and this works well.

Without cluttering up the room with to much collateral I think I will enter a document into the compendium, or somewhere obvious, that stipulates why taxis vs buses……….