“Georgeous resort”

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“Georgeous resort”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

What a lovely resort - stunning gardens and setting, awesome accommodation just metres from the water. Best pools ever seen, of different temperatures to suit everyone. Buffets every night were fantastic, recommend get up early for breakfast however otherwise tend to run out of cutlery and clean plates!! Eating outside resort expensive, but shopping bargains to be had at little shops by market in town. Recommend take own snorkeling gear and pool toys for kids. And book catamaran early as its popular. Great that all water sports equipment included. No beach as such but short boat ride for small fee to lovely resort opposite. kids club a bit run down, we didnt utilise anyway, just attended a couple of activities for a change and to have a break from the sun!!

Room Tip: Single free-standing fales are lovely and spacious and quiet.
1 Thank Rina067
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Rina067,

Thank you for feedback and observations to other readers.
I am glad you have enjoyed your time at Warwick Le Lagon and for some tips that I shall address internally ie plates.

Jeremy Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent 10 days at the Warwick and overall felt it delivered exactly what we were expecting given the research we'd done into resorts in the area and the price we were happy to pay. We wanted a good swimming pool/sun area and a good fitness centre, at a location which wasn't too far from town to access alternative (ie cheaper) eating/drinking options - the Warwick delivered. At 3kms from town it's a reasonable easy walk to and from, or a relatively cheap bus ride (150vt per person) with buses passing very frequently. There are also supermarkets fairly close by to help reduce the inevitable cost of some key items ie water, beer, snacks. The room rates all seemed to include the buffet breakfast which provided a wide and varied selection - not necessarily Michelin-starred stuff, but should be enough variety to keep even fussy punters happy (and enough to keep you going until dinner if you are that way inclined).

Yes, the prices are reasonably hefty for food etc - but to be honest only marginally more than you end up paying in town anyway (particularly if you pay to get in and out of town).

Yes, the place is "family-friendly" with lots for kids to do and as a result there were lots of kids when we were there. We knew this was on the cards before we arrived but were pleasantly surprised to find how little we noticed them (maybe just well-behaved, or maybe the volume of activities available helps?). We also noticed that overall our room was very quiet - we were in the garden suite section and the noise of the restaurants etc didn't seem to travel down to us at all.

The staff were all fairly friendly and helpful (particularly the breakfast staff who endlessly filled my husband's coffee cup each morning) - no complaints in that department, and special thanks to the water sports guy who killed the massive hornet in the fitness centre when I was trying to run on the treadmill. As an aside, the fitness centre is great - bike, treadmill and cross trainer, full selection of dumbells, a mat, couple of swissballs and a bench, plus 2 x air con units, towels and cold water available. The view of the harbour from the treadmill and bike made workouts go much faster. Definitely one of the better maintained gyms I've found in less than 5 star hotels around the world.

We tried 2 of the buffet dinners - Melanisean and Tex Mex and yet again, were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. Cooking in bulk is never easy but given other experiences we've had in the past, these guys are doing a pretty good job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NISKandJP
Dear NISKanJP,

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. Quite a neat little header to......

Overall it would seem that you were happy with our product offering. I very much enjoyed reading your feedback. Would love to see you again at some point.

Kind Regards

Glenhaven, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We selected this location due to the 3hr flight time from Sydney. The previous year we stayed at the Sheraton in Fiji. With 2 kids aged 6 and 2 all they wanted to do was swim in the pool "all day", however we grabbed a private car with driver and visited "blue lagoon" and "turtle bay" which were both awesome spots. We ate out most nights (in town) and can recommend places like the waterfront, bay watch and a very french restaurant call lehoustle which was the first time I experienced snails. Vanuatu is very similar to Fiji although the people are a little more reserved, not as hospitable as the Fijians. The Warwick is in need of work in areas but which resort doesn't. I can totally recommend the Island Suites for accommodation. Kids club was good and nannies are $3 per hour.

Room Tip: Island Sweets
1 Thank Michael1972Michael
Dear Michael1972Michael,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you found your stay enjoyable and were able to get out and about and enjoy a lot of the things to do on offer in this beautiful country. I am also glad that you chose Warwick Le Lagon as your "launching pad" to do all these exciting things.

Many Thanks

Adelaide
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this resort in a garden view room i got a good rate of stay 5 nights pay 3 inc breakfast and $50 hotel credit. I was concerned i might be dissappointed as had just come from an amazing 5 star property in queenstown NZ but... i enjoyed my time at Le Lagon.

The highlights of this resort for me were the amazing vast gardens, coconut trees galore. As soon as we drove into the property i thought WOW this is what i pictured. The staff who tend to these gardens do a great job. I saw them out there everyday pruning, sweeping, cleaning the paths and also sanding and re-staining the path lighting posts. The other WOW for me was the lagoon frontage. A beautiful space with sun beds and umbrellas which just looks out to the lagoon of turquoise clear water. This area is very peaceful as mainly used by adults. Perfect for some sun, sleep and a great novel.

I travelled here solo after some time in NZ looking for some sun and relaxation. I was concerned it may be over-run with kids and be annoying. But i have to say that this was not an issue. As this place is so big i found there are plently of options to avoid noisy areas. Also all the children seem to be having such a great time that they didn't bother me at all. The pool area has 3 levels of pool. The bottom is an activities pool so kids seem to love hanging out there together. The upper level pool is a more adult area and i found quite relaxing.

Kayaks available free but a hit and miss. First time i tried to hire there was 1 available but no paddle! next day i got lucky and this is an awesome thing to do around the lagoon, and quite safe.

Room was good. I was on the upper level with private balcony. Bed comfortable and found it was really quiet. Tea/coffee/kettle supplied as well as tumblers and wine glasses and fridge. Bathroom could do with upgrade but it is spacious and has lots of bench space which was great. One thing the hotel should do though is put in 'mosquito nets' as this is a probelm. Being an aussie i am used to loads of bugs especially in summer it is just that in vanuatu malaria is something to be aware of.The aircon louvres did not close shut even when off and toilet window did not close. Mossies are plentiful in villa, naturally, and found i not only had to spray myself with repellent but all the windows and door frames every morning and night.

Aircon effective in room and nice big ceiling fan above bed. Good selection of TV channels (7 & 9 Australia, BBC, Movie channels and kids channels).

Breakfast is included and is a large buffet. Not gourmet fare by any means as is more food for the masses but ok. Egg station, toast, cereals, juices, meats. Pretty average. I was dissappointed at the lack of range in the fresh fruit considering the range of produce available at the market here. There was some fresh fruit and it was nice but i also saw some tin fruit which seemed wrong.

Speaking of food. The food and drink you order here is very pricey. I had a $50 hotel credit so that helps but one previous reviewer mentioned a glass of wine will cost $12..this is true and the only variety available by the class is 'oyster bay chardonnay'. Why you would have this variety in a hot climate i don't understand. Sav Blanc, Pinot Gris would be more appropriate and NZ and Australia are on the door step. But to be fare to resort also you will find if you buy wine in Au Bon Marche supermarket in town it is cheaper than resort but 'still very expensive'. I took advice from a previous reviewer and bought water from a little shop about 3 min up the road from resort it is quite a bit cheaper.

Wifi very expensive...$13 aus for 1 hour and if you don't use the whole hour straight up it expires.

Tried the spa (massage & facial). Very relaxing indeed and i recommend. It is not cheap at all but a really beautiful place they have a wide selection of treatments and the set up is professional and they did have some special package prices while i was there.

Taxis wait at resort and will cost 700vatu into town area (this price was consistant with all taxis in and out of resort to town) but make sure you have correct fare as most taxis here do not have change. An alternative is to grab a minivan outside resort which is cheaper.

Service attitudes from staff at the resort varies a lot and that is a shame. It is important to consider this is a laid back place (pt villa) and this is part of the attraction. Some resort staff will go out of there way to yell 'hello' and give a wave or a smile. Unfortunately i did find there were some individuals who did come across to me like the guests were an inconvienance. Examples were when i checked in the 2 ladies on reception where straight faced and cold as could be and i had the same experience when making a booking at the Oasis day spa and a few times in the lobby bar. First impressions count.

I would stay here again as long as the rate was reasonable.

Room Tip: I would not bother paying for a standard room with lagoon view as most times of the day you can be o...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank gypsygirl_8
Dear gypsygirl_8

I am glad we are able to over deliver on your expectations after coming from Chilly Queenstown.
It sure looks like you got and about and found some good things and some not good things. We will look at the wine lists as we introducing a change over of menus as well. Overall many thanks for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor and we would love to see you again at Warwick Le Lagon at some other time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a wonderful 2 week stay here with our kids aged 4 and 5. The kids loved the kids club, particularly Sarah, and were always asking to go there. The kids ate free together at a special buffet location which meant we could eat in peace (either at the resort or in Port Vila). The employees were lovely, we received a room upgrade to a garden bungalow as on our first evening (we arrived at 2am) we were sent to Erakor Island resort due to overbooking.

Love Vanuatu, so much to do, Mele, Pele island, hideaway, plane trip to Tanna Island to see the volcano was exceptional, people are beautiful can't wait to return to Vanuatu and this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Julie2671
Dear Julie2671,

A wonderful overall review of Vanuatu. Great your kids enjoyed the Kids Club and were making the most of what is available there. Vanuatu is truly a "bucket list" place with plenty to see and do and thank you for choosing our Resort as a base for all your fun activities.

Many Thanks

Auckland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

First ever trip to Vanuatu for a work conference and it was a beautiful spot to stay at. We stayed in a lagoon view room. Very nice room, had air conditioning which was nice and quiet. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was really nice. Food was really good. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Roxy1932
Dear Roxy1932,

Many thanks for your review.

A wonderful and refreshing "short and sweet" review which paints a lovely picture:).

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our first trip to Vanautu after being to Fiji twice and I'm not sure we will be going back unless it is on a cruise and it's just a stop over. And if we did happen to visit again it would not be at the Warwick Le Lagoon.
We stayed in a Garden View Room with our 2 children 6 & 5. Our room was up the back of the resort and was positioned perfectly for us as the kids had lots of room to run around. It was serviced every morning which was great. But the pillows are terrible as it has been mentioned before in other posts.
The grounds at the Le Lagoon are amazing and I must compliment the grounds people as they do an amazing job and never stop working. The pools are also very impressive and my children had lots of fun swimming in the 3 pools and the spa all day, however, very disappointing that there was never any pool towels, the resort wasn't even full and yet everyday they ran out, we ended up having to use our bath towels.
Kids Club nothing to rave about, in Fiji the kids clubs as so well organised and all day there is something for the kids to do, we had 6 children in our group and they didn't want to go as they said it was boring.
The service was very average here it almost felt like you were putting them out when you asked them a question or ordered a drink. We have stayed at the Warwick Fiji and the service there was second to none they always had a smile on their face and made you feel welcome, but Warwick Vanuatu was the complete opposite.
Outside of the resort I would highly recommend paying a visit to Mele Cascades, Hideaway resort if you like to snorkel or scuba dive and most definitely pay a visit to the Blue Lagoon, my children especially loved swinging off the rope into the water. But one tip I will say is don't go with a tour there are always taxis out the front of the resort and you can negotiate a price with them.
Final word is it is quite expensive in Vanuatu I ordered a glass of wine and it cost me $18 which is crazy when I can buy a bottle of that wine in Australia for the same price I paid for 1 glass.

5 Thank Kyliecharlie
Dear Kyliecharlie,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunate your kids thought the kids club was boring, there are many positive comments about our kids club but I guess that not everything is everyone's cup of tea.
As mentioned in the previous two reviews, the Pool towels have arrived which I have been posting previously that we were awaiting a shipment.
I don't think that the staff feel as though you were putting them out, there is a rather big cultural differential with Vanuatu over Fiji, having lived in Fiji for 5 years. I have found that the Ni-vans myself do not have the big BULA that Fiji has however are a little more shy and reserved although we should always remember.....There must be a reason that it was once voted the "Happiest place on Earth".
I am following up however this $18 glass of wine you had?