“Great stay but pricey”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have just returned from a 7 night stay at Le Lagon Resort. Myself and my 2 boys (12 and 14) enjoyed all of the facilities and tried our hand at several of the activities - tennis, golf, table tennis, and of course swimming in the variety of pools. The resort is very well presented and our room was excellent, with a great view over the lagoon. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful. Would have loved too try the snorkelling near Erakor Island, but the water was too choppy during our stay. Also would have liked to take the ferry to Erakor Island, but we didn't know about it. The lagoon itself is not a very enticing place to swim.

Just a couple of negatives about the pricing: I found the cost of buffet dinners in the Terrace Restaurant excessive, at 3500 vatu (A$40) per adult or child over 12. The food quality was average. Our only other choice was to bus it into Port Vila to find a cheaper eatery. Internet charges were also unreasonable, at 1000 vatu (A$11) per hour, or about A$110 for 7 days. In many resorts, wi-fi is free. Finally, when it came time to check out and pay the bill, the 3.5% credit card surcharge was punitive.

Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Le Lagon. Great place for families.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank John_B99_Oz
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear John_B99_OZ,

Many thanks for your comments posted and taking the time to do so. I am glad that you had enjoyed all the facilities on offer and you were very happy with your room. The boat to Erakor Island is not actually ours but you can see it transferring daily at regular intervals and the jetty is very noticeable where it leaves from (just down the far end of our property). I do agree the snorkeling would have been to choppy given the bout of unfortunate weather we experienced for some time:(.
With regard to food pricing there are other options such as Room Service and maybe a main at our wonderful Wild Ginger restaurant if you don't want to do the buffet.
Overall I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and would love to see you back.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 19, 2013

It is a beautiful place, excellent for families with children. We travelled with our four month old son and could not asked for a better place to stay. The hotel even equipped us with a cot and a baby bath for our son. Rooms are excellent- we stayed in a room with a garden view- just beautiful. The place is extremely peaceful and scrounged by a golf course. We played golf and the golf course was ok to play on but huge (lots of walking and it was hot). Great restaurants and very good value room service. Excellent pools and the lagoon is just delightful but I did not like the sea snakes- there are hundreds of them. We photographed them a lot, as well as the eels and other fish. The snakes are slow and lazy and apparently not poisonous. The additional bonus for Warwick hotel is the ferry you take to the nearby island (takes five minutes)- the island with a restaurant and a small hotel is a paradise and we went there four times to swim and have a dinner.

Room Tip: The rooms are better than their description. Very good size - much bigger than what they look like o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kasia133

Dear Kasai133,

Many thanks for your review, it is most welcome.

Yes, the golf course can certainly be a good piece of exercise! nonetheless it also offers some fantastic views over Erakor and the Lagoon. Thanks also for your comments on the Food and services.
Interesting those sea snakes, they are quite odd and at first thought I thought they were snakes as well until I asked one of my staff one day what they were? He picked it up and it turned into something that looked like a piece of seaweed, then put it back it back in the water and it puffs up again with water. They seem to have no front or end and best of all they are harmless and as you say, lazy. They just stay in the one spot all day and do nothing......In Vanuatu they call them seas slugs. Again, many thanks for your review and we trust you will visit again the next time that special holiday calls!

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel has all the facilities you need and is well presented. Pools, restuarants, bars, sports, lagon access. The buffett breakfast is great.

Negatives:
Studios are overpriced compared to other hotels on the island. Small and cramped but do have the mod cons - airconditioning/TV/DVD. Kids run wild everywhere. If you have kids this might be ideal, but as a couple it was horrible. Restaurants - tried the pool terrace and Lagon restaurant and both are overpriced and the food was very average.SPA - look around the island so many more better deals! THE COST OF INTERNET CRAZY! Especially when it is free in a lot of places!

It's like a typical resort for people don't travel very often, or who spend money without a thought or who don't like anything other than what they are use too. It's so western and lacks any authentic atomshpere. May as well holiday in Australia - because that is exactly what it feels like - being in Australia. I think it's terrible that it is gated and therefore you have to walk to 10 mins to the main road to get the real local transport as opposed to their preferred use of taxi drivers. I couldn't wait to leave that hotel - it stressed me out being there.

2  Thank Mmbtravels

DearMmbtravels,

Thank you for your opening comments, they are well received.

At Warwick Le Lagon we offer nine different room categories, providing something suited to all budgets and types of guests, being for couples and families. The sizes of the rooms vary, with the lead-in rooms being of standard room size, and moving upwards, the Bungalows are 36sqm, Island Suites are 51sqm and Villas are 69sqm. For those families who do join us, we provide a supervised Kids Club.

Our restaurant pricing is standard for 4-star hotels and the Pool Grill menu pricing starts from a hot dog at 880 Vatu (AUD9.95), Quiche of the day 1,100 Vatu (AUD12.40), Classic Caesar Salad 1,000 Vatu (AUD11.30) and includes other items such as Tandoori Chicken Wraps or Santo Beef Rib Eye grilled, 1,500 Vatu (AUD16.95). We recognize that this pricing is more than the average Australian shopping mall food halls, however it is appropriately priced to our type of resort and destination. The Lagoon Terrace has buffets with different themes, mostly costing 3,500 Vatu (AUD39.50) and is designed to provide ‘something for everyone’.

Your comments regarding our guests might be best replied by those who have previously stayed with us, and feel the urge to comment. You might be surprised to learn that Warwick Le Lagon has a very high return-guest rate, so like all feedback, it won’t be shared by all.

Over the three months that I have been in management we have focused on the Vanuatu culture and how it is displayed. Currently we have cultural dance shows twice a week; every night the torch lighting ceremony is performed with the ‘warriors’ in local dress; Melanesian buffet night is weekly; once-weekly there is story-telling (cultural talk) around a bonfire and native cooking as part of our activity schedule; weekly fire show on Tuesday evenings performed by local Ni-Vanutu; and daily on arrival the local string band welcomes guests. We are in the planning process to create ‘Melanesian Day’ which offers a combination of interaction, education and entertainment lasting the entire day – guests can stay tuned for promotion of that by Septmeber. And of course, our concierge recommends half and full day tours for guests wanting to visit a local village and to tour Efate.

Regarding the transport, there are laws in Vanuatu surrounding transportation which is why you walked up to the gate to catch a 150 Vatu bus per person (AUD1.70) instead of the 700 Vatu all inclusive taxi (AUD7.90) available at the front door.

We understand that our property might not be to your budget or tastes, and hope that this does not deter travellers visiting Vanuatu to experience all the wonderful and unique treasures that this beautiful island nation offers.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Such a gem! Great location away from the city centre, friendly staff. beautiful pools, comfortable room, good food, cheap buses/cabs at front of resort. Booked a much needed break and expected to find resort crowded as it was the first week of the school holidays. As soon as we entered the grounds I knew we had made the right choice - easy check-in and our room (106) - perfect with a view of the lagoon and Erakor island. Woke every morning to the sound of the little ferry going across. Being school holidays there were lots of families but as the resort is so spacious plenty of space for everyone. The buffet breakfast was always fresh with plenty of choices and Inneth welcomed us with a beautiful smile and a hearty "good morning" - made our day. We only had one hiccup - didn't get towels after our room was serviced - (happened 3 times) no real problem rang reception and they were delivered with apologies - the towels could do with an update they were a bit threadbare. Would certainly recommend this resort for a true "island" experience - go with the flow, unwind, relax and enjoy a relaxed pace of life. Look forward to another visit.

Room Tip: Choose a lagoon view room - so worth it
3  Thank tartiniBrisbane
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear tartiniBrisbane,

Thank you for a wonderful review, it just fantastic that you were able to relax, enjoy and go with the flow. After all this is what holidays are about. Inneth truly is a superstar and has been since the day I arrived here, she truly has a genuine approach to what she does. Regarding the towels I know I have been mentioning this for a while but I am told our new towels arrive this month. In fact I believe they are in the country awaiting customs clearance. This I am very excited about! Overall thanks again and we will be waiting to welcome you back when you next find that hard earned time off.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We (2 adults & 2 kids aged 7 and 9) spent 9 days at Warwick Le Lagon - it was simply great. The facilities are excellent, everything was clean, the service was the best that we experienced anywhere in Vanuatu, the food was very good, there's good snorkelling just around the corner and it was all very reasonably priced. All up, we could hardly have asked for more.

We'll be back.

Room Tip: The garden superior rooms are definitely the best value - you miss out on nothing by not being by th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mick A

Dear Mick A,

A lovely review. It is most appreciated that you enjoyed your time with us and you have taken the time to enjoy the facilities and food on offer at the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back when the next time for relaxation comes around again.

Many Thanks

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I called this hotel to do an early booking a week before coming down here in Port Vila . Ive booked a 2 rooms and a ticket for the kiwanis dinner (ball event) . We only came down here in Port Vila just for the Ball and Horse racing. I've talked to the lady in reservation named Sylvie Philip. And she said yes it's all booked. She then repeat the booking to me.

Anyway, the day before we flew from Santo to here , I called this hotel to make sure that everything's fine when we arrive since I don't trust them that much because we had a problem last year in this hotel already. And thank God I checked it because there is no any bookings there for us. Aha! So I started do the booking again blahblah. And she said its all good now we have a room and the tickets for the Kiwanis Ball dinner. And she then sent the confirmation bookings to my email.
But by the time we arrive in the hotel/reception 9:00 pm to check in , the receptionist said there's no any booking. It was absolutely a nightmare. .So we told told the girl that I hope they can provide us a room cuz we were starving and we have to get something to eat . We then left our laugage by the reception.
After 2 hours , 11:15 pm we were looking forward to get to the room to get some rest. But as we spoke to the receptionists they said , yes we have a room . They told us the room number and given us the key. We then asked to send our bags to the room but after 5 min the guy who brought our bags came back to the reception and says , there is someone in our room already. Wow they are so amazing staffs. The worse staffs in Vanuatu i would say. There are 2 guys and 2 girls receptionists and they both staring at the computer screen trying to get us a room. They then keep asking our names and we wrote it down in a piece of paper many times. I would say I never came acrossed anything like it in my life. I've experienced some problems from cheap accommodation somewhere else but not that worse.

The sorroundings of the hotel is looks nice and clean . I like the atmospheric views . But there are lots of things that need to a proper management like , Half the channel TV dont work most of the channels are blury, the lock in the door doesnt work, the toilet stinks, my partner's daughter iPad has been stolen in the room last year, and the staffs are very untrained , very incompetent , can't do a simple bookings at all. It's simply needs a proper management.

We did tried many times to speak to the manager to discuss about it but he is always in a meeting everyday.

But we have a really good time in Port Vila during the horse racing. It was great.

4  Thank Lenjie V
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Lenjie V,

Not always easy to respond to such a review. By all accounts I will take responsibility for this review however overall it does not portray the Hotel in an overall stay experience given the past three months reflecting a 90% four - five star rating by reviewers who on average stay with us for a period of 5 nights or longer and sample all we have on offer here at the Resort. We are always striving for perfection although clearly we have missed it in your case which I sincerely apologize for. I would no doubt suggest you wont be back so in any case I agree with you that the race weekend was fabulous including both the Ball, hosted here and the Carbine lunch, also hosted here at the Resort. We also were lucky enough to have had Damien Oliver stay with us who was a fantastic speaker. So visiting locally or overseas alike the race weekend in Vanuatu is a fantastic week where if given the opportunity is a "must do".

Many Thanks

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Amazing place. Beautiful pools. Loved catching the boat across to an island. Cheap food at the resort pool bar. Fantastic $3 an hour babysitting. Loads of cabs sitting at the front of the resort waiting to take you anywhere for a cheap price. Can't wait to go back. Stayed 8 nights but should've stayed 2 weeks.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Lotusstar1

Dear Lotusstar1,

Thank you for your fantastic review. Short and sweet..........maybe next time 2 weeks? Look forward to seeing you again next year.