“Very good and is on the repeat list.”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in a Garden bungalow for 7 days.
The positioning could not have been better right opposite the jetty and just far enough away from the pool area.
Staff all very friendly and most helpfull.
Rooms cleaned every day to a very high standard.
Resort bars and restraunts all serving excellent food though I did have one off night when the butter chicken (chicken) was a bit too bloody for comfort.
On advising the staff they happily changed the meal and the manager offered a refund which I refused as the meal I finaly ate was good.
The resort is situated a little out of town and a taxi ride is about 1200v or $8-10 whuch is no hassel.
My wife arranged all her excursions from the resort and was collected each morning between 8am and 9.30am, and had a repotedly fantastic week touring with the friendly helpfull tour staff, whilst I was at work.
Vanuatu is the most third world of all the Pacific Islands we have visited and 8 was pleased when my wife advised she felt quite safe all the time and the locals are just lovley.
Driving a car is a bit perilous and the roads in the city are in very poor condition. Out of town they are ok but extra caution is required at all times for por holes.
My only negative for our stay is on our last night 6th December when the resort hosted a Christmas Party that was way over the top too loud. This should have been managed better and kept us up pretty late. Thus was doubly annoying as we had an AM flight to catch.
I must say that considering how much we and other guests paid to stay, one would have thought the managment would have had a better grip on prioritys and looking after guests of the resourt, rather than a bunch of drunken one night ravers from the Telecom company.

We will stay at Le legon again and for now will presume this party was just a one off that got out of hand.
A reponse from the manager on this would be intresting?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Wheller151
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Wheller151,

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor. Your comments are most appreciated and I think your commentary is well written as well as it is received.
Yes, the Christmas Party? Well I am a man of mixed emotions on this one as the Resort received its brand new marquee two days before this event and I must admit my excitement of seeing it installed and operated may well have over ruled my better judgment here? On the other hand I take your point and a very valid point at that. This was the first event on the property since commencement of this size I have seen on the beach. I have learnt from this that firstly advising our guests that such party will happen via room letter drop will be a start and or then depending on the occupancy of the Hotel perhaps ensure guests are allocated away such areas. This we discussed at length in the management meeting held this morning. Naturally finding the balance between both parties is the priority grip that needs to be grasped here. Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated. I am glad we are on the repeat list and if you find yourself on our shores again I would love to welcome you and catch up. For the readers the next event with the Marquee is NYE, so if you are staying with us then we will all be together. Anything we sell prior to that on the beach of such size I shall notify you.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Our group consisted of three families that stayed in 5 separate rooms for about 7 nights. The resort itself is nice~ very resort like, good pools, good gardens, good view. However, there were some major shortcomings that will result on me never recommending this resort to people.

1. Cost of food. The cost of food/ drinks at this place is preposterous. A pizza that evidently consists of a store bought base and the plasticy square cheese costs approximately $22AUD. Yep, it's more than it is in Australia. And because there really aren't that many reputable places to venture out to in town, and you're at a resort, you tend to just fork it out. They charge you exorbitant amounts for bottled water too~ $5AUD for a 2L bottle (when you can buy it for $1-2 in the shops). Cocktail are not creative, they're literally just a mix of different alcohols with not integration of fruits, ice, etc. Literally everything you can think of has had 100-200% price increase on it (however, the ice blocks [splice/ gaytime etc] were reasonable start at 120vatu, but I think they just forgot to quadruple the price for that food item!!)
Also, this place will strive to charge you for anything and everything. When you're paying for the room, you're literally just paying for the room. They don't give you anything in terms of complimentary water, fruit, etc. The little touches that make you like waking up in that resort.
2. Food quality and consistency. I get it if a restaurant in Australia charges me $22AUD for pizza and it's oven baked, with buffalo mozzarella and quality ingredients. However, in this place, they charge you the Western price, but give you the Vanuatu quality. On one occasion, 4 of us ordered 2 pizzas. One of the pizzas was missing about 3 of the toppings, so instead of being the hot pizza with jalapenos, capsicum, sun dried tomatoes, salami chilli flakes, cheese etc we ordered, it literally only had capsicum, salami (gross sort) and onion on a tomato base. And there was a hair (of the vanuatu kind) on one of our pizzas!
Also, most of the food does not seem to be locally sourced. They get their coconut milk from Thailand, and everything is so packaged. They don't embrace sustainability at all, especially when their soil allows them to and it could cut costs for both guests and the resort hugely.
3. Service. This carries on from the point prior. When we pointed out the hair on the pizza, and the fact we were given dirty plates to eat the pizza from, and also that majority of toppings on the pizza we ordered weren't present on the pizza, the lady was pretty damn disinterested by our complaints. She said sorry, offered absolutely no complimentary drinks, no nothing, and told us she'd tell the chef (which I'm pretty certain she did not do, because the chef did not come out to speak to us). In general, the staff put on a smile, but if you question something or disagree with them, the relationship is kaput. When I asked to speak to management on the occasion the pizza incident occurred, a lady went to fetch someone and just never reappeared. I don't know if it was us, or what it was, but every time we were served food near the pool, our staff there rarely even smiled at us.
The service at the Wild Ginger restaurant was of Western standard (and so was the price, but this was okay). They most definitely have a completely different training scheme to the rest of the staff at the resort.
4. Room service. The consistency lacked here. One day they even forgot to replace our bath towels (but still replaced all the smaller towels), and after I called reception at 1pm and asked them to replace it, I had to call them again at 6pm before my shower the night I was supposed to go out until they got it to our rooms. Also, they never filled our tea and coffee station, of which we drank a lot of tea from, and they give you a pathetic lipton yellow label, and that's it. For the rate that one pays, the quality of product is just distasteful. There were no nice complimentary shampoo/ conditioner etc, just bland generic stuff that all looked like shower gel.
No theft from our room, although we always locked our bag and used the safe provided.
5. Flies. They don't have fly screens in the breakfast room. As a result, every single morning you wake up, I will guarantee you that a fly (that probably comes from the run down villages in town) has most likely sat on your granola, your watermelon and your chocolate croissant. Although the variety was good, the flavours were mediocre. They don't use gloves when handling your food, and I don't know what their etiquette is when it comes to washing hands. I feel sorry for whomever the breakfast was not included, because I certainly would not want to fork out that money to eat fly covered food. Also, some of the fruit were literally bathed in fruit flies (banana's, grapefruit etc)
6. Staff vs. efficiency. There are so many of them, and most of the ones you see stand around eating mangoes/ finding mangoes/ drinking coconuts or walking. I don't actually know what a lot of the staff at this resort do, and although I think it's great the resort is providing jobs to so many locals, the efficiency of the resort is pretty pathetic and they don't tick all their boxes, nor cross all their i's. They're not environmentally friendly in any way, they will replace all your towels even if you hang them, they put your air conditioning on 16degrees for you, there's just a lot of wastage.
7. Rooms. The rooms were nice, but worn. The shower head had a few problems, the bed was good, and the room had nice decor, but it's more islander than modern, which is perfectly fine. Foxtel was great since there are always some good movies playing at every time of the day.
8. Free snorkel/ kayak hire. I nearly fell off my chair (if I were sitting on one) when I learnt that kayak, snorkelling and sail boat (mini ones) hire were free! FREE, something was free? Absurd. Anyway, that was great, the reef is lovely, but I don't know if anyone is going to come to your rescue if the current takes you out to see, so beware.

All in all, your Australian dollar really does not go far at this resort. You're basically at an Australian priced resort with Vanuatu scenery. IF they want to charge top dollar at this place, they need to GIVE top dollar value/ service etc. And it most definitely is not there. I won't recommend this place purely because management/ staff/ and cost put me off. Otherwise the resort itself is situated in a good position, although I would not walk into town (though one trip to town on a holiday to port vila would sate most people). The resort had gorgeous views especially from rooms 106/108 and good views from 118.

Room Tip: Rooms 108, 106, 118 have lovely views. Pick the mangoes from the ground at night if you want some in...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank aa_6
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The resort was very clean, people were excellent, helpful, at times a bit slow, but hey that's the Island way, it all fits in with having a slow relaxing break, breakfast menus were good, nothing special but everything you would have expected.
Room was slightly small, but you are only in your room to sleep.....
Easy to get around by either taxi or bus, we preferred the bus as it an experience to mix with the locals.
Not the type of place to do a whole lot of shopping,

Room Tip: Get the upper level beach rooms, better veiw and good sea breezes
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve B

Dear Steve B

Thank you Steve B, concise and to the point. Yes, the "Island Way", that's the approach! Nice slow relaxing break, we all need them. Indeed mix with the locals and see what you can. Hope to see you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Our family stayed for a week, rooms 109,110,113.. beautiful rooms and immaculately cleaned each day, even after 2 rowdy boys.. No-one wanted to go home, the staff were so friendly, always smiling and laughing. The pools were enjoyed everyday, the swim up pool bar staff & other hospitality staff were very efficient, sometimes slow, but we were all relaxed like they are. . We only used the kids club once and the 3, 4 &10 had a good time, while we went shopping. We read the negative reports by others before we arrived and must admit we were apprehensive. The breakfast buffet food was great, the children loved having a choice, the dishes topped up regularly, the staff were so caring, even cuddles for the kids. Can't complain at all about the "kids eat free" menu. Excellent choices...We all can't wait to come back again. The 10 year old called in "paradise". how true!

Room Tip: Our superior garden rooms were close to the pool and good outlook over the garden, not too far from...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Robyn H

Dear Robyn H,

A wonderful review and many thanks for your posting. I appreciate that you and your family had a wonderful time despite a little apprehension. We are sorry that you didn't want to go home but we will be joyful for when that time comes to "come back". Vanuatu truly is a fantastic destination and when you see and experience it all "paradise" for what it is nothing will disappoint you.

Many Thanks again

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights for a small break before Christmas.

Enjoyed our stay very much and are looking at coming back next year. Having said that the resort is looking a bit tired. Cracked vanity top in our bathroom, door hard to lock. I appreciate that the main kitchen area was being renovated but it was a bit dingy having breakfast in a fairly dark room - which looked like it was a conference room. However contrary to some reviews I don't think that there was anything wrong with the breakfast. No better or worse than I have had in 4 star hotels/resorts in Phuket, Hong Kong or Singapore.

I do think that management needs to look at free Wifi or at least lower the price. $12 an hour is steep.
The staff are wonderful, the gardens are well maintained and there is plenty of activities to do at Le Lagon.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Per D

Dear Per D,

Many thanks for your review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and are looking at coming back next year and I take on board your comments about the room. Hopefully the WIFI situation will change soon as there is now a cable which has been run into Vanuatu, although I guess this will depend on the on charge from the Telco's? (Fingers crossed). Thank you for your kind comments on our staff and the general property. Look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Went to Le Lagon for lunch at the Pool Bar. Got a burger, very bland, not worth paying for. Go to Jill's Cafe in town if you want a burger. Setting was lovely, but food a disappointment. Service was okay but not brilliant. Staff used to be very happy and friendly taking time for a chat. Went for a swim in pool and had a couple of cocktails, very relaxing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear cardeb,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. Sorry you didn't enjoy your burger but glad you had a good time in Vanuatu and enjoyed your cocktails in our pool. Maybe next time you might to stay and experience the property in totality where I would be only to glad to be of your service.

Regards,

Jeremy

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Wow!a big thank you to all the staff, you all were so happy to help and made our grandaughter feel so at home and safe in the resort. Breakfast was so good with eggs and omelets made to order, food was hot and plentiful no matter what time you made it to the terrace. The girls at breakfast and dinner went out of their way to make sure you had all you needed. Management should be proud to have such committed staff. Pool bar staff were quick to serve you with smiles always, rooms were spotless, Heidi at reception wonderful! Grounds are so beautiful and lush. We have been to Vanuatu 8 times and this resort ranks up there with the best, no complaints at all, so ignore the bad reviews as those are a waste of time reading...must be very impatient, hard to please people.

Room Tip: we had a lagoon view & a garden room, both were problem free.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank sharOnshaz2013
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear sharOnshaz2013,

Many thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. Indeed I am very proud of my staff and their commitment. I am glad you enjoyed your holiday and the surroundings at the Resort and thank you for ranking us highly after being seasoned travelers to Vanuatu.

Kind Regards,