“Great resort for a relaxing holiday.”

Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Port Vila
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This resort had everything. Very friendly and hard working staff. Fantastic gardens, great choices for dining, spacious and clean accommodation and lots of available resort activities. We visited other resorts in Vanuatu which were also very good but we have to say Le Lagoon was the best. The buffet breakfast and themed buffet dinners were excellent. The dine in menus were of high quality and reasonably priced. Thanks to all the staff for a great holiday.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room. The gardens are lovely so a garden view room is great value.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sebastian262
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Sebastian262,

A lovely review indeed, again I have to concur that the grounds and the landscaping are second to none, I nearly run out of breath each day thanking the team for their efforts in this area as we get so many great comments. Yes, the dining options are great with Wild Ginger (A-la-Carte), Lagoon Terrace (Buffet), Pool Side Grill during the day, Lobby Bar and of course Room Service so there is much to chose from to experience variety if on a long term stay. A nice short and sweet review.

Many Thanks,

Jeremy Walsh

Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is a real 5 stars, it has it all.

The best thing about it is their happy hour, the best and surprisingly cheapest beer in town.
50% on everything, not just cheap beers like some other places such as the water front or ankers.
I am talking about the whole bar, and nothing stops you from sipping an ice cold beer while sited at the pool bar.

However there's a very bad note....I do not recommend to anyone to order a cocktail...why you would ask me ?
Well, this establishment uses spirits made by a local distiller. The thing is that distiller uses ethanol to make their spirits and then add perfume and coloring to it, to make it taste like let's say captain morgan or malibu.
Ethanol spirits are extremely dangerous and toxic.
The F and B manager should remove all those spirits from the bar shelves before someone end up in the hospital, and how come he's not aware that the lagoon is using such poison ?
A 5 star resort should only use proper brands and certainly not cheap stuff as such.
When i realized they using this nasty brew to my make my cocktail, i sent it back and requested proper brands to be used. The bar tender refused. i then requested to speak to the duty manager, but he never shown up....i rest my case...

Other than that, it's great place, the staff is fantastic, just don't order a cocktail unless you see what spirit they use. If it's made my tropical nectar, refuse the drink.

You've been warned....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Zeflyingchef

Dear Zeflyingchef,

Thank you for your kind review of our bar.

Hmmm, not real sure where to start with this one however a good starting point probably is that ethanol is actually known as alcohol. Ethanol is the base for nearly every alcoholic drink you consume. For example Vodka is water and ethanol, as does Scotch whisky contain ethanol and readers well may be shocked to find out that yes, even a nice cold beer has ethanol in it? The formula for ethanol (alcohol) is C2H6O which I am sure no one is familiar with including myself, just thought I would throw it in there. What I do know is that I am a little partial to ethanol myself, mainly in the form of beer! Not to much as it seems to make you do silly things from time to time and to much of it over a prolonged period of time can cause damage to your liver I am told?

I am glad you really enjoyed our bar though as it can get a little warm over here. All the more reason to relax, have a cocktail and enjoy...

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Warwick earlier this month and whilst we enjoyed our stay there we thought the holiday inn (which we stayed at the week before Warwick) was nicer.
The Warwick has beautiful pools, beautiful gardens, is located in a great spot being directly opposite erakor island, and is 700 vatu taxi ride from town. The rooms are good being in units of 4 so not as many shared walls and being able to walk right out on the grass. Breakfast was good but not as good as holiday inn in my opinion. The other restaurant food is good although a bit more variety would be nice. The food was a bit cheaper than holiday inn. And half price happy hour each day was great.
The things I didn't like were that the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. This was probably due to the fact that they went on strike one morning during our stay so they obviously have some work issues. We woke up on our first morning to find no staff at breakfast and all that was available was cereal and milk and leftover bread rolls, cheese, fruit etc. I asked if a credit would be given for this lost meal but was denied.
Another thing that bugged us was that of the four sail boats they had three were broken so only one was available to use and hard to get as such.
Also I don't see why people rave so much about the kids club. The staff were very unfriendly and uninterested. I watched one night at dinner as they let a mean girl pick on a very small girl and do nothing about it, I watched as they let two very young children play unwatched in the outside playground, one night we left our kids in kids club after dinner and we picked them up at 7.45 to find them the only kids left watching nickelodeon on tv (dora of all things and our kids are both boys!!) while the carer sat with earphones in her ears. They also didn't tell us until the night we wanted to go out for dinner that kids under 5 are not welcome to kids club in the evening - you need to pay a babysitter for under 5's in the evening. My kids only went twice to kids club and they hated it and begged not to go.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but not as much as the holiday inn. I would still return there if I found a good deal but my preference would be to try another hotel next time.
Tip: take a ferry to Erakor Island directly opposite the Warwick, it costs 1,000 vatu per adult and half that for kids but you get to spend that amount of money at the restaurant on the island. its a nice island to visit for a half day trip. Our kids loved the playground there and they also do pizza and movie nights etc.

Room Tip: if you want to use kids club ask for a room near kids club as some are very far away.

Dear rach_lock

Thank you for your comments. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay. The industrial relations actions I commented previously on a further down review. I cant really understand the kids club comments but I guess if that is what you experienced then it clearly wasn't right. We try to cater for a wide range of children from all ages and genders so from time to time a generic show will be played for the kids although it would be nice to tailor to individual viewing.
It is nice that you would possibly return and I hope you do although naturally that is your decision. Moreover I hope you enjoyed Vanuatu as a destination and it is important above all that no matter where you chose to stay in Vanuatu, that Vanuatu is a destination worth visiting.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Warwick in a garden view room for 7 nights. The variety and quantity at the buffet breakfast was fantastic - but I expected a lot more seasonal fruit would be available. The staff were more than happy to help out and would get my daughters more jelly or ice cream when they asked for it. The meals at night were a little expensive, as were the drinks - approx. $6.00 AUD for a frozen coke for the kids is too much! but the fact that kids eat free made up for that, the kids meals were excellent!!. Happy hour each night was great but the staff probably need to be a little more organised or the crowd during this time. Lunch and dinner at the bar was a change from the buffet and were excellent! BEWARE: the door to the toilet in the room is only a sliding timber slat door! and the shower does not close off completely from the bedroom. While this was not a real problem for us it could be for a group of friends or extended family staying together. The room was clean and the bed was good. One day we required more towels and they were delivered to us quickly and with a smile. While we only used the kids club once the girls loved it and the staff remembered my daughters names - which was really nice. My husband, his brother and father played a round of golf by all reports it was a great course they enjoyed them selves but said they would hire a buggy next time. Would definitely recommend this resort to families who like to relax by the pool and those who might like to use the resort as a base for day trips.

Quick tip:Just outside the resort is a little shop that sells bottled water for approx. $1.50 don't pay the $5.00 for the water in the rooms!

Room Tip: For a family of four the garden suite was great!
3  Thank Tamjo2012

Dear Tamjo2012,

Thank you, a nice review and some constructive points here for other readers reading the review and for myself. Interesting you bring up the shower not closing off completely from the bedroom, I hadn't really thought of or heard of that so appreciate the comment. I will have to ponder on that one for a while as don't think that will be an overnight fix however let me do some detective work and see if I cant come up with an alternative or something for a permanent fix.
Glad the kids had a great time in kids club albeit for a day but at least they got to experience it. Golf is a bit of fun and I tend to agree on the taking buggy aspect of it........then again it can be walked which is good so you get the option,
Again many thanks and appreciation....

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We just had a great week at Le Lagon. We had a beautiful room (Lagoon Bungalow) right on the edge of Erakor Lagoon. A great spot to watch the world go by and have pre dinner drinks. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The thing I love about Vanuatu is that you start relaxing as soon as you get off the plane. Its great for time poor people in need of a break and Le Lagon added to the experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terry T

Dear Terry T,

Couldn't agree with you more about time poor people. When you take a holiday and don't have much time it is imperative that you chose wisely. I like your feedback here and identify some key words out it "Beautiful" - "Watch the world go by" - "Friendly" - "Relaxing" - "Vanuatu".
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was our first visit to Vanuatu and despite travelling extensively over many years, this was our first overseas holiday with all 5 kids, aged 5 to 14. We only booked for one week in case we or the kids didn't like it. Additionally my sister and her son decided join us so we had 9 in total.

Within 24hrs of arriving at Le Lagon, we realised we should have booked for longer. Next year.
The resort facilities along with its' friendly staff were simply fantastic.
We had a wonderful relaxing stay that delivered to all our expectations and more.
It's awesome pools (according to my kids), sports on the white sand lagoon waterfront, the free water activities hut and not to mention the pool bar accessible from 2 pools, provided a constant variety of things for us to do and places to unwind.

The location is also great. It's only a 5 minute walk to the frequent boat that takes you over to nearby Erakor Island. A lovely relaxing place to visit during the day or at night if you feel like somewhere else to have a drink or a meal by the beach. It's such easy access that it simply feels like an extension to the resort.

It would be unfair to single out any particular staff for praise as they were all so friendly and helpful at all times. Everyone from the reception, lobby bar, pool bar, kids club, activity hut and restaurants was pleasant and helpful.

The food at the Wild Ginger Japanese restaurant was excellent.

Vanuatu and in particular Le lagon were exactly what we were wanted for our family holiday.
For me, it's a lay down misere for an annual resort style family holiday.

With a minimum 7 of us and maybe some extended family as well, planning is essential.
Therefore not only are we about to start planning our next trip but we have already recommended the resort to several of our friends who we know go on reasonably regular family holidays. I've left a couple of minor comments on the resort feedback forms related to including some healthy options on the kids menu such as salad or vegetable sides instead of just chips, as well as some extra banana lounges for the busy period but overall our family thought the resort was fabulous.

Before we arrived, I didn't think our kids would like going to a kids club but as it turns out, what do I know? They loved it, and it was free except for a few specific activities like T-shirt painting. In fact our kids didn't want to leave and either did we which is precisely how everyone should feel at the end of any great holiday.

I understand from a casual poolside chat with Jeremy the approachable General Manager and some of the other resort staff that the resort is going through a series of changes and improvements so I can't wait to return next year and see what they've added.

Room Tip: I think we had reasonably standard rooms (interconnecting) and we really like the huge shower area...
1  Thank 72DeanM

Dear 72DeanM,

Thank you very much Dean for your thought out comments and it was great to meet you when you were here, albeit we just caught up on your last day. I know you were very keen to ensure that your holiday was going to go well and it pleases me no end that we delivered! Indeed it certainly is a big family you have so can always understand that all needs to go well.....The staff in the kids club do a great job which in turn allows Mum and Dad some down time knowing they are happy and being looked after, I also have some further entertainment plans for the kids club and activities so hopefully it can become "Mum and Dad Who?" Chef is looking at the healthy option selections for the kids as agree the young ones also need variety. I sincerely appreciate your recommendations to friends, constructive feedback and look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have recently just returned back from yet again another of many of my visits to this resort. We call this our second home. We have built wonderful relationships with alot of great staff members. We have also built a family with people from the village beside the resort. What saddens me thoe is the fact that we were here in February and the staff were so much happier back then. I have noticed that there has been a change to higher up staff members and since this change has happened staff dont seem to be very happy. They are however still very very good with the guests but because i know the staff i can see the difference in them. I will be back again soon as everytime we leave its harder to stay away from

Room Tip: if you have kids we always choose to stay in a lagoon bottom room so then you can walk out your room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cathygreg3
Jeremy W, General Manager at Warwick Le Lagon - Vanuatu, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Cathygreg3,

It was a pleasure to meet you when you were here and thank you for your continued patronage of the Hotel, much appreciated. It is nice you have become friendly with the locals as they all know and love you. It is also, as you know, an honor and a privilege to be invited into Villages in the Pacific.
With the staff related comments, for others reading this review, may I kindly refer you to the posted comment below by Jennifer b. This might explain what you have experienced although if it isn't I will catch up with you on your next stay if convenient to dig deeper if you feel it may be related to something else as it certainly has caught me off guard a bit. Much of my initial three months has been giving much to my staff whom I respect deeply and treat with utmost respect whilst appreciating their culture. This I have been doing for the last 6 years whilst living in the Pacific Islands. Nonetheless thank you so much for your rating and I look forward to seeing you next time.........keep up the swimming and well done on your swim when you were here.